OFF by Mortis Ghost

LuciDicul

Momo's Minion
I see that there's no thread for this game on here, so I'll just start one. This game is really interesting, and at a good length too. It has a way of making you feel uncomfortable at times..but I won't spoil anything. Just discuss stuff about this game here, and if you're stuck, you can get help (although I will post a link to a walkthrough on here).

The graphics aren't the best (the portraits are pretty good, though), but I think it was a stylistic choice.

tumblr_mj7o3bOwol1rdlfmuo1_r1_500.gif

Download the English translation (also has a link to the original French version) from this thread:
http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Fan/Games/OFF-by-Mortis-Ghost/page/1/

Walkthrough (for those who need it):
http://jayisgames.com/archives/2012/06/off.php

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Cool, I'm going to try this game. I've seen it around a bit but I'm pretty much going in blind.

Edit: I'm getting an error: "?????? system4 ?????"

And then I tried installing RPGmaker 2003 and got the same error but with system2 instead of 4.

Nevermind~

Feather Boy

Momo's Minion
I-I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you fix it? I've been getting the same message, and I can't find any answers....

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Feather Boy said:
I-I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you fix it? I've been getting the same message, and I can't find any answers....

I just downloaded the game from the other mirror. On the Starmen.net thread there's two different links, since the game is hosted on two different sites. Whichever one was giving you issues, download the other.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Oh my goodness THIS GAME <3

Since I didn't see it in on the translation thread, here's a Mac version I found. It's set up through Wine and works great (I use the latest version of Mountain Lion and I didn't need any extra downloads to get it to work)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
OFF has spawned a lot of fangames! The ones I currently have are HOME, unknown, CLUELESS, FastForward, and 365. I died against the first boss of HOME, but recently I beat unknown and got the good ending! (or one of the good endings??)

I HEREBY COMMAND YOU TO SHIP ME x ZACHARIE. IT IS VERY CANON. //slapped

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
*bumps again*

Real sorry for that, but... I only got really into this game an entire YEAR after it was popular, and I really want to find other people to talk about it with.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Okay, now this is a really old necro but it's relevant I swear!

I remember seeing this thread last year (and judging from many internet images and posts and dates, you were into it at the right time past-Adlez) and ignoring it because the graphics were meh and there was no summary - REGRET.

The Let's Player Markiplier finished an LP of it yesterday and as soon as he started I was hooked, it's so facinating! And The endings were so interesting and sad! Though it's weird to see that the mistranslation is still there when you face the Queen. I'm really glad he played it though, opened my eyes and likely many others to the glory of OFF.

Wish there was less to see though, it became the most tagged game of all time on Tumblr so there's no real way to me to ever look at everything.

Oh here's a fun thing, anyone believe any of the fanons? Like did anyone see four-eyed batter the first part? I definetly believe the fanon that the Batter is only a Batter because of the comic books Hugo read, works in both the parents fanon and the created parents fanon/canon. I also really like the fanon that Zacharie is actually the Guardian of the game of OFF itself, because so few fanons can explain him and he's mentioned by Hugo that he's nice, that one art by Mortis Ghost of him with wings+sword, that he likely killed the Frog King, that he's still alive after everything, etc.

/a year late to talk about this

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
No, although some errors could be solved by installing the fonts and the RTP.

As for you, shinami, I have so many things to discuss you don't even KNOW.

First off I run six RP blogs, half of which are OFF-related (wanderingdealer, aurusiantraitor, and sugarybullshit)

Anyway, markiplier's play was pretty brilliant! My only gripes were that he went back into the purified zones too early, and that he renamed EPSILON. What kind of a name is "Oxnard"!??? There's a crack roleplay blog for Epsilon that's quite beloved, so it's my first thought of the circle.

As for content on tumblr, I'm glad you're finding so much of it. After the initial popularity boost had died down a lot of people complained about the off fandom being dead, but truth was that it remained very much alive and people just needed to look for it rather than expect it to spontaneously appear on their dashes.

Fanons. Oh so many fanons. There's a billion to talk about but I'll just reply to your thoughts. I like the four eyed batter, since there's a brilliant fanfic named How To Maintain Your Composure that features him as an inhuman creature called a Fury, as well as the judges perception of Bad Batter in his ending.

As for the Hugo creating the queen and batter, there's a comic of Hugo trying to remember his parents, drawing pictures of them, and those pictures coming to life. So yeah, part of the inspiration would've come from the father having given him the comic. Perhaps Hugo saw his father in the role of the Ballman, the villain, because of how his father cared for him.

Zacharie being the guardian of the game itself is an interesting idea, I don't think I've really heard it before. I've actually got three sets of headcanons for the game, some aspects are shared between them but otherwise they're fairly distinct. In my third set, which is HEAVILY centered around the secret ending (or rather an AU thing of mine based on it) the game was actually manipulated into happening by a traitor of the "flying brains" from Aurus who provided the space apes with plans for the vicious robot army built upon purified lands. ("Flying brains" is also just a stereotype of Aurusians from the view of the apes, they're just highly intelligent humanoids. Their middle school is roughly equivalent to earth's university level.)

As for the frog king thing and meta knowledge of the game, my second set covers it. You know in that one chapter of the room when all the guardians are utopists in a post apocalyptic world? Well that post apocalyptic world is the location of the toad kingdom and that was another RPG type experience with Zacharie as the protagonist (This game was actually planned to be made, but eventually scrapped.) The frog king himself is the final boss of the quest for toad kingdom.

Then during the events of OFF, the game actually repeats continually so that other puppeteers/players can play. That's how Zacharie knows about all the events before the happen and is so nonchalant about helping the batter through it, because he is aware that it's merely fiction. (It's interesting when RP blog characters get directly involved with coding and such, because I've actually looked at the game coding and they're nothing more than sprites and dialogue in specific locations.)

The wings are Addons and the sword is merely his weapon of choice.

-//I'm so sorry that like half of this is about Zacharie but he's my favorite character and the same thing happened with my off/vocautau EP, most of the songs were about Zacharie

When it comes to shipping I generally go with Zach involved stuff, like Sugarie, Batterie, and Zachacest. Doesn't mean I don't still love me some Batter x Queen or any elsen and guardian stuff.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
eeee a geek to discuss things with
I've gotten two friends to watch or play the game, and while they liked it they're far from geeking out.

Dang that's cool doing RP! I've tried to RP for years and years and I've given up - I just can't dedicate to one. And I have a hard time playing characters - while I can understand human nature, logic, and emotions, I find it very hard to change my mindset. I can't imagine how hard it must be to RP an omnipotent type character like Zacharie especially. I generally just go on crack-tangents even with original characters.

Markiplier's voiceacting was great and I was happy that he got every ending and tried to describe the impact the game had on him. Though it did irritate me when he was being an idiot about Zacharie wearing The Judge mask and it would have been cool if he tried to describe his own theories at the end of the game (and I also don't know if he realized the significance of the music box/the comic/other endgame things). But ah well he was veryearnest about it. Kinda hope he'll play .flow someday after this.

Yeah it's a bit disappointing that I missed the popularity flood by a year. But it is sorta around? I finally found the Mortis Ghost post with the multi-eyed Batter and huge sweater Zacharie that I'd heard about and that was about half a year ago, gave me a good laugh.

(oooh that's another question to ask, what version of Zacharie do you like best? I kinda like one in the middle - tall, not skinny but not huge, and sweater yes I like the sweater idea even if it isn't canon. Though all Zacharies are welcome~)

One headcanon/fanon I kinda wish people would explore more is if OFF really WAS the real world. I knew about the ending beforehand but when Dedan said Earth it really threw me for a loop. Like if Hugo is human how does he survive in a world with only sugar and meat? How do people survive? It's something mentally hard to grasp and convert to reality while maintaining the game's status quo, but worth it. A fanfic I am reading has explored it a bit, in that most of the plot is when the Player leaves the game for two weeks leaving the Batter unable to progress and Zacharie trying to force him to do other things than Purify, find new things to pursue, and interestingly you see how Zacharie changes without the Script forcing him to be The Merchant. I dunno.

You said good fanfics, any recommendations? I ship Batterie pretty hard (I ship the Batter pretty hard like you ship Zachaire, hahah, I think it's intersting to explore his personality/lack of one, how much he really knows and can do, etc). Though I'm often very very very disliking of OCs and Player inserts unless it's more contemplating the game or they're very minor. IT's just self inserts and I don't want the Players writing themselves in to mess with the characters nicely established in the games. (sorry just a prejudice gained over nine years of reading various fandoms' fanfiction, it can be done well rarely)

Oh wait so that was said by Mortis Ghost himself or was it a fangame? I'm giong to go ahead and adopt my Star Wars attitude for this game - only the main game made by the man himself is canon, the rest is fan stuff. *dislikes Star Wars EU and can appreciate it but it isn't canon* Though I do love the idea that Zacharie amongst Eloha and Batter has add-ons, makes him special as them~

((Sorry for my wall of text as well ahahah))

I just like how blank this game is, it's all up to interpretation, especially the Batter. Don't worry about your focus. Whenever I get into a fandom I tend to zone in on a specific character to be my favorite and to explore the works of, most often being hte main character since most story events center around them, and the Batter is the lucky one in this case.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, although a lot of the time I'm just in my chatroom, 603. It used to be a lot more active, and it was dead for a while but we're picking up a couple people again.

I'm not really upset about missing the popular age, because much like fandoms for Black Butler and such, with more people you only get shallower interpretations like a cutesy Zacharie in love with Batter and various other jokes. Having the quiet space to analyze, or at least just getting deeper into the fandom, you get more interesting and thought-out stuff.

The giant sweater and the multi-eyed batter were posted after the toilet got fixed, right? I think they were actually doodled as exaggerated versions of fandom interpretations with sweater Zachs and four eyed batters. The multi-eyed batter has inspired a LOT of beautiful fanart though, it makes him all the more monstrous.

My first Zacharie is short and fat, my second is average, and my third isn't human. Cute little Zachs are fine but I also like those bara ones sometimes, hehe....

I like to think of OFF being it's own separate world rather than the earth though. I've got more headcanons considering the nothingness though. It's the empty space between worlds, dimensions, what have you. It's the EXACT same place as the void in minecraft, or the furthest ring in homestuck, and the places that connect nothingness to actual locations are Gates (which are red cubes in OFF)

As for the meat and sugar thing, Elsen aren't quite normal people, I share the headcanon of them being meat puppets created by the queen. The spectres actually come from the vestigial souls of dead elsens.

I recommend How To Maintain Your Composure and C12H22O11, they're both amazing and expand on the world. A lot of the other fanfics I've read were, um, written by Snax to say the least.....

As for the puppeteer stuff, I really don't have anything against it in the context of OFF. Sure, self insert OCs can go badly more easily, but the player is already a character of the game. In fact, part of my blogcanon is that my own persona had removed Zacharie from the game due to being such a fangirl and wanting to preserve their favorite character when a hack went wrong. (This story is actually based on the time when I was trying to edit the code, and when I tried to reopen my project, I got an error code with corrupted maps.)

And yeah, it was something like a "we're thinking about it" in response to being asked if there will be additional games from them, and maybe a sketch or two, but the idea was scrapped. As for fangames, there's a lot that the fandom is familiar with. HOME is one of the most well made games, and UNKNOWN is a sequel that takes player involvement to a whole new level.

The open ended nature of the game really does open up all the possibilities for fan interpretation. It's kind of sad how not many people pay attention to the secret ending, it's treated like a joke and more of a "we do not speak of it" type of thing. It's actually something I really love, because from what little of the space apes and their world we know, I created a really fun AU of my own (that's mainly based around the apes rivals). The society I imagined up for one of the countries of Aurus, Ethikel, fits fairly well with the general dystopic theme of songs that I write. I even started work on a conlang, and I've got Aurusian OCs as UTAUs with Ethikelas banks. (Can you say, taking it too far...)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Can't believe I forgot to mention this, but my icon is Zacharie wearing an angry mask. Almost everyone has a headcanon that he hides facial scars or needs to filter smoke, but Mortis said he just likes masks (much like mortis himself) so I occasionally doodle him with other expressions

DeadRobotGirl

Teto's Territory
I played Off last summer, it took me the whole season to finish, but it was SO worth it. Many tears were shed, and much Batter x Zacharie was shipped. (Yes, I was crying through that game, it was really emotional for me. Not many games can do that to me, but this one really did)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
BRING BACK THE OFF FANDOM

no but seriously it was still going really strong for a couple years after the huge popularity boost?? like 2014 i was having a great time in the whole RP community and everything

but lots of the main players have left, either stopped RPing or switched to RPing in other fandoms that were newer, and the only people left are the ones who are still desperately holding on

if you loved OFF i implore you to play some of the fangames!!! they're really great!! like HOME, Unknown, C/S/R, ONE... there's so much more but those are the main ones I know of

also i run these RP blogs

http://wanderingdealxr.tumblr.com
http://sugarfxck.tumblr.com
http://purenxthingness.tumblr.com
http://elsenwife.tumblr.com

DeadRobotGirl

Teto's Territory
I've been waiting to play HOME, but I still haven't gotten around to it... But I will! Someday! Over... the rainbow!

In all seriousness tho, it's kind of sad how it's falling apart a lot now. Where have all the fans gone?! I found out about it when it got popular, so it's a huge shock now... >_>

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Like I said there's a lot of other fandoms that people are going too just because they're newer or have more material

Such as Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Big Hero 6, FNAF... People are more interested in ongoing things than stuff that was once and that's it. Even though we're trying to propogate ourselves by creating all these fangames, people won't be getting into the fangames without getting into the original game, which lost popularity... I didn't feel much of a spike when Markiplier played, probably because I was part of the RP community. (I don't usually get memes until a week or two either.)

OFF is great and all, but maybe we need to be caring about Mortis Ghost's other projects? He started a Patreon for a new comic, Dr. Cataclysm
https://www.patreon.com/mortisghost

So far the first chapter has been released and it's looking nice~