Need tips for finding a voice provider (not looking for one yet)!

Ctrl Alt Delete Bones

Momo's Minion
Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have a few questions concerning requesting/contacting a voice provider for an UTAUloid. I'm not looking for any right now, but I will in the future. This'll mostly contain personal opinions, but any help is appreciated! Here's what I do know so far:

-What type of voice I'm looking for
-How to email and use Paypal
-The design/character for the UTAUloid
-Copyright/Usage rules
-How to use UTAU and make a voicebank (obviously)
-I'll be asking in the UTASWAP forums here

Here's what I don't know yet:

1. How much should I pay someone that I choose for a voicebank? It'll be publicly distributed for free when complete, but I'll be allowing it for commercial purposes.
2. If I end up producing paid physical copies of said voicebank, how much should I pay in royalty fees?
3. Do I even need to give money to the voice provider at all?
4. What else do I need to know about this procedure?

I've never done this before, and I'll most likely only do this once, so I'd like to hear from others who have experience with this! Thank you!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You're going to have a very difficult time finding available voice providers on UtaForum, because most people who are able to record have already recorded voicebanks for themselves. Here are some suggestions for other places to search.

Collaborate with a Vtuber: They have an established character and brand, so you can do the labor of producing a voicebank on their behalf. They will retain management rights, but you will need to coach them through the recording process and handle things like configuration. I've produced UTAU banks for an organization's mascots once, and vocals were provided by organization members. If you're interested in seeing those results, you can watch this video. Those voicebanks are not considered "my UTAU"; I'm just the person they needed to put in the credits.

Collaborate with a youtaite: Depending on the person, you'll either be able to work for them (it's still their brand and they make the character, they're the manager) or they could work for you (it's your character/brand and you're the manager, they're simply the voicer). This collaboration would be negotiated on an individual basis. They would most likely prefer to record a voicebank in whatever language they typically sing in.

Hire a vocalist on Fiverr or similar platforms: The project and management will entirely belong to you. The payment rate would be set by the vocalist on Fiverr. You can explain the concept of an UTAU voicebank by saying that it's a sample pack for musicians and that you intend to distribute the final configured sample pack. You will absolutely need to coach them through the script, possibly by sending an existing voicebank as reference.

Reactions: Kazumimi

Ctrl Alt Delete Bones

Momo's Minion
You're going to have a very difficult time finding available voice providers on UtaForum, because most people who are able to record have already recorded voicebanks for themselves. Here are some suggestions for other places to search.

Collaborate with a Vtuber: They have an established character and brand, so you can do the labor of producing a voicebank on their behalf. They will retain management rights, but you will need to coach them through the recording process and handle things like configuration. I've produced UTAU banks for an organization's mascots once, and vocals were provided by organization members. If you're interested in seeing those results, you can watch this video. Those voicebanks are not considered "my UTAU"; I'm just the person they needed to put in the credits.

Collaborate with a youtaite: Depending on the person, you'll either be able to work for them (it's still their brand and they make the character, they're the manager) or they could work for you (it's your character/brand and you're the manager, they're simply the voicer). This collaboration would be negotiated on an individual basis. They would most likely prefer to record a voicebank in whatever language they typically sing in.

Hire a vocalist on Fiverr or similar platforms: The project and management will entirely belong to you. The payment rate would be set by the vocalist on Fiverr. You can explain the concept of an UTAU voicebank by saying that it's a sample pack for musicians and that you intend to distribute the final configured sample pack. You will absolutely need to coach them through the script, possibly by sending an existing voicebank as reference.
Okay, thank you! Since I have created an original character for the UTAUloid, I'd most likely go with Fiverr or teaming up with a youtaite. I'll just have to check out which ones there are!