UTAU-synth or UTAU?

redwolf21

Teto's Territory
Hey everyone!
As a result of my computer deciding to freak out on me, I can no longer work with the UTAU program on my PC computer...

However, I have a Mac computer now, and I heard that there is a program called "UTAU-synth" for it.  It's basically the Mac version of UTAU (If I'm understanding that correctly xD )

When I look up videos on YouTube, I notice that the videos are labeled "UTAU-synth" and then whatever the title of the song is.  Is there something different about UTAU-synth that it actually has to be put in the title of the video?  I was also wondering if it was a good equivalent for the PC UTAU, since I'm more than likely going to have to resort to using UTAU-synth if I want to continue with UTAU. 
I also wanted to know if it was harder to work with and if the format is the same as in the regular UTAU program...

If anybody could help, I would appreciate it!

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
It's...
It's actually literally UTAU for mac. Same guy made it as WindowsUTAU.
So. Yeah. There's even a few improvements, actually. You don't need to clarify that you used UTAU-Synth if you don't feel the need.

http://utau-synth.com/

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Advantages of UTAU-Synth over PC UTAU:

• automatic hiragana-CV-to-VCV UST conversion
• slightly better default resampler (IMO)
• easier to use vibrato control panels
• envelope editing on the screen (no need to right click each sound and open a window to edit the envelope)
• doesn't have that annoying envelope error with the red "!" that PC UTAU gets almost all the time

Advantages of PC UTAU over UTAU-Synth:

• slightly better default handling of overlap and preutterance (Usynth can be a bit jumpy with CV)
• multiple third-party resamplers for different effects/voice types, with more being made constantly
• suffix broker (allows you to add/remove suffixes and prefixes from notes to use VCV and other special voicebank sounds)
• third-party plugins

Other than that, they're basically the same. Though beware, if you use UTAU-Synth you'll need to download The Unarchiver for Mac because Mac's default unzipping/archiving utilities screw up Japanese characters. Also Usynth crashes unless you save your USTs as UTF-8.

redwolf21

Teto's Territory
Ah, I see.  Thank you!
Quick question though.  When I click "Open" on my computer, a box comes up with three options to click.  I know that the first line is asking whether I want to save or not (google translate ehehehe), but what do the options say?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 13

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
The first button is "open new file without saving" the second is "cancel" and the third is "save"

Twilight Tulip

Teto's Territory
Ahh, I'm glad I saw this thread, because I'm going to be getting a Mac in a few months.

However, I don't know if people on here are aware of OSX Bootcamp; you can have Windows installed on your Mac and you can choose which OS to load at start-up.

Also, so you're saying that I can't use things like the TIPS resampler (my favourite), and plugins on UTAU-Synth? :C

rmL

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm on a Mac and I use the Windows version of UTAU via a Parallels Virtual Machine.

I've considered using Boot Camp but my version of OS X requires a copy of 'Windows 7 and above' so I can't use my copy of Windows Vista.

I've considered using UTAU-synth but I'm already comfortable using the PC Version.

Twilight Tulip

Teto's Territory
rmL link said:
I'm on a Mac and I use the Windows version of UTAU via a Parallels Virtual Machine.

I've considered using Boot Camp but my version of OS X requires a copy of 'Windows 7 and above' so I can't use my copy of Windows Vista.

I've considered using UTAU-synth but I'm already comfortable using the PC Version.
Yeah, I'm worried about the different interfaces, since I've learned my way around the PC version. I'm definitely getting Boot Camp, though. I think I might install both versions and try to learn to use UTAU-Synth as well, though.

rmL

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Twilight Tulip link said:
I think I might install both versions and try to learn to use UTAU-Synth as well, though.

I think I'll try UTAU-Synth as well. It even got updated recently so I'm quite interested to use it.

Fay_kun

Momo's Minion
Myst link said:
Advantages of UTAU-Synth over PC UTAU:

• automatic hiragana-CV-to-VCV UST conversion
• slightly better default resampler (IMO)
• easier to use vibrato control panels
• envelope editing on the screen (no need to right click each sound and open a window to edit the envelope)
• doesn't have that annoying envelope error with the red \"!\" that PC UTAU gets almost all the time

Advantages of PC UTAU over UTAU-Synth:

• slightly better default handling of overlap and preutterance (Usynth can be a bit jumpy with CV)
• multiple third-party resamplers for different effects/voice types, with more being made constantly
• suffix broker (allows you to add/remove suffixes and prefixes from notes to use VCV and other special voicebank sounds)
• third-party plugins

Other than that, they're basically the same. Though beware, if you use UTAU-Synth you'll need to download The Unarchiver for Mac because Mac's default unzipping/archiving utilities screw up Japanese characters. Also Usynth crashes unless you save your USTs as UTF-8.

UTAU-Synth has a suffix broker... you press "i"