What is usually favoured in a voicebank demo/release?

trinkhk

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I’m just wondering about what people would prefer in a voicebank introduction. Would it be more helpful if the target utau would cover songs with more variety, or songs that would fit them/it the most? How long would you like the demo to be?

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think songs that can show off their best features are most desirable. Usually I'd expect a demo to be a short version of a song that was, say, 4 or 5 minutes long. That way, you can spend more time fine tuning and whatnot since the amount of work is cut in half, and a good taste of the upcoming voicebank/Utau will leave people eagerly wanting more(and would be good for people with shorter attention spans). In addition to that making the demo short also allows for ease considering the progress of the bank(like some pitches not being oto'd yet or smth of the sort).

Finally, going to what I said at the very top, demo songs should be suitable for the bank(like a gentle song for a soft voicebank) and should be able to bring out the Utau's best vocal features. Like if the voicebank has good breaths and end breaths, find a song suitable for that. If the Utau has vocal fries, find a song where you can easily and comfortably fit those in. It also helps to find a song that accentuates the Utau's voice type, one that brings out the appeal. When you think about it, it's really a good idea to go all-out for a demo since it's like a first impression.

Whoo I said a lot out of nowhere but I hope that was helpful ^^

Now let's see if I can follow my own advice...
[doublepost=1511860973][/doublepost]OH also it might be a good idea to not cover a super popular song at the moment (like Darling) for a few reasons. One, over saturation (as in too many people covering a certain song). That can take away from appeal. Another factor is that when a song is covered so many times, people are sure to have their favorite versions, and thus your demo using said song can easily fall short of their expectations. (Also people tend to prefer the version they've heard first/the most). So choosing less popular songs can lead to a good impression and the chances of being overshadowed by another cover lessen! :smile:

(Just some good for thought)

Edit: Oh dang I forgot about release songs. Well, the same things I mentioned generally apply, except in this case it's better to do the full version of a song, and to really go all-out with that.

Last edited: