Prefered sites to host voice libraries

Which of these do you prefer VB's to be hosted in?

• Mediafire

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • 4Shared

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Skydrive (Microsoft)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google Drive (Google)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Box

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • DropBox

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Axfc.net

• Own server

• MEGA (new)

• Total voters

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I want to know the opinion of both uploaders and downloaders; since some people may try to avoid certain services on this matter.

For example:
I seriously dislike the fact some libraries are hosted on 4shared; because I have to log-in each time I try to download a voicebank.
And Yes, I know Yue is hosted on that site too and I seriously consider to move all my banks (and the new ones hopefully) to a newer site.

Pros and Cons, let's talk about this!

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I used to host my voicebanks on 4Shared, but as you said, it made people have to either log in or create an account. So I stopped using it. Plus there was a wait time to download files.

I mainly host them on Mediafire now. It's easy to upload and download from there and you can create directories. The thing is that there is a file size limit and the amount you can upload to that account. I cannot host my tripitch VCV bank there because it exceeds their limit unless I have like a premium account.

I have only used Axfc.net so far to upload my large voicebank. The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to monitor the files you upload. You don't have an account and a list of everything you uploaded. Like I wonder what happens if you forget the download link. Also, the files will eventually be deleted over time to make room for new ones.

As for the others... I'm not too familiar to say anything about them ;;

Jpegurl

Teto's Territory
I dislike downloading from mediafire because I'm always bombarded with pop-ups (even with the blocker on!) and ads. It's a trivial thing really, but it annoys me nonetheless.

I prefer 4shared uploading wise. It's very easy to manage all your files and keep track of them and whatnot. You can lock, delete, or upload a file with very little effort needed.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Indeed a CON of mediafire is the large ammount of advertisement it has if you are not an adblock plus user, to the point of getting annoying.

Yet, thanks to adblock, it's a whole different thing to me.

With adblock, I tolerate more the DL from mediafire than 4shared (as mentioned, time waiting to download is also a bit too much).

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I use mediafire mostly... I like all the space you get (50 GB!) but there is a filesize limit, so big fat English voicebank I had to upload to 4shared.

Naito

Teto's Territory
moonst4r link said:
I used to host my voicebanks on 4Shared, but as you said, it made people have to either log in or create an account. So I stopped using it. Plus there was a wait time to download files.

I mainly host them on Mediafire now. It's easy to upload and download from there and you can create directories. The thing is that there is a file size limit and the amount you can upload to that account. I cannot host my tripitch VCV bank there because it exceeds their limit unless I have like a premium account.

I have only used Axfc.net so far to upload my large voicebank. The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to monitor the files you upload. You don't have an account and a list of everything you uploaded. Like I wonder what happens if you forget the download link. Also, the files will eventually be deleted over time to make room for new ones.

As for the others... I'm not too familiar to say anything about them ;;

Actually this pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.

Angel

Momo's Minion
I use Mediafire, because it's simple to upload and I never have large files on there so I can generally upload all of my terrible utsu stuff.

More people are using axfc, and I wonder if it's really the website to use. It's interface is
Japanese which may confuse people. Top of that how many times have I found invalid links..

Moony I had to wait 20 seconds to download Souta why qq. Each second was like a stab in my heart. /dramatic

Sometimes I get the vibe that some upload on axfc because it feels professional idk.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Before to upload my UTAUs' beta voicebanks and the UTAUs' ones I've recorded for people, I used to go on 4shared...

Sorrowfully, it began to derp a lot recently so I was unable to upload any voicebank there anymore >_<"' Like, I was needing to wait an amount of time and then, the upload would cease i the middle of it OAO"'

A few months ago I tried to find another website where I could upload them (especially the voicebanks made for people) and then I recalled there was axfc... I was a bit scared in the beginning to not know how it was working but I quickly managed to so now, I can use it without any problem haha~ And BTW that reminds me I need to upload a voicebank for someone *had been pretty busy lately orz screw this new schedule for this semester*

Also I recall having uploaded very early BETA voicebanks (but those there incredibly small) and some tiny updates packs on boxnet. But as it needs to be <25Mo, well... I cannot use boxnet for voicebanks anymore OTL If I use it now, it's only like SC for covers, tests, fandubs, etc...

@Jpeg : now you don't understand <hy I don't upload there and how it's painful every time to go there for an UST or a voicebank OAO"'

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
My computer has this weird glitch where it gives me multiple Javascript errors on some pages(even with Java turned off), and Mediafire always gives me at least 6 per page and then more when I actually download anything, so not that...

Fawkesy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I use Dropbox.
It's simple, easy to use, you have plenty of space and if you need more just refer some people and get extra space...or make a new account lol.
You can upload files from your desktop, and it'll give you a little green check mark next to the file when it's done uploading.
You can also log on to their website and upload for there as well.
The only thing that bothers me, is with uploading music files, when you send a link, you usually have to have the person right-click save as to download it.
But with normal files, like zipped stuff, voicebanks and stuff you just send the link and it downloads automatically, no waiting or pop ups.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
I use mediafire, because i do not have much issues with ads
I don't get pop ups, and i can live with something on the side because all sites have them really
Plus my largest uploaded file is 55MB, so i'm not having much size issue
(just one issue with a video, but that got resolved super easy so it's not like a sob story)
Plus, i find it the easiest for me to move around and search through my files (But like i said, that's for me, not in general)

Cheese

cured meat enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I use bowlroll because it's simple to log in to (if you have twitter) and simple to track downloads / edit the file.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So many people voted for Axfc but no one is sporting the pros of it? XD

Well, I only and always use Axfc. For some reason all other uploaders refuse to work for me (even when trying to to upload something small) or are wierdly complex for signing up.

Axfc is very easy once you figure it out, and for those interested I made a tutorial on everything you need to know with it on my YouTube (back during the Megauploader FBI scare). There are pretty much no ads whatsoever, no waiting times, and great customization for the upload - passwords, delete passwords so only you can delete your file due to no accounts, how many people can download it, date activation/deactivation, a large support for file types, pretty much unlimited file size until 2GB, and you can tell the site if it won't be up for long/downloaded much as a nice thing towards other users. And on large files they have an easy to use human-checker thing that's much easier to read (and easier on computer systems - my computer takes a bit to load up Mediafire from all the adds and features but Axfc is simple and quick). And the Japanese can instantly understand the site so it may slightly help in getting the bank around.

Sure, you don't have an account and every year or so you should check your files, but never once in a year and a half of using it have I encountered any problems. The only reason links become down is because the user doesn't check their link often enough or no one is telling them it's down (I know Japanese users who once they were told the link was down reuploaded in a few days). I don't need the site to manage my uploads, I can manage them just fine.

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I often use Mediafire. I have once used Axfc.net but I often have the problem of deleting my files uploaded there. I have planned to use Skydrive soon.

Leo

oh you know
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
If I want to upload something quickly, I'll generally go to Mediafire and upload there, but I've been looking into different file hosting sites to post voicebank downloads on, and I'm liking Dropbox more??
One of the main reasons i've moved away from Mediafire is because four out of five times, you'll have to go through the three step 'repair download' because the download doesn't work on the first time, not to mention the huge amount of ads all over the download page. I can't tell you how many times i've gotten a redirect to a rogue antivirus saying I have an ungodly number of viruses on my PC. It's become really untrustworthy for me.
I also used to use 4shared, but the download interface changed and there's no direct link to the download, and you have to pay or wait a certain amount of time to download the file, AND it requires users to have an account to actually download anything? it's not quick at all.
Dropbox I was a bit weary of, since you don't upload directly to the website, but through the program, but I really like how it has direct download links? I haven't messed around with it much, though.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I use Dropbox almost exclusively mainly because I have already included it as a major part of my workflow. I use 3 different computers actively, my desktop, my laptop, and my work computer. Dropbox syncs all my files between the 3 computers and also acts as an online backup so I never loose anything important.

Also if you are into collaboration it is a really great tool for groups. I often use it at school when we work on projects together. It will sync all the files in the collaboration folder with all the people you invite, and everyone can pass around and share & revise files with a common pool of resources everyone in the group can call upon.

Beyond that it is my go-to method of sharing files mainly because you can share your files as direct downloads, there are no annoying ads or popups for the people you send it to, and it doesn't have a max upload size beyond whatever your account can store. Sharing is as easy as copy-pasting it into your Dropbox folder, right clicking, and selecting 'copy public link'.

If you want to try Dropbox I have a referral link that will let you start with an extra 250MB storage, and give me extra space as well.