Recording Habits?

RINGO

Teto's Territory
Self-explanatory...
So I guess I'll start. My habits are:
- I brush my teeth before I sit down to record... (Don't ask me why... Maybe I'm afraid people would smell my breath if they listen to my UTAU, or ... IDK! XD)
-
I also drink a LOT OF TEA during recording.
- It takes me a lot of time to finish a VB, 'cause I only dare to record when nobody's at home.
- When I fail to sing the right sound, I start singing random songs to the microphone...
(of course I delete those...)
- I (SOMETIMES) say toungetwister sentences, just to see if I can say consonants right.

So umm... How about you guys?

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hmm my habits?

-I listen to Japanese songs before recording a Japanese bank to get a feel for the pronunciation.
-I drink water before and during recording.
-I warm up my voice before recording by singing a scale or a random song.
-I try to record a whole voicebank all in one take.
-I only record when I'm alone or else it'll probably be awkward and someone would think I'm doing a weird chant or something

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
-I heat upp the room before using it (it's cold cuz it helps my sleep)
-I make some tea before recording and drink it during the recording
-I sit on the floor eventhough there's a chair right next to me
-I move laptop to the room
-When i fail the tone i sometimes curse a bit but mostly and make silly noices
-I start paniking because I forgot the recharger (this happends way to often)
-I record when I know my brother girlfriend isn't visiting :I (she is noicy)
-I double check the reclist =w=;; never know if I'm messing something

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
moonst4r link said:
-I try to record a whole voicebank all in one take.
-I only record when I'm alone or else it'll probably be awkward and someone would think I'm doing a weird chant or something

These.

Usually I record very hastily and go back to re-record samples I messed up, rather than keep trying the same ones again and again.

P

PurinPuff

I record all in one take too, because I'm under this impression that if I don't do it all at once, I will not be able to reach the same consistency the second time around.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i feel weird

-I never drink or eat around the time of recording, ever. It causes my consonants to get wet, sometimes clip, and my tongue may make unwelcome noises if recently saliva-y. ;;
-I shut the dorr, the computer door (it's a home computer, not a laptop, in a wood center thing), and try to only record when the heater isn't on. it's noisy
-I listen to a good handful of strings of my UTAU so far before recording for tone and note
-How I record VCV is odd-ish; I get a sheet of notebook paper and write a string on each line until the page is filled. Then for the day I record that, then oto it. No more no less. and banks can take months from procrastination breaks

so alone in how i stay away from food/water and never record in one go, i can only do that with CV because it takes only 5-10 minutes

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I only record at night. I take my laptop and a bottle of water into the car in the garage when everyone goes to bed.
I try to record everything in one go, or when my laptop runs out of battery. Whichever comes first. If it runs
Out first, I continue recording the next available night.

Recording and configuring voicebanks is one of my favorite things to do, so I rarely procrastinate. Procrastination comes when it's time to release them. XD

Oh, and I never oto until every sample is recorded, unless I'm testing something.

automatique

Teto's Territory
Well...
1. Breathing, as taught on the Choral Group.
2. Warming up my vocal chords.
3. Select the note and the scale that I want to record (Scale on multipitch banks)
4. Tune my voice to that note.

Then on the pronuciation...
1. Practicing R's and T's before recording.
2. Reading the reclist.

On the Mic and actual recording...
1. I usually do it alone, if my sister is recording, I stay with her and tell her how to do it.
2. I tweak the Mic settings before I'm recording.
3. Switch to ASIO pannel.
4. Don't drink more than water.
5. Record the breaths first.

I usually do a testing of some recordings before oto... basically the F's and the B's.

RINGO

Teto's Territory
Whoa!
So many of you record a VB in one take! That's awesome! I could never do it so fast~ I never have enough time...

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well...

I wait to be all alone at home because after I'd go too shy and I'd be either barely understandable (like weak) nor making supra-breathy-files.... and eventually getting my voice cracking up and me being mad and down orz

Generally I wait having my voice enough powerful nor sounding normal to do it (because it sounds scratchy nor the voicerange is pretty darn limited OTL)

If the voicebank needs a high-pitched voice, I simply usemy high range... I noticed if I eat cold/sweet things (especially dairy products like ice-creams), drink cold drinks nor even breathing cold air, strangely it'll help even more

If the voicebank needs though a low or harsh voice, rather spicy food, hot drinks and warm air (or simply recording in the morning if I'm alone lol)

After about voiceacting, I try to act like if I was the character itself (so the immersion makes the voicebank easier to produce)

And a stuff I do when a voice is hard to produce or that I really want to keep the same tone (because I cannot record all in one take due to lack of time or sickness), I play voer and over a sample (generally the "A" but it can be another sound, it depends of the one I do -like if I need to finish a T class, I'll play the "ta") and once I feel I manage to reproduce the tone while singing along with it, I quickly launch recording and I record

And finally, doing some breaks in the case the recording sessions are supra-long, and of course stopping it if my voice suddenly cracks up and that I cannot go back the tone I'm making

I think that's all...

mateidobrescu

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
My habits..... Gosh.....

Record when nobody is at home(I don't wanna look strange around my family)
Stay on the floor or it won't be a good bank(Comfy.....)
Have a bottle of water near me(My throat X( )
Record from one take(time saving)
Many vocalizations(for preventing vocal collapsing during recordings)
A little bit of acting, usually a monologue from a book(Helps me to enter in the character)

08keart

Teto's Territory
- Record at night, when everyones asleep.
- I drink lots of tea, especially green tea.
- Cough and take my inhaler so I can hold notes without wobbling.
- Recording line by line, so 'Ka ki ku ke ko'.
- If I'm not happy with a note, I keep repeating it while its still recording until I think it sounds okay.
- I always ALWAYS give into the urge of oto-ing a half-done Voicebank, Its a bad habit because I end up having to fiddle with files so the rest of the samples can load on UTAU ^^'
- I always rush my Voicebanks.

ummm... yeah I guess thats it

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
- I mostly record whenever. I don't care if my family thinks I'm weird.xD But I prefer to do it alone, I guess.

-I always drink a lot of water. I go through like two bottles or something.

-I try to record all at once but recently I've been doing pretty much the same thing Shinami is. It's way easier that way ;u;

-I take forever to oto, usually. But sometimes I try to do it all in one sitting. orz

kyraenvychan

Momo's Minion
- I say some samples without recording before I start recording, as a warming up
- Grab some water
- Listen to japanese songs
- When I record Tule (cute shot voice) I sit down like an idiot, in a 'LOOK HOW CUTE I AM shonen shonen DESU.
- Act like and idiot and have fun. 8D

Tophat

Momo's Minion
When I attempt the recording; I get really serious about it... Its hard to have fun at it when where you live nobody has interest in utau or vocaloid in general ;~;

Anyways:

★ I record when nobody is home

★ I make sure everything in the house is shut off, besides my laptop and mic

★ I make sure I lock the room I'm in

★ I make myself a makeshift pfft filter since I don't actually own one D;

★ I drink alot before and during recording

★ I practice the 'r' sound alot (in the end, I still can't pronounce it right, so I gotta say it similar to 'l' ;n:wink:

★ I try to record in one fowl swoop for cv. If I mess up just once I'll scrap and try to do it all over again

★ When trying for vcv I am super duper picky on how my strings look and sound. if it don't look right, I'll scrap before I even dare re-listen to it. (This is one of the reasons my utau doesn't have vcv yet.. I haven't been satisfied with any of my results yet.)

★ I usually say the first two strings of cv ( a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko ) to warm up to my desired voice

★ I usual volume for my voice is as loud as I speak

★ After recording I check the 'a' sound (or - a for vcv) in utau, and if it doesn't sound right, I check the next note (usually 'i' for cv and a a for vcv). If that doesn't sound right I scrap the bank and start all over again.

Yup. Thats about it.

RINGO

Teto's Territory
Whoa. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself~ I mean... deleting something without listening to it.
(I do that only when it looks really awful... xD)
I'm sure your voicebanks are awesome btw. > 3 <

Fyne-Q

Teto's Territory
Okay... xD

- I usually record when my parents are not at home. My brother can hear me, he knows about UTAU. He just can't go into my room when I'm recording xD
- I try to drink as little as possible. It makes my voice... Strange. Like... wet. I don't like it xD
- I always close the door to my room. My bro often makes noise with his chair, so it would be bad for the recordings xD (once, when I was recording VCV and my parents were at home, my mom shouted something to my grandma. The door was closed, but I could hear my mom's voice in the .wav xD)
- I try to record everything in one go. Especially VCV :U (Yeah. Right. I do it usually in about 3 hours xD)
- if I mess up something, I rerecord it right away. Later it would sound totally different o.o [sub]very hard with Oremo glithes DX[/sub]

I think that's all, but I might have forgotten something xD

Tophat

Momo's Minion
@ Ringo: I gotta be harsh since I'm not all too good recording banks in the first place, so it helps to weed out any bad samples. Most voicebanks I end making don't actually sound good; and the only one that made it to download is rather mediocre.

Yamiko Heba

Momo's Minion
*I always must have the microphone headset a certain way.
*I tend to make faces if I'm doing an append like whisper.
*I have to record no matter what (cause my mom is a stay at home mom).
*I keep a water bottle near by in case my throat gets dry
*If I mess up I tend to laugh, listen to how badly I messed up on it, and then erase it.
*I always have a breath marking the beginning and ending of a sound
* I always have to find some one to oto the voice bank because my computer will not oto or let me save it unless I want it to crash.... e_e' yes it's horrible...