Question on VCV: Constant Velocity?

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Can someone explain to me better about Constant Velocity in VCV? I'm still a little new to VCV unfortunately...

Usually I put 200 for Constant Velocity. Though that's after I heard that most VCV UTAUs are recorded at that velocity so I went with it.

I came across a UST where if I put the Constant Velocity to 200, it sounded a bit choppier, but if I put it at 100, it sounded lot smoother. I had been using my UTAU's VCV bank which is still a work in progress.

How can I tell what number to put there, other than just 200?

Here's some examples of the difference I found. I dunno if it's just the sorta...VCV slurring though. :cynical: (The oto's still not done so some of the samples are missing)

This one is at 100 Constant Velocity

https://soundcloud.com/jellophish/100-constant-velocity

This one is at 200 Constant Velocity

https://soundcloud.com/jellophish/200-constant-velocity

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Consonant velocity is actually a value that alters the length of the consonant, or pink area of the OTO. By default it is set to 100, but higher values shorten the consonant and lower values lengthen the consonant. Because of the nature of VCV, I would recommend not using it at all. But the difference consonant velocity makes can certainly be significant in CV and CVVC.

If you want to have faster VCV transitions in your own voice banks, my recommendation is to simply record at a faster tempo.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I would never recommend convel (consonant velocity) of 200 unless it's like Disappearance of Hatsune Miku. I don't understand why it's so popular as, in my opinon, it makes banks that could have sounded natural instead sound choppy and unrealistic.

Clever usage of convel is great though. In a song that is very fast-paced I may up it to a value like 130. Sometimes my pronunciation of consonants like SH and H sound a little too long, so I can pop in a 150 for that note to make it better. And sometimes when I really want to stress a consonant, most commonly happening at the beginning of a phrase, I'll use a value like 40 or even 20 to drag the consonant out (note that this only really sounds good on long consonants like S, SH, Z, H, N, etc). Otherwise I suggest leaving the bank as is, because abusing convel means you're missing out on the natural inflections the voice has.

(Note, negative convel values are hilarious. Add in a MOD of over 100 and you get drunk UTAUs.)

Reactions: ShyShroomii

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ah I see :o

I've tried not using it at all, and the results were pretty well actually (I really liked it better than using 200 haha )

Ah thank you :D
I've been testing a lot actually, between not using convel at all and going with a range of 100 - 140 (I figure Taiyo sounds pretty well at this. She sounded fine singing a cosMo song too without convel, and I could still hear her faster paced notes well)

I'll try with those numbers :wink:

(I'll be sure to try that too, I'd love to see how Taiyo would sound drunk or something LMAO)

Hayden1000

Teto's Territory
Consonant velocity is actually a value that alters the length of the consonant, or pink area of the OTO. By default it is set to 100, but higher values shorten the consonant and lower values lengthen the consonant. Because of the nature of VCV, I would recommend not using it at all. But the difference consonant velocity makes can certainly be significant in CV and CVVC.

If you want to have faster VCV transitions in your own voice banks, my recommendation is to simply record at a faster tempo.

My utau keeps crashing when rendering it if the Consonant Velocity is set to "200"