New to UTAU and hello, hello!

Hi! My name is Euphoria Experiment! And I am a newbie to the UTAU forms, I am looking at options on how to make Vocaloid-like music and my own characters. I don't have any software but I am looking to making my own music in the near future, hopefully.

In the meantime, I write stories and do art, if you wanna hear about my original ideas lmk! :smile:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Welcome to UTAforum! If you're getting started with writing music, here's a collection of songwriting resources you can refer to: https://utaforum.net/resources/songwriting-resources.181/
Much of the items listed there are completely free of charge!

When you say "Vocaloid-like" music, which specific Vocaloid producers are you referring to? After all, Vocaloid isn't a genre, and there are so many different styles of music in the vocalsynth community.

Euphoria_Experiment999

Momo's Minion
Welcome to UTAforum! If you're getting started with writing music, here's a collection of songwriting resources you can refer to: https://utaforum.net/resources/songwriting-resources.181/
Much of the items listed there are completely free of charge!

When you say "Vocaloid-like" music, which specific Vocaloid producers are you referring to? After all, Vocaloid isn't a genre, and there are so many different styles of music in the vocalsynth community.

Hmm, I guess when I mean "Vocaloid-like" music, I mean I can have my own character with a tweaked voicebank. Or mostly as a composer, I would say.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What are you looking to do, music-wise is what @Kiyoteru is asking. Vocalsynth itself isn't a single genre. "Vocaloid-like music with my own character" is literally any kind of music made with a vocal synth. That synth can be UTAU (which I presume you will be using), Vocaloid, Emvoice, Cevio, Chipspeech, etc. The music itself is dependent on what the producer (i.e. you) gravitates towards stylistically. What genres of music do you like? Rock? Pop? Metal? Ska? Hip Hop? 70's Disco?

Euphoria_Experiment999

Momo's Minion
What are you looking to do, music-wise is what @Kiyoteru is asking. Vocalsynth itself isn't a single genre. "Vocaloid-like music with my own character" is literally any kind of music made with a vocal synth. That synth can be UTAU (which I presume you will be using), Vocaloid, Emvoice, Cevio, Chipspeech, etc. The music itself is dependent on what the producer (i.e. you) gravitates towards stylistically. What genres of music do you like? Rock? Pop? Metal? Ska? Hip Hop? 70's Disco?

Rock, pop, hip-hop, etc... Sorry I wasn't clear in my last post. But yes, I'm looking for a synth for a character. (I hope that makes sense, I'm new to this stuff so I don't know how deep this stuff is) I'm looking at Utau & Cevio for synths at the moment.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you plan on making your own character and giving them a voice, then UTAU is the most accessible route monetarily for the average individual, but it will require some work on your part:

• Because most of these vocal synthesis programs are made to run on Japanese Windows machines, you will need to change your locale to Japan if you have a non-Japanese computer running Windows. Open Control Panel. Go to Clock & Region. Click on Region. Go to the Administrative tab. Under 'Language for non-Unicode programs' change this from whatever your current region is to Japan. Restart when prompted.
  • You'll need a way to record (if you have a non-existent budget, then you'll have to work with what you have access to - be it the computer mic, a friend's mic, the recording app on your smartphone, etc.)
  • You'll need software to record with. There's Oremo, which is made specifically to record voice libraries for UTAU. Downloading File /users/23/23290/oremo-english-3.0-b190106.zip - OSDN . There is also Audacity. Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. (audacityteam.org)
  • You'll need a recording list - reclist for shorthand - for the language and format you want to record for. The easiest recording method and language to get your feet wet with the recording process is Japanese CV. In fact, this very recording method is the default within Oremo.
  • You should consult resources on your language of choice for pronunciation guides, the alphabet/characters (in the case of Japanese, you'll primarily be working with hiragana)
  • Once the voice is recorded, you'll need to have it configured so that it works in UTAU. You can learn by using the resources available on-site, receive 1 on 1 help with someone willing to tutor you, or you can commission someone and pay $$$.
  • You can make the character's artwork at this point. Free software that I know of are Krita and GIMP. You will need a drawing tablet to use these effectively. If you don't have the means to draw, then you can commission an art piece or use any of the available doll makers available on the internet as a quick source of concept.
How to put all of these moving pieces together? You'll need...
  • UTAU
  • A proper DAW (studio one prime for example)
  • A proper video editor (I don't know free recommendations off the top of my head, as my software is proprietary)
  • time and patience to learn how to use everything.

Euphoria_Experiment999

Momo's Minion
H
If you plan on making your own character and giving them a voice, then UTAU is the most accessible route monetarily for the average individual, but it will require some work on your part:

• Because most of these vocal synthesis programs are made to run on Japanese Windows machines, you will need to change your locale to Japan if you have a non-Japanese computer running Windows. Open Control Panel. Go to Clock & Region. Click on Region. Go to the Administrative tab. Under 'Language for non-Unicode programs' change this from whatever your current region is to Japan. Restart when prompted.
  • You'll need a way to record (if you have a non-existent budget, then you'll have to work with what you have access to - be it the computer mic, a friend's mic, the recording app on your smartphone, etc.)
  • You'll need software to record with. There's Oremo, which is made specifically to record voice libraries for UTAU. Downloading File /users/23/23290/oremo-english-3.0-b190106.zip - OSDN . There is also Audacity. Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. (audacityteam.org)
  • You'll need a recording list - reclist for shorthand - for the language and format you want to record for. The easiest recording method and language to get your feet wet with the recording process is Japanese CV. In fact, this very recording method is the default within Oremo.
  • You should consult resources on your language of choice for pronunciation guides, the alphabet/characters (in the case of Japanese, you'll primarily be working with hiragana)
  • Once the voice is recorded, you'll need to have it configured so that it works in UTAU. You can learn by using the resources available on-site, receive 1 on 1 help with someone willing to tutor you, or you can commission someone and pay $$$.
  • You can make the character's artwork at this point. Free software that I know of are Krita and GIMP. You will need a drawing tablet to use these effectively. If you don't have the means to draw, then you can commission an art piece or use any of the available doll makers available on the internet as a quick source of concept.
How to put all of these moving pieces together? You'll need...
  • UTAU
  • A proper DAW (studio one prime for example)
  • A proper video editor (I don't know free recommendations off the top of my head, as my software is proprietary)
  • time and patience to learn how to use everything.

Thanks! I'll be taking these to heart! I'll try and see what I can do, thanks again!