The future of UTAU-Synth: compatibility in future Mac OS

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
EDIT2:

Today’s 22 February 2021 and I have an update regarding Big Sur: multiple people have reported that UTAU-Synth doesn’t work on Mac OS 11 Big Sur.

Unless an official update is released by Ameya, UTAU-Synth works officially only in following operating systems: From 10.5 (Leopard) to 10.15 (Catalina).

If you’re stuck with Big Sur, you can read here what you can do.

EDIT:

Today, 6 November 2019, UTAU-Synth got its first update for 6 YEARS!

This new build b19 is 64-bit meaning that it will run on Mac OS Catalina 10.15 with no problem.

Also, this build has the English language installed meaning that if your computer language isn't set as Japanese, the UTAU-Synth will operate in English. No more nibs or language patches needed yay!

And you can download UTAU-Synth here: http://utau-synth.com

==================
ORIGINAL:

The current Mac OS, Mac OS High Sierra (10.13), is the last OS that runs 32-bit apps without compromise.

The new upcoming Mac OS is called Mac OS Mojave. We don't know yet but this OS might not support or run properly any 32-bit apps.

So, you may ask: "How this affects in UTAU-Synth"?

Well, you see, UTAU-Synth is 32-bit app (and so is OREMO's native Mac version too).

Because UTAU-Synth hasn't reserved any updates after 2013, it's unlikely that the developer of UTAU-Synth will come back and update the app from 32-bit to 64-bit.

When more information about Mac OS Mojave is available, I'll do research if UTAU-Synth work in that OS or is better to stay in High Sierra to keep UTAU-Synth running smoothly.

Thank you for reading.

Courses:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/06/apple-introduces-macos-mojave/

Last edited:

Jamie_is

Momo's Minion
There a project on the forum called UTSU that's in development that's compatible with Mac, if Apple does make it so that we cant use 32 bit software i guess we can either downgrade, switch to windows/linux computer or switch UTSU i guess

Reactions: Lethe

Nohkara

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Today was an Apple event and good news guys: Mac OS 10.14 Mojave will still run 32-bit apps meaning that you can update your OS system without fear that UTAU-Synth stops working.

Tho what I read, Mojave will be the last OS able to run 32-bit apps, so unless UTAU-Synth gets an update from 32-bit to 64-bit (very unlikely), this will be the latest OS where it works.

In future, after Mojave, our options are using an emulator to run Synth or looking forward to active UTAU clones project such as UTSU project.

Thanks for reading

Dangosan

Jellie Bellie Pete Rat Gummie Candie
Defender of Defoko
We need Mac-native resamplers and wavtools in order to run UTSU completely issue-free.
Another option is to use PlayOnMac. A word of caution, though: UTAU suffers from some annoying glitches and tempo discrepancies under Wine. The tempo issues can be solved either by using v0.2.77 and up which implements a legacy wavtool mode or by using presamp.

Reactions: Nohkara

Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP)

Teto is love, Teto is life (Rin too)
Defender of Defoko
We need Mac-native resamplers and wavtools in order to run UTSU completely issue-free.
Another option is to use PlayOnMac. A word of caution, though: UTAU suffers from some annoying glitches and tempo discrepancies under Wine. The tempo issues can be solved either by using v0.2.77 and up which implements a legacy wavtool mode or by using presamp.
Resampler wise, I've edited the source code of world4utau in order to allow it to build on any OS using only cross platform code
so I already could compile world4utau for mac, wavtool wise, I'll have to look at it to see if there's any wavtool source code I could edit to make it cross platform

Reactions: m170 and Jaycob 49

Nohkara

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
https://utaforum.net/threads/rip-utausynth.18956/

Some people has reported that UTAU-Synth runs slowly on Mojave.

Also, because Mojave is still fairy new and quite different to High Sierra, I would be cautious if you have any other important apps than UTAU (e.g. Vocaloid 5 editor, they’re working on Mojave upgrade ver).

Please, check app’s OS compability before upgrading!

MastermindRitsu

Momo's Minion
This is actually my first time ever responding to a board on here so forgive my ignorance, but I'm actually working with Haircylps, the beautiful man who made the Dante patch, and his newest patch that I'm beta testing is running Synth on Mojave pretty well.

Jaycob 49

Momo's Minion
It seems that Dante's resource patch somehow makes UTAU-Synth glitchy. I've tried using UTAU-Synth without the resource patch and it works perfectly fine.

kristian-dee

Momo's Minion
Just peeping in to ask if anyone else is having this "bug" where, when playing a UST, the pitch is way off? However, when rendering a UST to WAV, the pitch is totally normal? It's annoying me a bit because I don't like having to guesstimate when I'm tuning. I like hearing the actual pitch when tuning.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Catalina really messed me and my YT plans up. lol

Nohkara

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Some users have reported on this forum that UTAU-Synth does not work in new Mac OS 11 Big Sur. Unless Ameya can make an official update, I suggest to not update to Big Sur if possible.

For those, who have already updated to Big Sur and can’t go back, there’s two option:

1) Running an emulator (for example VMware) to use UTAU-Synth in older Mac OS OR installing Windows 10 and running Windows UTAU.​

This option isn’t free and require a LOT of free space from computer. From my personal experiences running Win10 in VMware, I do NOT recommend installing and running in smallest size possible:

Audio work and wav needs space to render, so, please give plenty of memory to run it (because of these reasons, I don’t recommend this for Mac Book Air users at all).

2) Using an alternative called UTSU, this is free program in active development. (Compatibility with Mac OS 11 Big Sur is confirmed by UTSU’s developer on her Discord server)​

Please note that, as now 22 February 2021, UTSU is still in beta meaning that it has bugs and lagging features. Learn more about UTSU here: https://utaforum.net/threads/utsu-a-cross-platform-vocal-synth-frontend.17476/page-11#post-146710

Last edited: