Contest UTAUvision 2017: The first UTAU battles start NOW

Kiyohime

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
THE FINALISTS + NEW THEMES -> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8-X-AeKMw4sdfnGkOuJHUVxdvhglHPo_cg5YC6oT1M/edit?usp=sharing

17474107_623982824473250_142637504_o.png
Will your team make it to the finals?

Welcome

Hello ladies, gentle men and everything between that! I'm am Cyberkyo and your host for the coming months!
Welcome in the official thread of UTAUvision. The first real UTAU battle. We all know the Utaite battles where teams fight each other with marvelous covers. They work together to sing, make art, mix and animate to make the greatest choruses. Now we will bring that kind of "battles" to the UTAU community. We also based this contest on Eurovision songfestival. Maybe you are familiar with it, maybe you're not. Anyway take a seat, get some instant noodles, a can of cola and relax. This post might get a bit long. But it is necessary to read if you want to join. Ready? Set. GO!

Battles what?!

What are UTAU battles and how does this contest work. It is fairly simple.
What do you need? 3 to 6 people from YOUR country.
Someone who can tune, someone to make art, someone to mix, etc.
Except for the animator, they may be from another country (since animators are rare).
You all have to collab to make 1 cover every round. The UTAUs you use MUST be from your country as well. If you can't find UTAUs or team mates please go to the FAQ.

The contest has 2 rounds: Semi-Finals and Finals. Each round has their own theme. You will have to interpret that theme and make a cover that fits it.

In the Semi-Finals 30 groups are allowed. EDIT. Probably more groups will be allowed
We will allow multiple groups for each country BUT

1. If you are the only group of your country, you guaranteed get in the contest.

2. USA get standard 2-4 slots because it is the biggest country and has the most users. EDIT USA get more slots, more info soon
3. People without a country will get the chance to get it as well (see FAQ)
4. Rest of the slots will be "first come first serve". You better apply asap.

I will announce the teams that got it on YouTube.

All the covers will be posted ONLY on the official channel of UTAUvision. This because in the finals viewer votes will count and everybody needs a fair start. I don't want popular users to have advantages on less known users. More info in FAQ.

How does the semi-final work?

Teams are announced, you cried, sweated, offered a goat to Satan and you are finally done with your cover. What now?

Simple email your cover to: utauvision@outlook.com
Please do not forget to give credit for the UST, music, mixing,... who did what, etc.
Also include your theme interpretation and motivate why you picked that song. A short word from every team member is also nice.

I will upload all the covers on the official Youtube of UTAUvision. So can the other judges watch them and give you points/critique.
This will happen 2 weeks after the semi-final deadlines. Scores will be announced on YouTube and only the 15 best groups will pass to the next round.

How does the finals work?

Congratulations! You have made it this far! Now next round. Are you ready?
A new theme will be announced and you can start all over again. But the winner will be chosen a bit differently.

70% Judge score + 20% Viewer votes + 10% Views on the video.

And this is the reason why we want all the covers on OUR channel. So everybody starts with the same chance to get views.

Same judges, people can vote on their favourite entry and the total views will count as well. So it is super duper important to advertise your favourite entry or cheer for your country.
More info below.

Who are these "Judges"?!

You wanna know that huh? Should I tell you? Of course I will!

Tuning Judge n°1: Some call her Queen, other people call her God, but I just call her Cillia. Ha! Indeed our first judge is Kyaami. She is known for her realistic tuning in both VOCALOID and UTAU. Will you be able to satisfy her with you tuning? Most people already subscribed her but in case you haven't: goo.gl/nxYhXC

Tuning Judge n°2: Of all popular utau users I know, she is the one I have never ever heard someone say something bad about her. Maybe you can conclude this person is a real cinnamon role. However her UTAU is one of the most energetic and powerful ones I know. Of course I am talking about the lovely RageyNoodles, who created the princess of powerbanks Sora Denatsu. She will accompany Kyaami to judge the tuning. In case you don't subscribe her yet -> https://goo.gl/buo7s3

Mixing Judge: Did you ever felt envy because a person way younger than you has more talent in his left thumb than you in your whole body? I have this feeling with our mixing judge. He is a blessing for the vocaloid community and some people like to jokingly call him "the Britney of VOCALOID", yes, I'm talking about Yusukekira. Even though he is still in his teenage years, he already made some really nice and catchy originals. You should all download them on your MP3 player. Don't subscribe him yet? Here you go -> https://goo.gl/qGClY2

Art/PV Judge: Of all people listed here, she might be my real "senpai" and the reason why I started drawing in the first place. That's why I thought she would make the best judge for art. Nevertheless she has also a wonderful portfolio of artwork she provided for UTAU and VOCALOID covers. She has made art for f.e. Kyaami, Nostraightanswer, CircusP,... Her UTAU isn't updated for a while now, but you should still know her. Let me introduce Shiva aka 6LIN (Rokurin122). Please subscribe her if you haven't yet -> https://goo.gl/6I8kFZ

Creativity/Interpretation theme Judge: Last and maybe a little bit least. That's me. Cyberkyo. I haven't done something really amazing in this community yet, maybe hosting this contest. But anyway. I do my best. I'm the average user like you. I hope will all get along during this contest and after. Do your best! I also have YouTube -> https://goo.gl/EfphIg

How do the viewer votes work

So by now it is pretty clear all the covers will be uploaded on our channel. Not yours, not the channel of your grandma, only on ours. Everybody starts from the same channel so same amount of subscribers.

After I uploaded all the videos of the finals, I will upload another video with 30secs of every entry. In the comments people will be able to vote, just by writing the name of the country they wish to vote for.
However.

1. You cannot vote for your own country.
2. Your country on YouTube must be public.
3. If you comment more than one country, vote on your own or don't have your location set public YOUR VOTE DOESN'T COUNT. I'm strict.

I will count all votes manually and check your location manually. I have no life, so I am willing to do that. Don't try to cheat by changing your country, I will find out anyway. This has to be fair.

But more info will be in the announcement video of the Finals.

What can you win?

Sweethearts, I promise that we are almost done. You almost read through everything. Please stay strong. I know it is long.

Every contest has a price. Right? So does this one.
Since I am the host I decided to start a prize pool. I donate (after I worked this summer tho) 50$/€.
This means 50€ for the winning team (16,6 - 8.3€ for each team member). I'm a student as well so I cannot give more. The 50€ will be a coupon for CDjapan.co.jp

Now if you want to make the price pool larger you can donate the contest (sharing the donation options is very appreciated). You can either donate money on Gofundme, paypal or to donate art.
In case we would earn a lot from
donations (as in more than 210€/$) We will give the left overs to charity. The judges and I still have decide who or what. But probably something that will be good for the whole utau community.

Where can you donate?
Paypal: utauvision@outlook.com
Gofundme: https://www.gofundme.com/utauvision-2017-prize-pool
If you want to provide art email: utauvision@outlook.com
You can donate until the announcement of the winners of the Semi-Finals.
We will announce the total prize pool in the same video.

How can I join this contest?

You were waiting for this part weren't you?

1. You try to contact your local community. Ask on twitter, FB, utaforum, this thread, whatever who wants to join your team.
Or join the discord I made to search team mates: https://discord.gg/D9Zpmeq
2. If you have 3 to 6 members please fill in this form -> https://goo.gl/forms/CioaREiEjcL61AOY2
3. Wait for
approval

Deadlines!!!

Avoid drama and write these down SOMEWHERE. I don't care where.

SEE THE NEW GOOGLE DOC

So basically you get 1,5 month to make a cover. This should be enough to combine it with school and work.
The Judges take 2 weeks to judge/count votes. Because we are also students and we want to listen and watch carefully. So give us some time.

Handy URLs

The general discord of UTAUvision2017: https://discord.gg/e4Eu3Yk
The discord if you still need team mates: https://discord.gg/D9Zpmeq
UTAUvision Youtube channel: https://goo.gl/mRt5JS
Our gofundme: https://www.gofundme.com/utauvision-2017-prize-pool

For questions email: utauvision@outlook.com
or tweet to: @cyberkiyo
or add me on discord:
Cyberkyo#049

That's all

Here stops the general thread with info. Behind this paragraph you will find the FAQ.

I wish you all good luck! We wish you all good luck!

Cyberkyo
Kyaami
6LIN
Yusukekira
RageyNoodles

FAQ
I am the only user in my country what should I do?

Please fill in this form -> https://goo.gl/forms/0hxu9Oa6CGrKR2Xn1
You will be put in a "users pool" and I will put you in a random team. You can provide names of people you want to work with but:

1. These people will have to fill in the same form.
2. If I notice I can put you in a team of people of your country, I will.

Please try to invent a name for your fake country if you are part of a mixed group.

My country doesn't have any good UTAUloids

If your country doesn't have any good utauloids. Or for mixed groups, none of you have a good utau. Please use an UTAU or the UTAUs of the Judges.

These are: CRINA, Tomi Samura, MeGami Yuwakune (ask Cyberkiyo for multipitch bank) and Sora Denatsu.

Which UTAUloids may I use and how many do I have to use?

All languages are fine.
All kind of voicebanks are fine (cv, vcv, vccv, cvcvvccvvvccvcvc, whatever)
Solo covers are fine but choruses are fine as well. Do what you want.

You MUST use banks for YOUR country. So unless you are from Japan, I don't want to see vippers, Nyui, Meiji, whatever.
It is the creator of the utau who matters. So if the voicer is from another country that doesn't matter.

I have double nationality or moved to another country can I join?

Yes. You can choose for which country you enter.
Lucky you, you have more chances to get in a team!

Can I work alone or with 2 people?

No.

Can I post my cover on my channel?

No. Until the contest is done you cannot upload it on your channel. If you want to promote your entry. You MAY upload a short version (TV size, trailer, ...) on your channel or upload the cover without video on soundcloud.
This way you can still promote your entry. Promoting yourself and other is allowed. Even during the finals. As long you don't buy votes and views, it is ok.

Can I make an original instead of a cover

Yes.

To be continued... ...

Last edited:

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
UK going to flop. We have 2 people and no artist/animator, so FIGHTING

Reactions: Kitcat190

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Okay update UK is living, we just need to ask our animator but be ready!! Anticipate us <3

Reactions: Kiyohime

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So i sent in a registration and need to edit it to add members, do I PM or just make another one and say disregard teh last one I placed in?

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Is there a place where we can advertise teams? I'm starting a US team but I don't really know how to get more members. lol

Kiyohime

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
UK going to flop. We have 2 people and no artist/animator, so FIGHTING
Try deviantart? I know enough UK artists.
I never wrote down the artist has to be an utau user :3

Good luck ;.A;;
[doublepost=1490608869][/doublepost]
Is there a place where we can advertise teams? I'm starting a US team but I don't really know how to get more members. lol
Yes. You can either tweet under the hashtag #utauvision2017
Use our team search discord (see thread, handy urls)
Or write a message in the facebook groups: UTAU/VOCALOID users
Overseas Utau voicers.

Good luck!
[doublepost=1490608916][/doublepost]
So i sent in a registration and need to edit it to add members, do I PM or just make another one and say disregard teh last one I placed in?
Better make a new form. ;;3;;

melodicake

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
When will we know if our team has been approved or not? I sent my registration in last night.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Aah this looks like it'll be fun;; I can sticky this topic if you like! (Also posted links to it on the overseas-utafest group on dA)

Edit: how do we not have an events/contests forum brb fixing that

Last edited:

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Good luck to everyone! I'd apply myself but I guess I am the only really active brazilian nowadays :/

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
A quick question. Can team members sit out a round or just be there for creative guidance?

Kiyohime

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
When will we know if our team has been approved or not? I sent my registration in last night.
16 April! Please stay tuned ;;A;;
[doublepost=1490707026][/doublepost]
Aah this looks like it'll be fun;; I can sticky this topic if you like! (Also posted links to it on the overseas-utafest group on dA)

Edit: how do we not have an events/contests forum brb fixing that
Ah thank you so much!

I just have one question. Is there a way I can edit the main thread post? Because I want to add 2 questions to the FAQ but I don't have permission to edit my thread ;;;
[doublepost=1490707116][/doublepost]
Good luck to everyone! I'd apply myself but I guess I am the only really active brazilian nowadays :/
I think you are the 5th Brazilian person saying this, so i think you just don't know each other xD Please visit out discord server or my twitter. I will most likely find people there.
[doublepost=1490707147][/doublepost]
A quick question. Can team members sit out a round or just be there for creative guidance?
I have no idea what you mean tbh xD