Voicebank Storage "Cloud" (Voicebank Safety)

Tutorial Voicebank Storage "Cloud" (Voicebank Safety) 2016-04-15

★StarsNeverStop★

Princess Of The Stars
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
★StarsNeverStop★ submitted a new resource:

Voicebank Storage "Cloud" - Keeping you from losing your voicebanks

There are 2 programs I think are a great place to keep your UTAU(s) from being lost forever do to system failures.
There is of course the "External Drive" that a lot of users have, but not everyone can get one. (Some of us don't have the money or are minors and parents won't buy one, or you'd rather not have the drive and accidentally lose it)
Flash Drives are good if you only have a small voicebank, but that's not always the case. Some of us have large VCCV voicebanks and multi-pitches...

Read more about this resource...

pickko

Teto's Territory
Nice resource on using Dropbox.

There are two other similar options - Google Drive or OneDrive.

One advantage of using google drive is that most people probably have a google account from gmail or from youtube account. The same google account can be reused to access Google Drive. This help you to save the trouble of having to create one more account.

This is also same for using OneDrive. If you have a hotmail or outlook email addresses, you can reuse the same email address to log in OneDrive.

The storage space for each are :
  • Google Drive - 15 GB
  • OneDrive - 5 GB
  • Dropbox - 2 GB
Google Drive has the most storage space.

All the storage providers also allow you to share your selected voicebanks with the public.

I have watched the video in the resource.
Dropbox allow us to download an application to the desktop so that our files and folder will automatically sync and backup to the clouds.
Google has similar desktop application https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive.
Same features apply to OneDrive https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-sg/download/

Last edited:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For those who lack the previous sources mentioned or want a more secure/robust storage area, there's also box.com and mega.co.nz I find mega to be the best place to store your files - esp. if you don't want to lose rare banks that may have gone out of circulation or don't want anyone to access your bank until you give the link (mega's links are encrypted, box has a feature where you can make a folder, store the compressed bank there, and have it accessible only by certain individuals or no one but you). However, the best plan of action is a combination of...

- store your bank on a partition separate from Windows (if you ever have to reinstall Windows, you'll always have it on your hdd, provided you don't format that partition or the sectors get corrupted)
- store your bank on external physical media (external drives are cheap and can be gotten for less than $100 - even a flashdrive with 4Gbs or traditional CD-R with 700mbs of storage is more than enough for the average bank)
- store your bank in more than one cloud service - remember, you are at the mercy of another person's servers. servers get shut down by the government, ddos attacks, passwords get stolen, files get deleted for any reason (those who search for Nero Go-on and other rare voices, use 4shared and mediafire, look for banks on afxc, or lost files to the megaupload raid know what I'm talking about), free services may become subscriptions and require money (or you may have a subscription, only to not be able to pay one month) - there is no one infallible service. one should always have more than one place where their bank is kept.

Reactions: Kitcat190

★StarsNeverStop★

Princess Of The Stars
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for telling everyone about the other programs they can use guys :smile:
tbh i was too lazy to try and list them all XD