Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only the family name

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

elizaditton

Teto's Territory
So... first off, I had literally no clue where this post should go, so... sorry if it's in the wrong place. ^^;; This got kind of long, so.... there's a tl;dr at the end. :P

Before I say anything, though, I did read through this guide on designing an UTAU character... but I'd still like some feedback. (And yeah, I know they aren't set in stone rules, but still- seeking further advice.)

So why have I crawled onto the UtaForum today? Whelp, as the title suggests, I'm requesting feedback for my UTAUs' names. Specifically, my UTAU Keitorin Futekioune (KEITORIN・不適応音). ...I imagine everyone who just read that suffered from a cringe attack. Sorry about that... (What's worse, her original name when I created her was Keitorin Erisabesu. k i l l m e (And when I rerecorded her it was Keitorin Erisabesu Act 2. k i l l m e s o m e m o r e)) Soo... I've sort of been lying about her name pretty much since I started being present online in 2015 by saying it's "a name that means 'pure heart' in my conlang and that the coincidence that it sounds incredibly weebish was unintentional". Honestly... not only does that excuse sound incredibly stupid, but 'pure heart' sounds incredibly Mary Sue-like... Her name is literally just "Caitlyn" Japan-ified and pronounced incorrectly. But I've been using the name since I first made her in 2013, and as stupid as it sounds, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not to change it. ಠ_ಠ I'm sort of attached to it, but it's the cringiest name ever. What do?!?! (in other words assure me this name is a bad idea?) I've thought of "Kaylin" as a possible replacement name (as opposed to just "Caitlyn" because... well... that's my name. I want it to be a similar name to mine, not the same name sooooo)... that would be Kaylin Futekioune (KAYLIN・不適応音)... thoughts?

Another thing I wanted to ask was about my UTAUs' surname/family name (because they all share the same one), Futekioune (不適応音). It's supposed to mean "maladapted sound," to sort of hint to the fact that 1.) all of my UTAUs' personalities/bios/etc (which are not required to be followed by the way) include Maladaptive Daydreaming and 2.) a large quantity of the songs I create for them will deal with the topic of Maladaptive Dayreaming. A few problems with this name, though... 1.) how... does a voice sound... maladapted? 2.) In 2015 when I was renaming my UTAU... I didn't know the "ne" thing wasn't cool anymore 3.) I'm not sure if "不適応音" is an acceptable reading. I asked around on VO in 2015 before I moved over here and was told it would probably be fine, but... if I'm correct, I'm using the on reading for the kanji 不, 適, and 応 but the kun reading for 音. The reading should be Futekiouon or Futekiouoto instead... right? If I'm correct, that is... I haven't thought of any other surname possibilities. :\ So... thoughts on this?

Lastly... I would like some feedback on mixing English given names and Japanese family names. I mean, I've seen it a thing in real life, but I don't think I've seen an UTAU with a name like that? The aforementioned guide also advises against it as it may be hard to read, so... feedback on this as well? ^^; (As a side note, I've never used the eastern name order because of the English given name. I always do it like KEITORIN・不適応音 when prompted.)

So... any feedback you guys have concerning this name and what I should do to correct this if necessary would be greatly appreciated. OTL I haven't exactly been participating in the community or paying as much attention to what's going on as I used to, sooo... These things kinda confuse me...? ^^;;

TL;DR: My UTAU's name is Keitorin Futekioune. Does 'Keitorin' sound weebish? Is using 'ne' unacceptable? Should I change the name?

Thank you all very much! ;~;

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I like the sound of "Keitorin"! But I would advise thinking through the surname, like using a more straightforward reading, or changing it entirely. When I name Japanese OCs, I tend to just look up popular names and end up with things like "Fukuda Tsubaki".

Mixed names are totally normal. I'd share my examples if they weren't names of real life friends..

Reactions: elizaditton

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I don't think the family name is too much of an issue regarding the 音 kanji, but rather just how many Kanji there are actually used. 4 Kanji is a lot, most stick to 2, 3 is already an exception. As for her name as Keitorin, I don't see anything wrong with mixed names, they have a certain appeal to me actually, and I kind of like and dislike the stylized name. While it is certainly unique, I personally wouldn't mix Romaji (especially in caps) with Kanji. You should either go for Only romaji, or katakana and kanji. I hope I could help!

lunari162

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Before I say anything, I just want to say that including Maladaptive Daydreaming in your OC's personalities is a clever idea. (To be honest, I didn't think anyone else had ever heard of it!)

Keitorin doesn't sound weebish at all, actually. I like it a lot! The surname is a bit long, though. As for how a voice can be maladapted... I'm not sure. It means "not suited for something." I can only think of "not fit for X song."

If you're okay with using actual words as surnames, "daydream" is literally "空想," or kūsō. Dream is "夢" (yume) if you wanted to add something on to it. "Ne" isn't all that uncool, it depends on the surname!

In the end, just do what you think is best. It's your UTAU, so whatever you want to do is what matters the most.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Really digging that first name. Keitorin. It has a nice ring to it.

As for the last name, I think it's fine. 1 to 2 is pretty common. 3 is not so common. 4 to 5 is kinda rare (I've only ever encountered 3 names that long). So as for 不適応音, I don't see any problem with it in terms of length really.

As for it's reading, Futekiōne is okay. I actually prefer it to Futekiōon or Futekiōoto lol. I don't like that clashing of o at all. The reading for the first 3 characters are pretty fixed for that reading so it's just 音 you have to fiddle around with. Don't worry about it too much though since mixed readings is kinda common. I got not surname suggestions except day dreamer but that kinda kills the whole thing heh

For the romaji + kanji thing, I think it may be better to go with (kata)kana kanji instead though I honestly have no proven with it as it is right now.

As for how maladapted sound supposed to sound, the only thing I could think of is the voice not able to handle certain genres or certain voice types. I don't know, maybe the maladapted part could focus more on the design of the character than the voice.

I'm typing this on my phone so I probably forgot something lol

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
In my opinion, I'd say the name is a bit difficult to remember/pronounce, which may seem like a small thing but people may forget your utau even if they like them because they don't remember what name to search up.
It also kind of gives off the impression of "I typed english words into google translate and made that my utau name" (even if that's not what happened)

Usually when I want to pick a japanese name, I'll look at real japanese names and surnames because they naturally flow together better and won't come off as "weebish" or appropriating. They can still have meaning that hints at your utau's personalities, because japanese names typically have meanings, while still being real names.

I think it's more the surname that's an issue than the first name, because Keitorin isn't too difficult to remember by itself, though it might be better to just have the normal version of the name and not the "Japanified" version. It's not unusual for there to be japanese-american people with an american first name but a japanese last name

Last edited:

elizaditton

Teto's Territory
Thanks so much everyone for your replies!! ;v; I'll be taking all of your feedback into consideration as I try to fix up this name.
Thanks again! :'D