Optimum Tempo?

wobinbug

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Something that I've noticed with Vocaloids and not UTAUloids, is that they have an optimum tempo range listed, like 60-160 BPM, or something to that effect. My question is, how would you figure this out for an UTAUloid, and how would you increase the range? Would you have to record the samples at different tempos?

Reactions: Nohkara

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't think there's any set formula, and UTAU is generally more flexible than Vocaloid anyway. Different tempos are a factor in the speed of a song, but so are the lengths of notes and the general rhythmical feel. The only time that I think a voicebank's tempo means anything is in the context of VCV. Because it contains the entire transition from one syllable to the next, there's a very fixed amount of space it needs for that to happen. If you really want to, you could record VCV at another tempo so that it can handle extremely fast songs. For everything else, it's not something that needs to be considered.

wobinbug

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I don't think there's any set formula, and UTAU is generally more flexible than Vocaloid anyway. Different tempos are a factor in the speed of a song, but so are the lengths of notes and the general rhythmical feel. The only time that I think a voicebank's tempo means anything is in the context of VCV. Because it contains the entire transition from one syllable to the next, there's a very fixed amount of space it needs for that to happen. If you really want to, you could record VCV at another tempo so that it can handle extremely fast songs. For everything else, it's not something that needs to be considered.
Ah, I see (thanks for the quick response, btw). It's just something I noticed the other day and have been curious about, but I almost relieved to find out that it's not all that important in UTAU, haha. Thanks :smile:

chunter

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
You can't be faster than the attack (consonant part of the word) or the lyric won't be legible, you should avoid being so slow that a consonant seems unrealistically shorter than the vowel. I think that's where the suggested tempos come from.

Reactions: wobinbug

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Consonant velocity allows you to speed up the transitions between syllables if that helps. I usually use it for particularly fast songs or for short notes (especially with English).

wobinbug

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
You can't be faster than the attack (consonant part of the word) or the lyric won't be legible, you should avoid being so slow that a consonant seems unrealistically shorter than the vowel. I think that's where the suggested tempos come from.
Okay, so I should record at a mid-fast tempo, so that my UTAUloid can sing most songs, (unless, of course, I intend otherwise)...
Consonant velocity allows you to speed up the transitions between syllables if that helps. I usually use it for particularly fast songs or for short notes (especially with English).
... And then I could clean up any remaining messy transitions using using the consonant velocity :smile:
Understood, thank you both :smile:

Reactions: Kiyoteru