Utau-Synth voicebank compatibility: the empty prefix map problem

gil

Teto's Territory
I've been researching this problem for a while. basically, some voicebanks don't seem to be compatible with utau-synth, and I've been trying to look into why

first of all, I looked around to see if anyone else has had this problem. I found some forum posts that seem to describe the same thing happening, so I know it's not just me

I went through my voicebanks' prefix map files and I think I see what the common thread is: prefix maps with kanji in front of the suffixes will not be able to load. to demonstrate this, I'm going to show you a comparison of voicebanks from the same developer, some of which work and some of which don't

1. number bronze: beach vcv (works) vs nebura (doesn't work)
this is the prefix map for beach VCV as a .txt file:
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.40.01 AM.png
as you can see it loads normally into synth:
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.42.27 AM.png
And then let's look at number bronze's "nebura" voicebank, which doesn't load (most of her voicebanks that I downloaded don't work in synth. I just chose this one as an example)
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.46.48 AM.png
This voicebank uses the 星 kanji in front of its suffixes. and the prefix map comes up empty
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.49.32 AM.png
When you try to play a song with a voicebank like this, you will get the error message "no notes to render." I've tried to manually fill in the prefix map inside the app, but the changes don't save

Anyway, here's another comparison between voicebanks. Anna Nyui's "colorful" voicebank works, but her "raw" one doesn't. I put their prefix maps side by side:
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.55.47 AM.png
Raw is to the right, colorful is to the left. In raw, the mojibake "ê∂" is supposed to be 生.
(side note, my unarchiver app was set to shift JIS when I unzipped this voicebank. I've tried to unzip voicebanks in UTF-8 to see if it doesn't garble stuff, but it freezes when unzipping and I can't open things. I promise you the mojibake is NOT the issue. my other voicebanks which do function have had their character text mojibake'd, but it always translates back into japanese in the app. if you need confirmation of this, I can send pictures.)

last thing: why do I think this is a problem with kanji and not just any text in front of the suffix? I have a voicebank with text in front of the suffix which does work:
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.25.22 AM.png
it's yamine renri's whisper bank. Everything starts with W, but still works

If any synth users could read this, look at their voicebanks' prefix maps, and tell me if you have this issue that would be really great. I have not yet gotten started on experimenting with solutions because I only just worked out the problem

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hey there, I'm actually the op of one of the threads mentioned. I believe a solution has been found as it's worked for me so far. Sorry I haven't made this more well-known yet.
@123happily was the one who found this solution but I think they're currently inactive? But it's thanks to them lol

Basically, some banks for whatever reason get their prefix maps corrupted when downloaded. It's just a glitch I guess. Maybe UTAU-synth needs updates or something. But even when you write over it, the folder keeps the old prefix map and uses it instead of the new one you made.
You have to delete the old one and rename the new one. The old one is usually called "prefix.map" and the new one you made it usually named "prefixmap" without the period. Delete prefix.map first and then rename prefixmap to prefix.map. Then it should work.

Also peep that stinky cheese man pfp lmao that book was my childhood haha

gil

Teto's Territory
Hey there, I'm actually the op of one of the threads mentioned. I believe a solution has been found as it's worked for me so far. Sorry I haven't made this more well-known yet.
@123happily was the one who found this solution but I think they're currently inactive? But it's thanks to them lol

Basically, some banks for whatever reason get their prefix maps corrupted when downloaded. It's just a glitch I guess. Maybe UTAU-synth needs updates or something. But even when you write over it, the folder keeps the old prefix map and uses it instead of the new one you made.
You have to delete the old one and rename the new one. The old one is usually called "prefix.map" and the new one you made it usually named "prefixmap" without the period. Delete prefix.map first and then rename prefixmap to prefix.map. Then it should work.

Also peep that stinky cheese man pfp lmao that book was my childhood haha
Hi thanks for your reply, I will try this and see if it works for me. glad it worked for you :smile:
also yeah I loved the stinky cheese man as a kid. my future kids will be forced to read that book
Post automatically merged:

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 11.11.03 AM.png
I tried out m170's suggestion and it does make the suffixes load, but it's incomplete. The kanji will not appear in the suffix box, so I still think its a part of the problem

Last edited: