[WARNING: n00blet] Can't separate my syllables (is that even the correct terminology?)

icey

Momo's Minion
Hey everyone! I'm brand-new to UTAU and I know very little about the software (in terms of how to create USTS- I've done a lot of research on the technology.)
Today I'm trying to string together a the line from the song Sad Machine. (Take a look. It's a "speaking" stanza, so it isn't supposed to sound melodic.)
8HzC19.png

I've manually inputted oU, and I'd like the UTAU to pause for a while before singing it. I simply have no clue how to do this- oU seems to be linked to the other notes in a way that prevents me from moving it horizontally.

I know this has probably been answered elsewhere, but I've had trouble finding quality tutorials that straightforwardly explain this. (It also probably doesn't help that I have no clue what to search FOR- I really am that n00by. Please excuse me for this.)

Can anyone tell me how to approach this?

Thanks! :-)

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Before I answer your question, I do have concern about the fact that you're using UTAU without having changed your locale to Japanese (I can tell because Teto's name in the box beside the tempo is in gibberish). Usability as far as English banks may not be impacted, but running UTAU without proper Japanese support can result in random errors such as resamplers not working properly, certain tools and functions - built in and plugins - being in mojibake, etc.
EDIT: I noticed that in your introductory thread you said that you primarily run linux. I would look up the code needed to run in the terminal to get zips and programs properly unarchived/running without the mojibake.

As for answering the main question, you have to switch from the traditional mouse tool to the drawing tool (they're right next to the box called Length above the piano roll). Draw anywhere in the same position that oU is in (doesn't have to be the same note) til it's the desired length and release when done. You'll result in a mojibaked あ note. Change the note to R (upper or lowercase doesn't matter) and it'll become a rest.

Last edited:

icey

Momo's Minion
Before I answer your question, I do have concern about the fact that you're using UTAU without having changed your locale to Japanese (I can tell because Teto's name in the box beside the tempo is in gibberish). Usability as far as English banks may not be impacted, but running UTAU without proper Japanese support can result in random errors such as resamplers not working properly, certain tools and functions - built in and plugins - being in mojibake, etc.
EDIT: I noticed that in your introductory thread you said that you primarily run linux. I would look up the code needed to run in the terminal to get zips and programs properly unarchived/running without the mojibake.

As for answering the main question, you have to switch from the traditional mouse tool to the drawing tool (they're right next to the box called Length above the piano roll). Draw anywhere in the same position that oU is in (doesn't have to be the same note) til it's the desired length and release when done. You'll result in a mojibaked あ note. Change the note to R (upper or lowercase doesn't matter) and it'll become a rest.

Hey there!
Currently I'm in the process of setting up Applocale to get UTAU to run properly in an English locale. Thanks for the warning, though- I'll definitely be fixing that before I get to a big project.
In terms of Linux, I'm actually compiling a package that will allow UTAU to run properly without mojibake just by using git to download the repository. I haven't been working on this too much, but it's definitely something I'm thinking about.
As for your last comment- thank you so much! It's exactly what I've been looking for. I didn't get any mojibake when I "drew" the note- (only a ?) but your answer worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Suyeon already answered your question, but I reccomend not doing the melody/notes directly in the piano roll... > v > It's a pain; I reccomend doing it in something like FL or LMMS then exporting as MIDI.

icey

Momo's Minion
Suyeon already answered your question, but I reccomend not doing the melody/notes directly in the piano roll... > v > It's a pain; I reccomend doing it in something like FL or LMMS then exporting as MIDI.
I would NEVER make a song in UTAU, lol. I didn't think that was even possible. I use Fruity Loops for my music production.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hey there!
Currently I'm in the process of setting up Applocale to get UTAU to run properly in an English locale. Thanks for the warning, though- I'll definitely be fixing that before I get to a big project.
In terms of Linux, I'm actually compiling a package that will allow UTAU to run properly without mojibake just by using git to download the repository. I haven't been working on this too much, but it's definitely something I'm thinking about.
As for your last comment- thank you so much! It's exactly what I've been looking for. I didn't get any mojibake when I "drew" the note- (only a ?) but your answer worked perfectly.

Thanks again.
No problem. If you have a modern OS (Vista, 7, 8.x, 10) that you dual boot, no need for applocale. If anything, applocale makes things worse and in truth, it only works on the program it's set up for, it won't do you any favors for files with Japanese (some usts and banks if you use japanese). If you have windows dual boot newer than xp, it's best to change the locale through control panel.

icey

Momo's Minion
No problem. If you have a modern OS (Vista, 7, 8.x, 10) that you dual boot, no need for applocale. If anything, applocale makes things worse and in truth, it only works on the program it's set up for, it won't do you any favors for files with Japanese (some usts and banks if you use japanese). If you have windows dual boot newer than xp, it's best to change the locale through control panel.
This I know- the biggest issue here is that my Winows machine (it's completely separate from my laptop- no dual booting here.) is a family computer, thus making it very hard to reset without losing any important data, haha.

I'll definitely give it a go if Applocale doesn't suit my needs.

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I would NEVER make a song in UTAU, lol. I didn't think that was even possible. I use Fruity Loops for my music production.
I think what Zoku's trying to say is creating the base .ust (the singing part) directly in UTAU (i find utau confusing at first cause instead of just dragging the notes, you need to input it as a "rest" which is like a note without a sound lel)

Reactions: Zoku

icey

Momo's Minion
I think what Zoku's trying to say is creating the base .ust (the singing part) directly in UTAU (i find utau confusing at first cause instead of just dragging the notes, you need to input it as a "rest" which is like a note without a sound lel)
Oh, I see- I didn't pick up on that at all. Honestly I have no problems with creating USTs in UTAU.

Reactions: Miawerz

Miawerz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh, I see- I didn't pick up on that at all. Honestly I have no problems with creating USTs in UTAU.
Welp the first time i tried making a .ust, the timing was so off that I've just time-stretched the rendered wav file at audacity
~cuzimthatmuchofanoobbackthenlel

icey

Momo's Minion
Welp the first time i tried making a .ust, the timing was so off that I've just time-stretched the rendered wav file at audacity
~cuzimthatmuchofanoobbackthenlel
Haha, well, that works in some situations! Personally, I just find it hard to make the comparison of the voice and the midi sounds in my head clear. Because I'm new to the production of UTAU, I'm still not completely comfortable with all the nooks and crannies of the software.

Reactions: Miawerz