What makes mixing unique to an individual..?

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
Like, several times I've seen comments that say they can tell when a certain P mixes something. I know the obvious basics of mixing; compression, equalization, peak filtering, timing. But how would someone distinguish someones mixing style from another? I usually just mix how I feel suits the song. Is it the way someone uses effects or something..? XD;

Jpegurl

Teto's Territory
I'd say it's probably the effects added, and sometimes vocal volume. Like, a certain P could be known for using XXX effect and having their vocals just barely audible, and another could be known for using TTT effect and having their vocals just a bit too loud.

But beyond that, I have no idea. xD

glaciachan

Teto's Territory
In my opinion, it's what kind of effects they use and how they use them that makes a mix sound unique/characteristic to the mixer. For example, reverb. Some people may have a tendency to use reverb with a high room size, while others may not and opt to use a delay instead. Or, some people may like to use FX that isn't meant for vocals, per se, to achieve a certain effect. There are other elements, as well, including how much the vocals are compressed, whether extra bits not present in the original song are added, etc. Of course, this is all things I've observed in studying others' mixing, and I could be incorrect on some aspects.

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
@Jpejurl oh yeah! I noticed the volume thing, some people do actually pull it off well. But most of the time it peeves me when I can't hear clear vocals.. XD

@glaciachan I always had a thought it was mostly the effects too. When I mix things, it can change randomly depending on the song, most times I use no effects at all. There is many effects I've never touched at all like chorus, but i've heard some people use it really well too.

This has been on my mind for some time though, it's weird to me how people can tell who mixed something just by listening to it. XD But it's interesting, and I really want to try having a signature mixing style too  :smile: