Tips on recording...?

Kaii

Momo's Minion
Hi guys. Just want to ask some of you guys on how to record a soft samples that starts with the "s"  and "z" consonant? I've been recording some for a while and it turns out that it always catches the "ssssa"/"s" sound too loudly. BTW, I'm always recording the "s-" and "z-" samples away from my mic.

This has been my problem ever since I created Midori... OTL Her "shi" sample is too loud.

Also, I want to ask you guys some tips on how to record some whisper-y, strong, and soft voicebanks? I want to record Midori's append but I always ended up getting the same results after the recording... ( ; w ; )

I'll really appreciate all your kind tips and advices, everyone~ Thank you!~ ( ^ u ^ ) / I know, I sound stupid asking you guys all these questions... ( TT w TT )

Eyeoffcenter

Momo's Minion
If I kept having that problem, I would just edit its volume in audacity or reaper. If it causes sound quality issues (and it really shouldn't), I don't know what to say. Keep trying and good luck.

Synthaem

Momo's Minion
Hmm, what you could do is either hold your mic a little bit above your mouth so air doesn't blow directly into it when you're pronouncing louder consonants (Z, T, S's, etc), or use the good 'ol napkin trick, and put a very thin layer of napkin over your mic and make a makeshift pop filter. But the direction of where the air is going is what the real issue is, don't try and speak directly into or at your mic, always face up or down so air isn't flowing directly into the mic when things are pronounced.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
For the soft s, if you hold your teeth together when you say it (as seems to be the usual english way of pronouncing the s sound), try pulling your lower jaw back and down a little (a really small amount mind you). This should make it less sharp.

I'd personally cut off a bit of it in the oto, too, but that's personal choice haha.

For a whisper voice you have to literally whisper and it doesn't work so well, but really they're super fun to play with for an extra bank and I'd suggest recording one, but probably as low priority.

For an airy, semi whisper bank, I'd try either holding your tone a few semitones lower or higher, and pushing out a bit more air than sound; again, UTAU usually doesn't deal with this too well. Check Yufu, Hiyori and similar voices' files to get a better feel for it.

For normal soft, just pull back a bit on your projection, but don't sacrifice so much air. Maybe a few semitones down or up to get it naturally.

For strong I'd go up a few semitones and really belt it! Have a look at Ritsu Shout/Strong/Kire's files (not just her C5 that bit's insane), or Haruka Nana's if that's closer to your voice type. Find any bank that has the power that you personally want and have a look at how they did it. Don't forget, for this one you have to have a pretty good mic or it just... won't. Also, tweaking your accent couldn't hurt here, "a"s and "o"s to be more open and stuff.

For things like dark and stuff it's usually a mixture of above things;
Like dark could be a soft bank a few semitones down with a slightly altered accent.
Vivid might be a new accent with a stronger voice.
etc

Recently, though, I've been more of a fan of Dynamic multipitch than plain appends. Essentially these end up being somewhat dark on low notes, softer then normal then vivid or light then falsetto or screaming. But that's the recent way of doing it; Thanks to Tomi and Ritsu Kire... before multipitch was just your normal tonal transitions; exaggerating these can be fun though!
But yeah hope this helps :O