UTAU Locale question

Kasoupie

Momo's Minion
Hey there!

Sorry if this has been possibly posted somewhere else, but I have searched everywhere for this but I seem to find no answer.

I have been in the vocal synth community for 12 years (Wow! Even I didn't realize how long that is), and as long as it sounds, as foolish as it sounds, I have never touched UTAU on my own devices.

The reason is pretty foolish, it's the whole locale issue. See, in this article it states:

"The only other effect this will have on your computer is that the back slash symbol (\) will appear as a yen symbol is some programs, but let's be honest, how often do you need to use the back slash?"

Well, the thing is I actually need that back slash (\). If you don't know, I'm a programmer! In programming and in my work in general the usage of the backslash is a grand tool I need. I'm sort of lost really. The main part i'm confused about is whether this is a permanent change. I don't really understand the wording here, does it mean that even after I turn back my locale to English the backslash will still be a yen symbol?

Or are there any permanent consequences in general of switching your locale to Japanese and switching it back? I will need to switch between locales to use UTAU and do work.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: atomicreih

atomicreih

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The locale change is mostly just needed so the files don't get corrupted while downloading. Afterwards, you can change it back just fine. I recommend adding Japanese to languages (for the keyboard), so you can type in hiragana when you need to while using UTAU though.

Reactions: Kasoupie

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The backslash and yen symbol are interchangeable in programming. It doesn't always show up as a yen symbol, just in cases where you're not using unicode (such as in the command line). It causes no issues for me.

Reactions: Kasoupie

Kasoupie

Momo's Minion
Sorry for the extremely late reply! But thank you to all of you so much!:smile: (Sorry if this counts as necro)