Use Windows Terminal to render UTAU sequences (Half-guide)

Axiomatic-Vertex

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
Hello you weirdos :V

I've put together a little half-guide for using the new Windows Terminal for rendering UTAU sequences instead of using that ugly ol CMD prompt that you all hate (myself included)

Now a big disclaimer: so far, you won't be able to play notes from within the UTAU editor, nor can you render USTs. Maybe some of you might suggest a way to fix this? I think it might have something to do with the terminal not caching files at the right location.
To the rest of you, if you ain't interested then you ain't interested

O K

Firstly, if you don't have Windows Terminal installed, you can grab it from the Microsoft Store, just search "Windows Terminal" and you should see it there.

Secondly, once it's installed, you'll want to change the 'ComSpec' environment variable to point to Windows Terminal by doing the following:
  • - Open the Run box using Win + R
  • - Type in "sysdm.cpl" and press Enter
  • - In the System Properties window, go to the Advanced tab, then go down and go to Environment Variables
  • - In the System variables group (the second list), find ComSpec, then click Edit
  • - Remove the existing path to cmd.exe (save it to a text file first, just in case something goes wrong you can restore it), then type in/copy and paste this: "wt -p "Command Prompt" cmd"
    This is basically telling Windows Terminal to open using the Command Prompt profile and take CMD commands, if 'cmd' is not there then you'll get an error message saying something like 'Unexpected command: /c'
  • - Now OK, and OK again

Now we ain't done
If you try and render an UTAU sequence at this stage, Windows Terminal will open but there will be lines and lines of errors saying "temp_helper is not recognised as an external command"
Windows Terminal can't find temp_helper, but we can change this by adding the temp 'utau1' folder to the Path environment variable.
  • - Using the first few steps above, go to the Environment Variables window again
  • - In the User variables group (the first list), go to the Path variable and click Edit
  • - Add this line to the end by clicking New (change USERNAME to your actual username of course): "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\utau1"
  • - OK, OK again

Now when you render a sequence in UTAU, it will go ahead and appear to render, but when you actually try to play or open it the file is corrupted. Maybe this has something to do with the files not caching correctly, maybe I have to remove the Path variable and figure out how to tell Windows Terminal to actually cache files in the same location as the UST or whatever ridiculous thing
I would appreciate it if any of you have an idea or solution to this! This would make a great guide, if it weren't for this stupid issue