Resource icon

Tutorial VB Release Checklist

LunarConstruct

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
TsukiHikari816 submitted a new resource:

VB Release Checklist - Wondering what to do next before releasing your new voicebank?

When making a voicebank, there can be a lot of planning going into it. This checklist can help with planning your release, and anything involving your new voicebank!
This tutorial is relatively newbie-friendly (although it does require a little bit of tech knowledge, including some basic knowledge of UTAU) , so if this is your first UTAU, welcome, and I hope my checklist here helps you out! I will briefly describe each step, but will often be linking to other people's tutorials.
If you're a...

Read more about this resource...

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Excellent resource, I'm glad that someone is trying to compile things together like this to make the entire process more understandable to a newbie. However, I do feel like a few points could be changed.

Microphones: Blue microphones are popular in the community, but one is typically paying more for a brand name than for quality. Alternative cheap USB microphones for newbies to consider are the Behringer C1u and the Samson C01u. If one is willing to spend a budget of more than about $100 then that's when they should start considering XLR. However, a newbie isn't going to be spending much on microphones. I find it perfectly acceptable for people to use headsets when they start, as they are a slight upgrade from using a built-in microphone on a laptop.
Also, when it comes to pop filters, there's many DIY options. The cheapest one of all is this paper and tissue one. A common DIY is to use wire from a coathanger and fabric from old stockings to make a pop filter.

Reclists/VB types: Your explanation discusses the differences between them, but I think you should also include approximate recording time and OTOing time, as well as linking to recommended reclists. You should probably also an include a link to Terindie's resource on what to look for in Japanese reclists, as there are so many out there it can get confusing.
I personally believe that, after CV, the best second step for a newbie is to make a japanese CVVC voicebank (because of less recording/otoing than VCV, and as a learning bridge to other languages' CVVC). If you feel the same way, you should probably provide links to things like Presamp or autoCVVC.

Readme/Character.txt: Perhaps a short spoiler'd outline of how to format it. Like..
name=Your UTAU's Name
image=utau-icon.bmp
sample=utau-sample.wav
web=www.your-utau-website.tk
author=Your name

Breaths: Yeah, this is plugging myself, but I think this guide is a better method for using breaths and other omake samples. If you're not pitching or changing the length of a sample, then putting the samples through UTAU is only creating unnecessary distortion.

LunarConstruct

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Excellent resource, I'm glad that someone is trying to compile things together like this to make the entire process more understandable to a newbie. However, I do feel like a few points could be changed.

Microphones: Blue microphones are popular in the community, but one is typically paying more for a brand name than for quality. Alternative cheap USB microphones for newbies to consider are the Behringer C1u and the Samson C01u. If one is willing to spend a budget of more than about $100 then that's when they should start considering XLR. However, a newbie isn't going to be spending much on microphones. I find it perfectly acceptable for people to use headsets when they start, as they are a slight upgrade from using a built-in microphone on a laptop.
Also, when it comes to pop filters, there's many DIY options. The cheapest one of all is this paper and tissue one. A common DIY is to use wire from a coathanger and fabric from old stockings to make a pop filter.

Reclists/VB types: Your explanation discusses the differences between them, but I think you should also include approximate recording time and OTOing time, as well as linking to recommended reclists. You should probably also an include a link to Terindie's resource on what to look for in Japanese reclists, as there are so many out there it can get confusing.
I personally believe that, after CV, the best second step for a newbie is to make a japanese CVVC voicebank (because of less recording/otoing than VCV, and as a learning bridge to other languages' CVVC). If you feel the same way, you should probably provide links to things like Presamp or autoCVVC.

Readme/Character.txt: Perhaps a short spoiler'd outline of how to format it. Like..
name=Your UTAU's Name
image=utau-icon.bmp
sample=utau-sample.wav
web=www.your-utau-website.tk
author=Your name

Breaths: Yeah, this is plugging myself, but I think this guide is a better method for using breaths and other omake samples. If you're not pitching or changing the length of a sample, then putting the samples through UTAU is only creating unnecessary distortion.
Thank you for replying to this!

I've only ever had a Blue Snowball (I've just bought a new microphone that should be coming in soon) so I actually didn't know of any other good mics. Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely add them to the resource. C:
As well as the idea for links to Presamp and AutoCVVC! I personally could never get autocvvc to work, so it didn't come to mind, but I'll add them too C:
Thanks again for all the suggestions! <3

LunarConstruct

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Oh - also - I would suggest reclists, but there are just so many because some people aren't just looking for Japanese. There are also so many in the resources, and it's really all up to preference...