Tuning Better in UTAU?

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've been an UTAU user for 2 years, and I can say my tuning is horrible xD; I'm only so good with fitting voicebanks a UST.

Here's an example of how I use UTAU with one of my friend's UTAU:

【UTAU】One of Repetition【Shizu Lin】

Does anyone have tips or help for tuning with UTAU? I'd really like to learn better. Thank you :D

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
By gosh, I am NO tuning expert even a little bit (hell, I'm still an UTAU n00b), but I can try to at least explain?

Tuning mostly involves the editing of USTs, the use of resampler, & the flag combinations used, & sometimes the mixing can contribute to tuning o3o. I suppose the best advice I can give to you as a n00b & fellow terrible tuner is editing the crap outta USTs based on the UTAU you're using. Adjust pitchbends, add some, take some away. Edit those envelopes. Try all the different resamplers, learn about what flags work in which resamplers & what they do. The little things could add up owo.

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ah true ouo

I guess I will try my best to learn it all slowly. It seems all overwhelming but I guess if I learn slowly, it will all just come around.

Do you mind if I ask any critique from you on how I currently render in UTAU and mix? ;u;

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
o3o I don't think it's bad at all! There's always room for improvements, but right now it's pretty good! Am I assuming wrong if I say that it seems like you "plug'n'play"? orz I could definitely be wrong in that, but if that's true then I suppose that's your biggest issue owo

jellophish

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Well sort of yes xD

But not really since I also fit the voicebank to the ust? So I don't really know why it's so choppy sometimes OTL But I will try to tune it better :smile:

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
Sometimes, things are just choppy and there's not much that can be done about that. If you want to try to fix that, you can use Masao's envelope editor plugin, but that has a tendency to muffle consonants. For pitchbending, take a look at USTs that you think just sound good in general, and don't forget that not all tuning styles work for all songs! I mean, it would be weird having ultra-strong vibrato on an autotuned-sounding song.