so i finally tried to actually make something with UTAU

spookysneeze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
this is the first time i've used UTAU in like half a year so pls be gentle

all of the credits are in the video's description.
but.. yeah. i think it sounds kind of shitty at times and some of the nn sounds stopped working so I improvised a little there but
I thought it was okay so I'm just gonna post it here for feedback (keep in mind i haven't used UTAU in a while, so i'm not great. don't sugar coat it though please)

comet3

local rain enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
For not using UTAU in so long, it sounds pretty good! Most of the notes are kind of unstable, but honestly, it doesn't sound bad. (Trust me, I've heard some bad tuning.) Just a bit strange. I can't figure out what you did. My guess is modulation and manual vibrato editing?
if you want to send me a screenshot I can help with tuning and stuff

spookysneeze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
For not using UTAU in so long, it sounds pretty good! Most of the notes are kind of unstable, but honestly, it doesn't sound bad. (Trust me, I've heard some bad tuning.) Just a bit strange. I can't figure out what you did. My guess is modulation and manual vibrato editing?
if you want to send me a screenshot I can help with tuning and stuff

it sounds weird 'cause everytime i do something with UTAU it ends up sounding wobbly OTL but thanks! its comforting to know it's not terrible, at least.

i actually had no idea what i was doing so i just messed around with the pitchbends, that's pretty much all i did

i'll try. like a screenshot of just what the notes look like? cause all i did was mess around with pitchbends

comet3

local rain enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
You're welcome :smile:
and yeah, i'd like to see what kinda pitchbending you did and maybe try to teach you a bit about tuning if you'd like? //shot

spookysneeze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
alright
try not to cringe if this is really amateur because i actually don't know what i'm doing when it comes to utau

hopefully this is what you meant but
upload_2015-7-5_2-32-18.png
upload_2015-7-5_2-34-38.png

comet3

local rain enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
I seeee noooow
For tuning, the most important parts are usually the transitions, rather than within the notes themselves.
example:
upload_2015-7-4_21-40-48.png

Reactions: JVウタウ

spookysneeze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
oh, okay

lol i thought the tuning was meant to be done on the actual notes so i guess thats why

comet3

local rain enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
The way I tune is I sing it to myself, and then copy what I hear when I sing but idk if that works for everyone

spookysneeze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've tried that a few times, I didn't try it for this cover tho. Maybe I'll start doing it again and see if it works

so just to clarify
most of the tuning is meant to be on the transitions, but it's okay to tune within the actual notes too?

comet3

local rain enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
Exactly, though editing within the notes is usually vibrato, or something like this:
upload_2015-7-4_21-56-29.png
which sounds like 2:14 in this sample