What is Arpasing?

Miau

Momo's Minion
Hey there.

I was really into Vocaloid and Utau back in the days and now I'm trying to get back into it.

The last "revolutionary" breakthrough in the English Utau community that I know of is VCCV, but apparently things changed quite a bit - I found myself confronted with arpasing.

I've searched the forum/internet, but haven't got a satisfactory (to me) answer on what arpasing actually is.
From what I've been able to gather so far it is rather a way of otoing than a new reclist, and it strikes me as "basically CVVC". Which doesn't seem coherent, English CVVC banks almost exclusively sounded terrible but arpasing on the other hand is able to produce some solid English singing.

So my question is what arpasing is exactly and what makes it so good/what advantages does it have over, for instance, VCCV?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You're right, Arpasing is an English method for UTAU that is essentially the same as CVVC. Another characteristic is that each unit consists of only two phonemes, and that you connect them end to end to get more complex sequences. (So rather than a full CCV syllable being available, you construct it with CC+CV.)

The main advantage is that it's very quick and simple to produce a basic functional Arpasing voicebank. The default reclists are extremely short, and Moresampler is able to generate a base OTO. Additionally, there's the Arpasing Assistant plugin which can convert USTs with ordinary English lyrics into phonemes that are already split up into separate notes. You can learn all of the details about Arpasing as well as download existing voicebanks and USTs from the website.

https://arpasing.neocities.org/

Miau

Momo's Minion
You're right, Arpasing is an English method for UTAU that is essentially the same as CVVC. Another characteristic is that each unit consists of only two phonemes, and that you connect them end to end to get more complex sequences. (So rather than a full CCV syllable being available, you construct it with CC+CV.)

The main advantage is that it's very quick and simple to produce a basic functional Arpasing voicebank. The default reclists are extremely short, and Moresampler is able to generate a base OTO. Additionally, there's the Arpasing Assistant plugin which can convert USTs with ordinary English lyrics into phonemes that are already split up into separate notes. You can learn all of the details about Arpasing as well as download existing voicebanks and USTs from the website.

https://arpasing.neocities.org/
Thanks a lot for the reply!