So, I was wondering.

Naito

Teto's Territory
Well, I was thinking back to older UTAU days of mine, when I was still kind of struggling to put together character designs, names, appropriately with their bank. I remember seeing some UTAU who, despite being out already for months- even a year- that they would change their name or design (and not for an append or anything).

On the one hand, I think it can get kind of confusing, right? Like if I suddenly changed Eiri's name to Jack and then it'd just be a big mess sometimes of "Oh no his name is Jack now." and then some people might find "Jack's" videos and think "Oh he stole Eiri's bank!" etc. etc.

Random stuff like that, yeah?

But then on the other hand, I think when you make an UTAU, it should be something you enjoy. So like, if you don't like their design or name, why push yourself to keep using it when it makes you unhappy?

So, I was just curious on where other UTAU users stood on it. =o

Kero

Momo's Minion
It CAN be a little confusing at first, but there's ways to go about it that makes it easier on everyone, like updating the descriptions of older video posts and making sure to update and mention that in the wiki. (also making sure to explain the reason why stuff got changed; that alone really helps, it's like... mnemonic almost) :U

But yeah! I don't think you should stick with something that makes you unhappy, because you'll just lose motivation and start to resent something that you liked so much before. ;7; Name changes and redesigns = A-okay in my book!

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Though I'm not guilty of this with UTAUs (more like throwing some out really orz) I have to agree with the other hand. UTAU is a music program, and music is a thing you should enjoy. If you don't like the name of your UTAU or design it should be fine to change it.

SakisCookie

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I changed Sakura's last name (in case you can't tell by my signature XP), but only because I was getting shit about how "Kankura isn't even a real Japanese family name omg who do u think u r"

And it was getting old. So I found a 'real' last name that sounds similar. It's definitely been hell, going to all my old videos and changing the name, plus having to remind everyone of the change.

Luckily she isn't too terribly popular, so it wasn't THAT bad. Ahahaha I shouldn't sound so happy about that.

asparagus

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
While I haven't changed any names, I'm definitely guilty of changing designs.

I don't see what you should keep something you dislike though.

MasaDarts

Momo's Minion
I've changed Hikui's design 8 times total before Hoshi designed her in a way I was plased with.
Her name has been changed 5 times.
I'm majorly guilty of changing things too much, but up until recently, I was just never happy with anything, so..
That's why I changed it so often, and I can understand why people would would change their design.

The_Fish_God

Teto's Territory
Supporter
I would say that a utau with a changing concept is not very fun to deal with. For example, the creator suddenly decides on a completly different eye color and haircut for his utau, which may irritate other users who now have to keep in mind the new design when they draw a cover picture for a song or something. HOWEVER, changes that are more like add-ons, arn't as annoying. For example, lets say you want the headphones and shoes to have wings, or you would like to make a scar somewhere, go ahead. (maybe you would even add a middle name for your utau)

so in summation:
add small/no design changes to your utau if he/she/it is released, and feel free to make as many changes as you want If you are not releasing the utau for public use.

Naito

Teto's Territory
I don't know why I'm so excited about like...actually just having a nice discussion about this sort of stuff, haha. It's nice!

I'm glad to hear what everyone has to say. Definitely some diverse thoughts here. I admit I posted this partially because I'm kind of stuck on designs for one of my utau, Reim. I don't want to change her name or hairstyle, or color scheme. Just kind of her outfit. I just wasn't sure if it's "too late in the game" to do it, as she's been out (as in, downloadable) for about a year.

Kero

Momo's Minion
Oh yeah, just an outfit change is pretty easy to get along with. I actually kind of like when people do that cuz it's like, building a whole closet for that UTAU *v* I like to have all the choices of outfit to draw or take aspects from and mix and match. :'D

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
SakisCookie link said:
I changed Sakura's last name (in case you can't tell by my signature XP), but only because I was getting shit about how \"Kankura isn't even a real Japanese family name omg who do u think u r\"

And it was getting old. So I found a 'real' last name that sounds similar. It's definitely been hell, going to all my old videos and changing the name, plus having to remind everyone of the change.

Luckily she isn't too terribly popular, so it wasn't THAT bad. Ahahaha I shouldn't sound so happy about that.

The frig? Who in their right mind would complain about an UTAU not having a proper family name. I'm like 99% sure mine doesn't, but who would really care?

Anyway, my UTAU got a complete design and name overhaul just weeks after I released him. Thankfully no one drew him with his old design, but some used his old name. It was a really smooth transition. Now I'm happy with him, so I'm keeping him the way he is.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I find that smaller updates that don't change the core of the character aren't a big deal.  Though, if you change their name, there can be some major confusion if other people have used them--because your new tags won't carry over to your old work... of course, that could be a good thing, if you don't WANT anyone to see your old stuff?  Eh, it's trouble for if anyone else used them.

Changing designs, however, is fine--but I don't like it if the update doesn't stay true to the original, in a sense.  Like, a change in hair color or eye color, or species--that would be irritating.  But a new haircut, different outfit?  Yeah, alright, whatever.  People change and evolve, and so can characters.

RINGO

Teto's Territory
I just changed my utau's haircut, and I'm thinking of changing her outfit as well...
you know, new clothes and accessories... that stuff~
and well... I was a bit confused if I should do it or should not. Seems like it's allright then.
Now all I have to do, is to think of a great outfit!

Angel

Momo's Minion
At the beginning, my UTAU had a different design, but I posted on UTAForum (the old one) and I got altered. It was implemented really early so I think it's ok.