What is most important to the image of an UTAU?

Cheezy Kim

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
like the tittle said ...What is most important to the image of an UTAU?
i saw that some UTAUs have Realistic human characteristics...other that is extremely basic...but cool ..and others that are like something that came out of an anime
so i know that an UTAU can be anything ..but what is better? ..an realistic avatar that makes you think that the voice of the UTAU is extremely awesome?
or an kawaii anime avatar?

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
nothing is bad in moderation
as long as it isn't a boring // unappealing design, it's fine
you wouldn't want just a t-shirt of shorts, but you don't want overly techy for the most part either
plus it depends on the color scheme, and a person's general likes and dislikes

meichan

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
There's also a stick figure
And a bunch of frogs
And a silly fat cat thing
And a snake with a dog's head!

Cheezy Kim

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
TheSnowSongstress said:
nothing is bad in moderation
as long as it isn't a boring // unappealing design, it's fine
you wouldn't want just a t-shirt of shorts, but you don't want overly techy for the most part either
plus it depends on the color scheme, and a person's general likes and dislikes

i'm screwed then xD cause i was drawing an avatar for Jason ..cause he doesn't have an image yet :c and i only have made him with a t-shirt xD
:holy--:

meichan said:
There's also a stick figure
And a bunch of frogs
And a silly fat cat thing
And a snake with a dog's head!

:holy--: A snake with a dog's head xD oh god

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
never forget tree, who is a tree
he's a joke but all the love

With UTAU designs, the worst thing you can do is super generic character. Or Crypton rip-off. Or the designs that think they're being creative but really they're only taking super generic outfits bits, putting them together, and sticking random colors on them.

Go crazy. Whether it's to make a wierd UTAU (a cabbage, a tree, a snakedog), to make a theme UTAU (TATARI is clearly ringmasters/clowns and creepyness, there was this one super cool harpy UTAU on Nico that I love the design of so much, Souka Satsuki/loads of UTAUs with very traditional Japanese themes), or just a cool idea you had or fashion you looked up or something. As long as you're INSPIRED, whether by sillyness or by a theme or by fashion or whatever, surely the design will be fine.

Cheezy Kim

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i don't want to offense anyone but some avatars that i saw where like "OMG GOT LASERS IN MY BACK AND A SWORD WITH A MICROPHONE AND MY EYES ARE MIRRORS" and you expect that the VB be as awesome as the avatar
i don't know why but i always associate an good VB with a good avatar (?
if the avatar is good i think that the VB is good as the avatar

and...try to create a design for Jason to me is in vain, cause i can't draw what i'm thinking ..cause i'm terribad drawing
:bigtears:

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
you can't really go by avatar because you don't know if:
-It may be a joke
-Art =/= UTAU Voice Quality
-May not have been drawn by the utau's owner if you do believe art = voice quality

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
TheSnowSongstress said:
-It may be a joke
-May not have been drawn by the utau's owner if you do believe art = voice quality

^ I agree with this.

That being said, I can kind of understand judging on art to a degree. It's often the first thing people notice, so it's their first impression. If someone doesn't put effort into the art, what's to say they put effort into the voice? It seems a bit unfair for people who can't draw (likemelul), but they can always get an art commission/trade. It may not be their physical effort they're putting into the design, but they're still making an investment to make their UTAU the best it can be.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
teifuani said:
TheSnowSongstress said:
-It may be a joke

^ I agree with this.

That being said, I can kind of understand judging on art to a degree. It's often the first thing people notice, so it's their first impression. If someone doesn't put effort into the art, what's to say they put effort into the voice? It seems a bit unfair for people who can't draw (likemelul), but they can always get an art commission/trade. It may not be their physical effort they're putting into the design, but they're still making an investment to make their UTAU the best it can be.
this, i've always believed you need to put effort into both
however
in the amount of time it takes one user to make an amazing piece of art, the other may only have a sketch or lineart
art effort vs overall quality varies between artists

Ryuuoh DeltaPlus

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Having a very cool avatar doesn't always equate to having a great VB.

Avatars is only one aspect that makes an UTAU unique. Desigining one really is a personal preference. Whether it will be a kickass one, a cute one, a bishie one, or totally-out-of-this-world one, how it's gonna look is one's own decision.

Cheezy Kim

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
TheSnowSongstress said:
teifuani said:
TheSnowSongstress said:
-It may be a joke

^ I agree with this.

this, i've always believed you need to put effort into both
however
in the amount of time it takes one user to make an amazing piece of art, the other may only have a sketch or lineart
art effort vs overall quality varies between artists

now i'm agree with this cause i haven't see this in that way :B

Ryuuoh DeltaPlus said:
Having a very cool avatar doesn't always equate to having a great VB.

Avatars is only one aspect that makes an UTAU unique. Desigining one really is a personal preference. Whether it will be a kickass one, a cute one, a bishie one, or totally-out-of-this-world one, how it's gonna look is one's own decision.

and i'm agree with this too cause it suposed that an UTAU have to be an Original thing c: in regard of the voice and the image (personality, history and that stuff) right?

Masa

Teto's Territory
I guess in the UTAU fandom it's pretty important for them to be anime-styled, since that's the most appealing to most people in this fandom. However, having something different is good for a change! For example, Taumaturgo grabbed my attention the second I saw him.

I think in general, whether it's the design itself or the colour arrangement, as long as it stands out, people would want to check your UTAU out.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think that both art and voice are important (but that's because I love art as much as music so well... ).... For some people, it can also be a way to attract users and catch their attention to get more promo'

And as many said, a good picture doesn't mean a good voice, like a bad art cannot mean the UTAUloid has an horrible voice... It's like baking (I know random example, but I cannot help to think about it as it kinda works the same way), you can have the most beautiful cake ever tasting terribly, like you can get another one looking totally weird or messed up but having an amazing taste, and sometimes both good or both bad...

However it did happend once with a random UTAU looking bitter and dull, averagely-drawn and which the voice is, despite updates, still kinda poor... But well, exceptions happen ._.

Cheezy Kim

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
MillyAqualine said:
I think that both art and voice are important (but that's because I love art as much as music so well... ).... For some people, it can also be a way to attract users and catch their attention to get more promo'

And as many said, a good picture doesn't mean a good voice, like a bad art cannot mean the UTAUloid has an horrible voice... It's like baking (I know random example, but I cannot help to think about it as it kinda works the same way), you can have the most beautiful cake ever tasting terribly, like you can get another one looking totally weird or messed up but having an amazing taste, and sometimes both good or both bad...

However it did happend once with a random UTAU looking bitter and dull, averagely-drawn and which the voice is, despite updates, still kinda poor... But well, exceptions happen ._.

omg MillyAqualine * throws on the floor and starts rolling *
I loved the metaphor of the cake xD btw is so true
oh god i don't know what to say
i think i will have to draw the best utau evah ..and it will be so cagüai ..and i will have to put a lot of effort in the recordings

insanemollum

Momo's Minion
there is Tree and Eert (Eert is just Tree backwards, and is in colour negativeXD)
there's Inuhebi the doggy-snake, as has been said :3
when you think of Tei Sukone, she has probably the most unoriginal design of all the UTAU's, but it's funny, cuz she's a troll ^^
heck, you could make an UTAU wearing absolutely NOTHING! XD

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
An image of an UTAU character is okay, as long as it is not the recolours of Vocaloids, although I prefer UTAU character design with uniqueness and originality. Some people even prefer UTAU designs that matches with the UTAU's voice as well.