Odd problems installing voicebanks in Utau-synth

gil

Teto's Territory
So lately I tried downloading Utau-synth to see if I like it better or worse than running the PC app through wineskin. It downloaded fine and I got it to work in english, which is great. my problem is with installing voicebanks…whether voicebanks work or not has been an absolute crapshoot. I didn't have any trouble finding the 'voice' folder, so I just did what I do with the pc app and dragged in the VB folders. From there on is where I'm having problems; the app seems to arbitrarily decide whether it will recognize a voicebank

These are voicebanks that work:
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 8.07.26 PM.png
The images load and stuff. They sound great. I just don't understand why they work and the others don't

Some that don't work won't load the icon and they look like this:
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 8.10.30 PM.png
When this happens, what also seems to happen is that the program doesn't have all the voice files. I'll look under 'voicebank settings' and find a lot missing

Others will load the icon like this but the program brings up an error message when I try to play notes. It will say "no notes to render"

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 7.36.40 PM.png

In the particular vb I used to get that last screenshot, the app did seem to be able to find the source files. I can go to 'voicebank settings' and click on the audio files, so I think there's something between that part and the app being able to attach the files to the ust that things go wrong

In short, I don't know how to solve this problem because I don't know where exactly the app is having an issue. It's very weird to me that I downloaded various voicebanks from the same developer and some will work and some won't. Thanks for reading and please help if possible

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
UTAU-Synth is different from Windows UTAU in that you don't need to put the voicebanks all in one folder for them to be recognized. Simply decompress the voicebank using Unarchiver: https://theunarchiver.com/
And add ".utau" to the end of the folder name. You will be able to double click them to open them in UTAU-Synth.

The drop down from the voicebank icon will only show the most recently used voicebanks, but it should be fairly easy to keep your entire collection of voicebanks organized and easy to access in Finder.

gil

Teto's Territory
UTAU-Synth is different from Windows UTAU in that you don't need to put the voicebanks all in one folder for them to be recognized. Simply decompress the voicebank using Unarchiver: https://theunarchiver.com/
And add ".utau" to the end of the folder name. You will be able to double click them to open them in UTAU-Synth.

The drop down from the voicebank icon will only show the most recently used voicebanks, but it should be fairly easy to keep your entire collection of voicebanks organized and easy to access in Finder.
(I do remember your advice to me last time I asked for help so I've been very careful to only unzip with the unarchiver)

I'm going to try renaming the folders like you said, but I'm not confident it will do anything since I didn't have to rename certain other voicebanks to get them to work. Thanks for your time Kiyoteru
Post automatically merged:

(I do remember your advice to me last time I asked for help so I've been very careful to only unzip with the unarchiver)

I'm going to try renaming the folders like you said, but I'm not confident it will do anything since I didn't have to rename certain other voicebanks to get them to work. Thanks for your time Kiyoteru

Oh, unfortunately I tried this and it didn't seem to work At the very least, it didn't make anything more broken. Thanks anyway

Last edited:

gil

Teto's Territory
Update sort of: I did some digging and found something interesting. When I compare a voicebank that works versus one that doesn't load, I found out that in voicebank settings, the one that doesn't work is missing suffixes. screenshots to compare:

VB that works:
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.29.51 PM.png

VB that doesn't work:
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.28.53 PM.png

I loaded the voicebank that doesn't work on synth into the PC app that I run through wineskin and it worked just fine. I checked the prefix/suffix stuff and it does have information in it:
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.01.15 PM.png

So it didn't get unzipped weird or anything, it seems to be the app itself that can't read something inside the voicebanks' files which would tell it what the suffixes are and stuff like that

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That file is named "prefix.map", and if I recall correctly, UTAU-Synth tries to convert it to a file named "prefix_map.txt".

gil

Teto's Territory
That file is named "prefix.map", and if I recall correctly, UTAU-Synth tries to convert it to a file named "prefix_map.txt".
I'm able to find the prefix.map files inside all my voicebanks, but I can't open up the files to compare them because my computer doesn't have any apps that can open .map files

Utau-synth has not actually tried to convert any of these files into .txt, maybe that was something present in earlier versions

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
They're just plain text files, so you can still open them in TextEdit or any text editor of your choice.

gil

Teto's Territory
Oh, if I change the ending I can open it in textedit? I'll have to try that and see if there's anything inside that would indicate why some work and some don't.