UTAU will not open due to file "mscomctl.ocx"

NightShade

Momo's Minion
About two weeks ago, my computer completely died and I had to buy a new one. Upon installing UTAU and trying to run it, I get a message saying "Component mscomctl.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. I followed the instructions to fix this by running CMD as an admin and putting in the following commands: "cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64" then "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx" but I get this message from that: "The module mscomctl.ocx was loaded but the call to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x080004005" and now I'm completely stuck.

I have said file along with mscomct2.ocx in the SysWOW64 file as they should be, and even put those files into the System32 folder and ran similar command prompts. But still the same result. I have my computer set to Japanese locale and installed UTAU after setting my new computer to Japanese. So what in the world am I doing wrong??? UTAU worked fine on my previous computer that was also a windows 10, so what gives? I really want to be able to use UTAU again but this sadly may be where I end up having to retire from it because I cannot fix this to save my life. Microsoft sent me some command prompts to run to try and repair any corrupt files, but that also yielded no results.

I also tried adding both of those files to the Utau folder. Nothing. I'm really sad because I love UTAU and I don't want to say goodbye, but it's looking like this is the end. My old computer completely destroyed itself, it's literally broken beyond repair. I cannot find any other fixes. I know my computer is the problem but I cannot repair this error no matter how what I do.

Rip me using UTAU 2009-2019. ;_;

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
You probably have to manually register the file using the command prompt. I had this problem at work once. Its not particularly complicated, but I can't tell you how to do it off the top of my head. If you google the error, there'll be a whole bunch of tutorials though.

never mind. i should read better.

[edit]
Are you on a 64 or 32 bit version of Windows? I'd assume its 64 bit since its, y'know, the 21st century, but what I'm reading online suggests that this error may arise from trying to register this file to the 32 bit directory (system32) on a 64 bit machine and vice versa.

[edit2]
here's a thing with the same error code, which further down the thread has a link to another forum with a possible solution: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...server-failed-with-error?forum=win10itproapps

Last edited:

NightShade

Momo's Minion
[edit]
Are you on a 64 or 32 bit version of Windows? I'd assume its 64 bit since its, y'know, the 21st century, but what I'm reading online suggests that this error may arise from trying to register this file to the 32 bit directory (system32) on a 64 bit machine and vice versa.

[edit2]
here's a thing with the same error code, which further down the thread has a link to another forum with a possible solution: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...server-failed-with-error?forum=win10itproapps

I'm on a 64 bit version. I had tried the suggestion from the link provided as a solution, but it just keeps giving me the same error code 0x080004005.