Utau that sound better than vocaloids ?

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
I'm looking for realistic or close to vocaloid quality Utaus I know quality also involves mixing and eq and stuff I only know a couple good Utau s like meiji kohaku merry and ruko but I need more

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The argument of vocaloid quality is silly.
just look at their standards (ie. Sonika, Big Al, Oliver, etc)
HQ/Studio quality utau are far and few between because most banks are recorded on sub-par equipment. Or have an unfavorable voice type.

You should just browse for a voice you like and use it.

And mixing and eq won't save a really low quality bank, you want to start with something decent in the first place.
[doublepost=1445640176][/doublepost]Oh and if you want vocaloid quality then look at tree.

Reactions: JVウタウ and Nat

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
btw can I just say, number bronze has a freakin' ridiculously wide range on some of her voicebanks. like, haurvatat goes from C5 down to A2??? I know it's probably not natural but it's still incredible (also, kind of unnecessary).

Reactions: Milk

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yeah, rather than think "Vocaloid quality," just phrase it as "high quality results close enough to actual singing," because that's what you seem to want. A lot of Vocaloid things are made to sound, well, robotic, so it's hard to compare since there's so many different uses of them.

That being said, I'm gonna dump a lot of my favorite voice types on you (any videos will be in spoilers).
  • Yamine Renri
Renri's voice type sounds like it belongs in her late teens to early twenties, but can be used for lower ages too. Her lower range is really nice, but she's mostly a mezzo-soprano (leaning towards soprano range). I'd say her range is around A3~A5, based on having used her. She has a CLEAR bank, her normal bank, a WHISPER bank, and an EDGE bank. The EDGE only works with vowels, though, and is mostly for effects--literally an "edge" as you're starting a measure.

• Asane Hana
This one I'm biased towards because Hana's one of my all-time favorite UTAUs to use. Her voice type sounds like a mature woman, but can be argued for late teens still. She has a powerscale bank and soft bank, both being very well done, though you may sometimes need to change the pitches around if you're looking for certain effects (i.e. add something automatically assigned as "F4" on a note for A4 to "A4" if you're picky)

• Yorune Mimi
Another one I'm biased with because when I started writing, I used Mimi almost constantly. It's a great, easy to use bank, and there's even English CVVC and VCCV coming up. She has a Lyra bank, which is softer, a Lunae bank, which is more powerful, and old version banks. She's just great.

While I'm at it, I believe Mona Minarai's creator is pretty good friends with Mimi's, and has a great UTAU, too!
  • Koharune Ami
If cute banks are your cup of tea, Ami's probably for you. Though her arguably highest quality bank is Salad with a whopping 17 pitches, she's got a ton of other banks like Clear Cider, English (for Japanese users mostly though), a CV with 4 pitches, a 1-pitch VCV, and more. Did I mention she's adorable?

• Kumi Hitsuboku
Kumi's another cute bank, but can pull off tons of different voices! She's capable of sounding really young and sweet but also mature and powerful and it blows my mind.

I should also bring some males in here too, huh?

• Kuri Masakoto
I absolutely adore Kuri. He's got a great tripitch bank and his voice is a low-ish tenor, great for a lot of songs. If you're looking for males, give him a look.
  • Kiei
Kiei's an absolutely crazy vocal and very unique and easily recognizable. His voice is really powerful and gives off a young man's voice. It's a young tenor and it just sounds great in general. Give 'im a listen!
  • Tsukishiro Hakupo
Hakupo is a great bank. Unique like Kiei, and a little deeper. Not any deeper than tenor, but still a great bank if you wanna give it a listen!
  • Zuiga Mizuki
I can't bring up Hakupo without also bringing up Mizuki because I love both of them with a passiona nd just li ste n to that vo ic e (also sorry for repeating the same song twice)

ALSO, some people that TUNE that you might want to look up because it looks like you want realistic results but it also depends on the person who tunes!!

(YouTube links)
kyaami
Though I used to be eh towards kyaami, she's gotten a lot better with tuning lately and the main reason I mentioned Renri in the first place was my friend heard her first from her. Much of the fandom will suggest kyaami to you, but I've got a load of other people if she's not your cup of tea, too.

R.K.
R.K. is one of my all-time favorite UTAU tuners, period. She's great with her UTAU and occasionally others' UTAU too. If you're not into her voice type, since she mainly uses her own UTAU, you may not like her, though she has some of the most realistic results I've seen.

PandaLolii
Though she doesn't have the MOST realistic tuning and isn't the most meticulous, she's still great, and if you want to stock up on USTs, she has tons.

Matt/Cheezits/CircusP
I feel like I don't have to say anything here lmao (though I know his tuning isn't everyone's cup of tea)

Macnspam
Also not the most meticulous, it's still great if you wanna give it a listen.

(Nico links)
Mingoashisaran
They use Meiji, Ritsu, Amaga Eru, just to name a few. They're really good, give 'em a listen.

Konuko
You probably heard about Meiji and thought she sounded realistic from Konuko's videos reposted onto YouTube. Konuko is very popular for making Meiji, Hakupo, Mizuki, and more banks sound great.

kaoling
More known as a Vocaloid songwriter, kaoling has done a few things with UTAU here and there and is fantastic with it, too. Check her out!

Ciel
They also mostly do Vocaloid/CeVIO (covers tho), but they've still done some UTAU work if you're interested.

TL;DR "Vocaloid quality" isn't a thing, and high quality VBs help but the people who tune them are even cooler ye ok lates B')

Last edited:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
To be frank, "better" is down to subjectivity if you're referring to the voice. In terms of variety, UTAU wins hands down in the amount of voices and voice types (though that's not to say that there aren't voices that aren't gross sounding in general, or at the very least: generic). Objectively, UTAU's engine isn't quite as advanced as VOCALOID (though the developing moresampler can certainly give it a run for its money) and a lot of the pretty results has to come from the skill and equipment of the user.

If you put in bad samples, you get bad quality - that's just a fact in synth vocals. Most UTAU banks are recorded on sub par equipment in sub par environments by amateur vocalists and a lot of users aren't entirely adept with oto configuration. As such, they won't exceed... low to mid quality V2. There are those that can meet V3's quality, but again, it's down to the aforementioned variables. Just search. Scour youtube and soundcloud and even look through the UTAU tag on nico. I could throw a list and examples at you, but for all I know, my pretty could be your nails on a chalkboard. There does exist UTAU vocals that can sound just like their providers without too much engine strain.

Reactions: JVウタウ

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
Ahh why is everyone on this thread correcting OP on the way this post way worded? I think they probably get it. Once is enough.

But if you're looking for some good voicebanks, You could go with Gahata Meji, Yamine Renri, and the Vipperloids. I don't know too many myself, but that's just what I use.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ahh why is everyone on this thread correcting OP on the way this post way worded? I think they probably get it. Once is enough.

But if you're looking for some good voicebanks, You could go with Gahata Meji, Yamine Renri, and the Vipperloids. I don't know too many myself, but that's just what I use.

The reason is because there are lots of threads asking for "vocaloid quality" banks and it annoys people.
Once is enough doesn't always apply because it's more than one person (at least we aren't burning them at the stake.)

I personally wouldn't recommend most of the vipers, they are popular but not necessarily good. Ruko and Ritsu are good but I wouldn't recommend the rest.

hmm...voices are hard to recommend if we don't know your tastes.
What kind of voice do you like OP?

McCloud

Loner Stoner
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

I think you shoukd check out Arekkusu Okami, he's the best UTAU out there imho. :DDD //brutally shot down and bricked

QuestionMark

Momo's Minion
I like Sorahana Lua... she is not very well-known.... But she is super realistic! She has a CV vb and a multipitch VCV+CVVC vb !

Shine

Teto's Territory
wow I'm discovering some wonderful utau in here!
Desune Moralix has two amazing voicebanks, her voice color is very realistic! Her RAW bank is amazing, but its not out yet. However, WOLF, a tripitch VCV, is also awesome!