The LMMS Club

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

LMMS is a free, multiplatform DAW.

It's similar to FL Studio in terms of interface and workflow, works on Linux, Mac, and Windows, and is used by many in the overseas UTAU community for creating original songs. It comes with many built-in instruments, effects, and samples, but you can load VSTs and soundfonts too. Click the giant logo to go to the website to download it and check out the community, projects people have shared, and the wiki.

This thread is for users of LMMS on UTAforum to gather, share their works, and help each other out. Welcome to the LMMS club, and we're dancing all night.

Members
Adlez27
WendytheCreeper
Tema
мєℓσвυηιι
partial
MinnaUta
lemobird
XJM
JVウタウ
Jeffrey
Zoku
Buck

Last edited:

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Sign me up plsplspls :love: I'll even make a userbar if I can avoid familial and pet obligations for the time it takes ahaha

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You're both in! And go ahead with the userbar. I don't have photoshop anymore..

Reactions: Tema

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
To keep our club active and fun, I've decided to start something called Club Projects. These are optional events that any LMMS user can participate in. And without further ado, here's the first one.

Club Project #01 - Alter/Ego Cover Contest

Make an LMMS remake/remix of a song and use Daisy for vocals. Please post the song and your project file.
The deadline is November 25. The winner will be decided by voting.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I did something today.

I was reading/watching videos about drum machines and synthesizers again and I wanted to make something for utaforum's LMMS club, so I decided to mess around with the 808 samples and LB302. I'm not very good at this whole "live performance" thing.

LMMS Club: http://utaforum.net/threads/the-lmms-club.11058/

The project file is in my reply on the thread.

I usually use FL studio for my music. I'm trying to encourage people to start writing music by using free software instead of being intimidated by commercial daws.

This is Windows LMMS 1.1.3 ported to Mac in Wine. I find the mac-native version unstable and weak without vst support. You can download my wine port here.
http://utaforum.net/resources/windows-lmms-for-mac.177/

Please forgive the video quality and the sisters chatting in the background.

It seems that I can't attach the project file to this post.... so I uploaded it here instead.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Gri677vajxUEJGcmFzM3M5c0U/view?usp=sharing

The first seven faders were connected to the faders for the bass/drums.
The first five knobs were connected to LB302's filter cutoff, resonance, envelope modulation, decay, and the distortion.

Last edited:

Pikachuk(SeleDreamsP)

Teto is love, Teto is life (Rin too)
Defender of Defoko
personnaly i'ma beginner,before i used this software with some soundfonts on midi files but now i want to create usts with but i've never done it before so it's hard

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Most people say to make a UST by making a midi in a DAW and then importing it to UTAU. Unfortunately, LMMS can't really export midi files. You'll have to copy it by hand with both LMMS and UTAU open at the same time. (Podium can export midi files, though.)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Oh yeah! I made this video a little while ago when I was explaining to melo how to use automation. It should be useful to you guys. Automation is really cool.

Create an automation track
Find the parameter you want to automate
Hold down CTRL, then click and drag the parameter to the automation track
Double click on the box in the track to edit it

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
I used to use LMMS until I got FL. Pretty good stuff.

EDIT: I actually had a custom dark theme I made for it too, but it's on my laptop so I can't get to it right now.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Okay, well I was going ask ya'll for some tech support but I figured it out as I was typing up my problem uuugggh SOOO!

I'm hoping even though I'm not a part of the club(yet?) I'm still able to like ask you LMMS veterans for some sweet sweet....mixing tips lol I'm not ready to mix right now of course but I don't want to wait until I am ready to ask ya feel me ;; So like...yeah...

Mixing in LMMS...how does one go about doing that? I know how to add FX and the tracks and stuff. I guess I'm really just looking for plugin suggestions ;; Especially for comp and EQ.

XJM

Teto's Territory
It's definitely a phenomenal DAW. Probably the best free desktop DAW you're ever going to get, that I know of. Though there is Ardour but that's more Linux supported and may be harder to get used to than LMMS.

Guess I can throw my hat into the ring. Though LMMS is not my primary DAW

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Aaaah, sorry for not paying attention, but I've added you guys to the member list

Reactions: Nanika

XJM

Teto's Territory
Wasn't sure if I should have posted this in my first reply buuuuut here it is anyway. This was done entirely in LMMS (with exception of Teto of course). Not really much for lyrics. I was just after something to get people head-bobbin or something. Did the graphic myself.

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't often use LMMS - I'm more of a GarageBand user - but I'm learning LMMS and am making stuff in it and it's my go-to program for music in Windows when I am not using my Mac. (I use Tracktion for mixing in both platforms though)

Please count me in!

Reactions: Kiyoteru