Selling UTAU Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

irei1as

Teto's Territory
There is no problem selling the wav files and the .ini of the oto. They are general files (the oto file is mainly a renamed .txt that could be made even in notepad) so you can sell them just like any other self made software.
Of course other files like pictures and readme are free, too. Even a 3d model for MMD could be sold like you see with Windows 100% if it's made with the appropiate tools (check the readme of the 3d programs you may use for terms and conditions).

But take a thing in account: DON'T sell the .frq files ( or the type the resampler uses for frequency maps).
The .frq files are special files made by the resampler (resampler.exe, TIPS, EFQwhatever, etc) and it may happen the resampler forbids its use for commercial purposes. It may need a special permission from the resampler makers in order to sell those files.
If you can't ask the resampler programmers then don't redistribute those files and just ask the users to make their own frq files.

And if it's good or bad to sell something of low quality... http://www.ebay.com/itm/170688799974?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_620wt_1036
Just don't hope you're going to pay the rent with it, really.

As final point, take in account you may have to declare taxes of it. But I can't give you legal advice there as it changes for each country. Probably just ask your personal lawyer or accountant.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
irei1as link said:
There is no problem selling the wav files and the .ini of the oto. They are general files (the oto file is mainly a renamed .txt that could be made even in notepad) so you can sell them just like any other self made software.
Of course other files like pictures and readme are free, too. Even a 3d model for MMD could be sold like you see with Windows 100% if it's made with the appropiate tools (check the readme of the 3d programs you may use for terms and conditions).

But take a thing in account: DON'T sell the .frq files ( or the type the resampler uses for frequency maps).
The .frq files are special files made by the resampler (resampler.exe, TIPS, EFQwhatever, etc) and it may happen the resampler forbids its use for commercial purposes. It may need a special permission from the resampler makers in order to sell those files.
If you can't ask the resampler programmers then don't redistribute those files and just ask the users to make their own frq files.

And if it's good or bad to sell something of low quality... http://www.ebay.com/itm/170688799974?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_620wt_1036
Just don't hope you're going to pay the rent with it, really.

As final point, take in account you may have to declare taxes of it. But I can't give you legal advice there as it changes for each country. Probably just ask your personal lawyer or accountant.

Oh my god, that's hilarious! Who has enough money to waste on that?

irei1as

Teto's Territory
Ant link said:
Oh my god, that's hilarious! Who has enough money to waste on that?

It was a meme/art thing.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/hp-touchpad-drawing-ebay-auction

Now, a bit on topic, the value of a product is sometimes very subjective.
What at first sight could be worthless it could end with high value for the eyes of a special person.
Like Vincent van Gogh did almost no money with his work while alive but in 1990 his "Portrait of Dr. Gachet" sold for over $82 million.
But, well, he was dead by then so it's not like he did money, anyway.

And now with the Internet the "abstract" art is more prone to be sold than ever... but, really, the normality is they making no money and feel hipster artist about it.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Guys.... just for the record...

Windows100% UTAULOIDS are not being sold like the macnes. They are included inside the magazine as an extra... it's included on a DVD that is inside the magazine.

If you could not purchase the edition in time, they give you the option to pay for a DVD that include all the voicebank as well as a "manual" for utau. this costs 1800 yens I think... while the magazine costs 800 yens.

Macnes are tripitch CVs (Nana, Peti, and Sasa) and Monopitch CVs (Cocos) beign the last ones the most expensive (1980 yens).

If I am right, the last Windows100% UTAU disc has 10 VBs (VCVs as I know) for the price of one Coco, the advantage of Macnes are DL versions while Win100% needs shipping and handling.

theLooneyLibrarian

Teto's Territory
I think that's a really good point. Of course you can go ahead and sell recordings of your voice. It's your voice after all. (Whether anyone would actually buy your product is another matter entirely)
The problem is selling it as an UTAULOID. The Macnes are made for Garageband and the Windows100% Loids are actually free giveaways that come with the magazine. Sure, you can buy them on DVD, but then you're paying for the disc and the service, not the banks themselves. It's a matter of licensing. When a company wants to make a Vocaloid, they have to purchase a licence from Yamaha (for about 7000$, I think). I'm no  sure whether UTAU has such an option. Selling parts of something that isn't entirely yours can end very badly.
That person doesn't own the name "UTAULOID" and Crypton could sue her for plagiarism, because of the recolored Miku outfit and the overall design of the boxart.

P

PurinPuff

theLooneyLibrarian link said:
That person doesn't own the name \"UTAULOID\" and Crypton could sue her for plagiarism, because of the recolored Miku outfit and the overall design of the boxart.

I have the odd urge to inform them of this suing potential, but I feel it's a really bad idea to get involved.
It makes me wish they did at least a LITTLE bit of research before making this site.
Although I will admit, they did avoid including .frq files, although I'm sure that's more lazy than strategic.

poundthemochi

Teto's Territory
So, I was looking around one day and I came across the posts written about Rina Tachibana in UtaForum.  We got bad reviews needless to say, hence we are redoing everything to try and set things right. One of the post in here:
http://utaforum.net/index.php?topic=2244.0
Says:
\"UTAU is a free program and selling banks sounds weird.
I think of it as this:
If a company plans to sell any voicebank (vocaloid or utau) they should:
1. Hire an artist to the work on the design.
2. Remember extra sounds (way more than a VCV voicebank)
3. Be aware of torrents.
4. Have there own domain (not a webs domain)
5.Have trademark of their own name. Rina Tachibana is stolen:
http://www.animevice.com/rina-tachibana/18-17048/ \"
(Written by Poundthemochi)

So, let's set her straight! Okay? ^^

1. What the heck anime is this other Rina Tachibana from?!  I've never seen it before! She also looks nothing like my character.
2. Her name is not Stolen! Just bits and pieces I got from diffrent places.  I was watching Slayers and the main charaters name was Lina in the english dub, hence is where Rina came from.  Tachibana is a common last name in Japan. I decided to use it instead of Tanaka because the name sounded better and I watched Uta Kata, in which the main characters name was Ichika Tachibana.

Another person later in the post in the last page said I could get sued by Cypton for Rina's outfit looking like Miku's.  Some aspects, yes, are based off of Miku and the Vocaloid look, but it's also heavily based on the sailor fuku look.

So, sorry for all the trouble you all went through to bully me on UtaForum, but, as you can see, I'm fixing things.

While I'm at it, here's a list of the other Project H characters in our first series.:

2. T-Bomb
3. Piku Hachune (Now this one was never and will never be meant to sell, she's the free version of Miku Hatsune.)
4. Suki Mizuno
5. Daichi Iijima
6. Yuki Ando
7. Yukiko Ando

Well, we hope you download our characters when they come out.  Thank you! ^^

I came across the site again.
Now I fell guiltly, If the owner is reading, tell her I'm sorry.
The owner also decided to make it for free.

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
3. Piku Hachune (Now this one was never and will never be meant to sell, she's the free version of Miku Hatsune.)

Lohohoho
Wait
What.

...free version of Miku Hatsune?

ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ

poundthemochi

Teto's Territory
Austria link said:

Lohohoho
Wait
What.

ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
;-; Well, I think she doesn't know the name yet.
But, lets leave them and let them do what they do best at UTAU

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm just going to casually lurk this thread for the lulz.
I see both sides of this for once; I see the side where it's "UTAU is free, you shouldn't be selling stuff with it."
And yet, I see UTAU as an instrument meant to be used for anything. If you can sell albums with it, why not voicebanks?
On the other hand, you could get/win UTAUloids that are much better, but who knows, maybe eventually there'll be a REALLLLLLY good UTAU for sale? :U

//still keeping my money for if I see anything on Avanna

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
There are some Win100% UTAU that I really, really like. I'm not too sure on buying them though... Maybe when I'm bored, or when I have money to spend... But there's a huge difference in quality even in Win100% banks, so I wouldn't just buy any of them.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think selling a voicebank would be fine as long as they *have something more*

like idk...not just a cv bank...several pitches, uber very professional recording...
...crap load of breaths...sounds that many voicebanks don't have...

But if it's just CV and just above par recording quality then I think the bank doesn't deserve a price tag...

but, c'mon...there are plenty of free voicebanks that top payed ones hands down...
----
Of course VBs are just wav files and can be sold (but nothings going to stop people from sharing them for free)
----
What about donations or Adfly? I've seen it used for other things...why not for the download?
...all you do is wait 5 seconds and click next and the user gets some petty change for your click...

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
There's a factor that some of you are forgetting:

Macne Family - All of them are seiyuus (voice actors or CVs)
Windows100% - Famous utaitte.
VOCALOID - Some of them are professional singers + professional engine.

You are paying for a voicebanks that normally won't be accessible in any other way. The JP community work with "idols" system and these banks are really attractive for them. Again, this may be a cultural thing that may be like "why to pay when you have free", and then imagine if your favorite singer made an utau but you need to pay a modic price for it. I am sure most of us would do it. I would! for Ana Torroja or Fey if they were UTAULOIDS or, in this case they are professionals, VOCALOIDS.

LunaAkimine

Teto's Territory
i'm sorry to say that.. this thread made me laugh. Especially the part where the owner tries to "maintain a professional image" when that image is ruined already

Naito

Teto's Territory
Hentai link said:
I am of the opinion, that if you are going to sell a bank, it better be a damn good one to make it worth buying. You must differentiate yourself from all your 'free' competitors, so you better make it something special.

This pretty much sums up how I feel on it. If it's not too special/unique sounding to me, I don't see why I should shell out any cash for something I can likely (and by likely I mean "definitely") get for free.

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I'd probably buy it if it was <$20 CAD and had a commercial license. I don't think it needs infinitepitch or anything for me to go for it, it just needs to have one thing going for it, and to be easy for me to buy impulsively : P

Tortoiseshel

Momo's Minion
poundthemochi link said:
[quote author=Austria link=topic=2244.msg28182#msg28182 date=1351651105]

Lohohoho
Wait
What.

ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
;-; Well, I think she doesn't know the name yet.
But, lets leave them and let them do what they do best at UTAU
[/quote]
I'm hoping "free version of Miku" means "I made an UTAU and tried to make it sound like Miku" because that's the only way that would be legal save for Saki Fujita making an UTAU herself but I doubt that's the case.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well...basically what everyone else said. If an UTAU is going to be sold it must have super quality.

In regards to the MACne's they weren't even originally for UTAU. They were in a sense "Vocaloid" for MAC computers since Vocaloid is a Windows only program. It just so happened that they are sold under an open-source license and can legally be used in UTAU as such. What makes them appealing to people and how they're able to sell would probably be due to the overall professionalism that goes into the voicebanks:

-Cute characters with lovely artwork
-Professional website
-Seiyuu voiced like Yue said
-And then Nana, Puchi, and Sasa are all tri-pitch CV with pretty good quality. Others may disagree with me but oh well.

Sure their oto's suck but I mess with oto's all the time so no skin off my nose with that one.
I know nothing of the Windows 100% so I'm not even gunna try xD But from reading this thread they too seem to voiced by popular singers.

The bottom line is if you're going to sell a voicebank professionalism is a must and you should probably understand what you're doing. Likeable character designs should be a thing too. Likeable AND original. For Rina, even if her design was based off of a sailor fuku...well...so was Miku and Rin and Len's u_u ;; A much more unique design and color scheme would be needed. Going back to the Macne's, sure they were Vocaloid inspired, but look at their outfits. Cleverly based off of MAC computers and accessories.

And last but not least...no whining about how people are "bullying" you because they are finding flaws in your work. Those people are potential customers and they're going to go speak to other potential customers and if you act in a manner that causes them to not think so highly of you...let's just say word travels fast. -looks at this thread-

AT ANY RATE, it seems Rina will end up being free and for UTAU but not considered an UTAU...and that she is being completely re-done. We shall see how this goes.

Yamiko Heba

Momo's Minion
Honestly I don't like the idea of selling or buying voicebanks. I think the fun part of UTAU is the fact we can make an infinite types of unique sounds from the same song by using different voicebanks. Or the fact we could make a 1000 UTAU Chorus if we tried.

Tortoiseshel

Momo's Minion
Yamiko Heba link said:
Honestly I don't like the idea of selling or buying voicebanks. I think the fun part of UTAU is the fact we can make an infinite types of unique sounds from the same song by using different voicebanks. Or the fact we could make a 1000 UTAU Chorus if we tried.
What does any of that have to do with commercial UTAUs? That would still be entirely possible even if UTAUs weren't free. Maybe not as easy, but still possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.