UTAU, Popularity, and You

Misha

Momo's Minion
Hey everyone. I'm Misha, and I wanted to go over a pretty sensitive topic around here.

Popularity.

A lot of people throughout the course of Utau often ask themselves, "Why doesn't my Utau get attention? I'm not looking for Teto levels of love, but I just want a comment or two on my videos!" Subsequently, they ask themselves how to even go about getting their Utau well known.

Well, I'm here to help you answer this question. It's actually a pretty simple thing, and really, anyone can obtain various degrees of success. I'm gonna cover it in a few points.

Note: If you already just use Utau just for the music, then you don't really have to read this. This is just for the people who find themselves actually upset because their Utau doesn't get the attention they feel it deserves. Respect that people actually feel this way, and that we cant all be pure hearted ~only in it for the music~ types. Be kind. Be respectful.

My first word of advice is: Evaluate why you even use this program. When you first discovered it, was your first thought, 'I would like to get popular using this program.'? No. Your first thought was more along the lines of, 'Wow, I can program my own voice to sing my favorite Vocaloid songs!' If it was the former, well, then just read on I suppose.

Notice how the emphasis when you first started was, 'Vocaloid Songs'. Music was what brought you to this program, and what made you even try it out. However, when you joined the actual fandom, you found yourself wishing people gave you more attention for the hard work you put into your Utau. That is a fine thing to wish for. Do not let it cloud the original reason you started using Utau.

There are well over 1000 different Utau. That means 1000 people, like yourself, have recorded and put work into creating an Utau. If you do put in more effort then at least 50% of those people, you will not get noticed, assuming that becomes one of your goals in the fandom.

Do not sit around and wait for people to come to you. This fandom has been around since 2009. No one is looking for you. People have made their friendships. They have done their share of work. You, as the newcomer, must put their foot forward and introduce yourself. And I don't mean once on this forum. I mean on tumblr, twitter, chatboxes, deviantart. Is there someone you would like to make friends with? Comment on their stuff. Let them know you think they are a cool person. Do not spam your Utau in their face the first time you talk to them. Nothing is more of a turn off then that. These are human beings you are talking too. If you act like you only care about Utau, and not them as a person, they won't care to know you either. Does someone publicly list their Skype name? Would you like to talk to them? Go for it! They sure as hell won't come looking for you.

Use other people's Utauloids. People will go see work done with their Utau, and if they enjoy it, you might earn subscriber, or at the very least, the other person might check out your youtube page. It's advised you use the Utau active users who comment on people using their Utau if you would like them to see your work. Do not think that using the Utau of a popular person is the goal here. These people get their Utau used all the time. They probably don't even comment on the videos of other people using their Utau. Instead, maybe you see someone who posts a lot on the forum. Their Utau is decent, and you using their Utau makes their day. They are inclined to talk to you, because who knows, maybe they are trying to get noticed themselves. You have now made yourself an ally. Who knows, maybe they will return the favor and use your Utauloid. Do not expect them to though. If you use someone's Utauloid under the mindset of, "Ok, scratched your back and now you scratch mine," you won't make a single friend in this fandom. Do it because you actually want to make friends with them, and not because you expect anything.

And on the subject of being trying to be friends with a 'popular' person, just think of it like this. You are sure as hell not the first person who tried to cozy up with someone who has a well known Utau. They will be able to smell you from a mile away. They know what your game is, and have probably even been hurt by someone just like you before. They will come off as standoff or aloof, not because they don't like you, but because they are tired of giving people chances for the other person to just try to use them to become popular. That kind of shit is not ok. View them as a person; not a free ticket to popularity. If the person doesn't seem interested in talking, then just leave them alone. Simple as that. Chances are, you are better off being yourself around less 'popular' people, rather then trying to fake it till you make it with someone you consider popular. Then who knows, you might just become friends with someone you looked up to at the start. They noticed you made other friends, rather then just diving right in, and showed yourself to be a pretty cool person. It's all about courtesy.

You don't need drawing ability to have a well known Utau in this fandom. I have plenty of friends who cannot draw. However, you do need a nice design, because the people who are artists will be attracted to that. If you are not an artist yourself, chances are, your utau's design could use some improvement. Ask around for design help or commission someone to help you out with a design. An Utau with a nice design is already ahead of most of the competition. Also, do yourself a favor and avoid Crypton stereotypes. There are so many design ideas that have never even been touched yet. Be a forward thinker!

If you have tried all these things but still haven't found any success, then you should look at yourself. It sucks to say, but we are our own worst enemies. Often times, we come off as overeager, standoffish, mopey, annoying, or flat out rude. If people have had issues with your attitude before, then the problem honestly just might be you, not everyone else.

Final point. If you want to just have fun using Utau, just do it for the music. People will, honest to god, be able to sense that shit. They will sense that you have just an honest, open love for the program, and that will attract them to you. Nothing has gotten me more friends in this fandom then that.

scarfu

Teto's Territory
I think that everything you brought up here is 100% accurate and to the point. I'd really like everyone to pay close attention to the part about "courtesy" though--that is probably the most important lesson you can learn from this post, not only regarding UTAU popularity but also as a general life lesson? Treat people how you want to be treated. Would you like it if people only wanted to be friends with you to use you for your art/songs/whatever? No? Don't do it to other people.

Besides, there are so many great people in this community that you shouldn't even WANT to make friends based SOLELY on what they can do for you--I personally have made a large amount of really good and longlasting friendships through UTAU and I urge you all to do the same. You will meet people here who you will stay friends with long after you finish up with UTAU should you try genuinely to connect with people as people, rather than machines.

Also, you DEFINITELY do not need to be a good artist to have a well-known UTAU--I know lots of UTAU whose voicers don't draw at all, and they still do well in this community. They were able to reach that point by being good people, by contributing to the community and by working hard.

A thing Misha didn't include in her post that I think is very important too is contribution. You need to contribute to stand out. You need to make covers, you need to draw, you need to write fanfiction, you need to make originals, you need to make USTs--do SOMETHING, ANYTHING that makes you stand out from the rest of the crowd. What are your individual talents? What were you good at before you came into UTAU? USE those talents to create new things in UTAU--create things that haven't been done before! Make a new type of UTAU voicebank or design that nobody has ever seen. Make a game, write a story, do ANYTHING--just work hard! That's all it is.

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Interesting post. owo)/ I would like to add that if you're shy about external contact through Skype and stuff, don't be, it's not worth getting nervous about talking to people, especially when you know you have stuff in common. Talking from experience. = w =;:wink: Maybe work your way up through PMs or something, it's easier to gradually become friends rather than to jump right in and talk to a stranger all the time.

I liked the points about using others' UTAUs, I've made a bunch of friends that way. ^^ also, I think smaller groups of close friends are better than large groups of acquaintances.

Oh yeah, and having a unique voice would probably help your utau get noticed. Not like, totally quirky, just unique.

Austria

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
I agree with everything, but people shouldn't strive to be popular like it's the only thing that matters ^^ If you're happy with what you do, then that's what matters. You don't need anyone to tell you to be able to have fun with UTAU o:

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
*panicked at seeing this thread, but calmed down after reading the content*

People, make sure not to make this a complain/bash thread, since this is some pretty good advice and could make for some good discussion.

One piece of advice I'm going to throw in, but doesn't really apply to everyone - actually do things frequently. For some, this isn't hard at all. For those of us with internet commitment issues (*cough*I'M SORRY*cough*) or real life issues or jobs or college (sob that's coming), you may not have much time. And while if you're absolutely outstanding you'll still get a following, not doing much can hurt.

I have the aforemented issues with procrastination, hiding from internet communities and huge inboxes (a vicious cycle), and posting a video one or twice every few months. And while I do still have some friends despite my neglect of them and still have followers, compared to some people who I became friends with two years ago when we joined UTAU around the same time, I'm barely known. And that's my fault - while we may do similar things, they post a video or two a month while I'd be hard pressed through my laziness to get as much out every few months.

so yeah do things
don't lose contact with friends like i have

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
"I have the aforemented issues with procrastination, hiding from internet communities and huge inboxes (a vicious cycle)"

Aaaa Shinami I know exactly where you're coming from here, I've tried to be better at this in the last couple of months but after a while I started avoiding all my messages on dA and Youtube and it got to be a huge mess.

One thing I guess I have to add is along the lines of what Austria and Misha already kind of said. If you start actually getting stressed out about production/popularity/what-have-you to the point where using UTAU and making stuff itself isn't fun anymore, it's definitely time to take a step back and look at why you're doing what you do with UTAU in the first place. Hobbies like this shouldn't be a source of stress, if anything they really should be a way to relieve it! I've seen this happen quite a lot lately and it really saddens me...

Edit: SHINAMI, OUR USER TITLES AREN'T HELPING EITHER ONE OF US

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
This, all of it u.u. When I first joined the fandom back in 2010 (I was lurking in 2009) I was already obsessed with vocaloid, so having a program that could mimic it was awesome. Although I was guilty of having that craving of recognition, I more so wanted interactions with other users I could actually call a pal.

Ironically, I am to shy to initiate the first contact and feel awkward or like that annoying person who wants to bother you :C. Even on twitter, I am sometimes reluctant to join in on a conversation.

Anyhoo thats all in the past. I don't even post covers like I use to anymore (I might start again Abrielle's VCV is complete) unless it's CV VC English related. Most of my time is spent running my UTAU group on DA and making the rankings; just with that, I am contempt :3.

UTAU is a hobby, and if your sole purpose is to just become popular, you're missing the original point of the program.