What makes you like an UTAU?

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
What makes you like an UTAU?
Maybe list things about voice type, character design, oto, recording style, microphone, etc. :smile:
And what do you think is the most important? Voice or character?

I personally think both are prettyyyy important, which is probably bad since this is a singing synthesizer that we're talking about. But I think the voice is more important ouo
if the voice is really good, then a bad design is fine with me. ouo

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For me what makes me like an UTAU is its quality and ease of usage. Voice type does play a part in how much I would like it. I like voice types that have a certain uniqueness to it. Like if you heard it among a crowd of different UTAU you can instantly recognize it and be like "Oh hey! It's so-and-so!" Character design has to not be a recolor of course, but I tend to prefer darker looking designs. The sound quality plays a huge role, I like UTAUs that sound more humanish and not metallic. I also prefer strong sounding voices because for some reason they're easier for me to work with. I also love love love deep male voices! But that just me ^^;;;

I still have the voice>character way of thinking because I work with voice more than character ;;; An UTAU can have the most wonderful personality, backstory, etc ever but I wouldn't like it if it was metallic sounding with bad otos ;;;;

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I agree with you! ouo
And omg them deep male voices
they are so fjdk;jfda;kfjd;sjssad

Unique voices are pretty much a must. But if the oto and sound quality is AMAZING, I would be okay with using a sort of average voice.

Oh also
accents
if there is a really strong accent to an UTAU I might not use it.
But there are some accents that sound pretty good too... ;u;

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i am a very biased person with certain things hah

The two things that make me flip out over a voice and want to use it a lot:
-Very strong voice (nasal or rock type)
and
-VCV (well done only of course, there are lots of banks that would probably sound good if their otos weren't awful nightmares that I don't want to bother fixing)

There are always exceptions, I like some soft voices a lot and some CV banks, but for the most part my favorite favorite favorite banks are strong VCV banks. Though quality of voicebank is a given, so recording style and mics are a slight influence in getting good quality recordings.

I don't care about design at all really. I like it if there's something very unique about it (TATARI gets an A+++), but that doesn't affect my usage whatsoever. If the design is cruddy but the voice is great, who cares. It's really about voice for me.

like i use hakupo way way way too much and plan to use him for almost everything
even if he was a goat utau or something wierd or ms paint
i wouldn't care because dayum that voice

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Yeah. c:
Hmm i feel kind of bad for caring about designs
i should probably stop that
the voice is a lot more important afterall

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hey, don't feel bad. It probably depends a lot on what you do more in the fandom. If you're an artsy person who draws a lot with UTAU moreso, then it makes plenty of sense that you'd be attracted to designs that you'd prefer to illustrate.

I'm a person who is really bad at getting any artwork done and I really like the PVs to songs and use them frequently, so art isn't as big of a thing to me. I make lots of USTs and am in it for the fun of the program, less so for the community (because I'm bad with staying commited on social sites orz). Then it makes sense that design isn't as big of a factor for me if I'm going for certain voice types for certain songs.

So yeah, as long as it isn't your only point in liking a bank, it's fine to have designs as a small deciding factor.

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
I usually like something well rounded, like you'd want in a person~
At least decent oto/pronunciation/micquality, at least decent design, and hopefully non weaboo-ish character info
i mean if the oto is really good and the mic isn't all that great, it balances out
Once you have something that sounds like horrible engrish, it's slurry/choppy as chiz, and the design looks like someone frankensteined and recolored, then it's a nono

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
1.Originality
2.Clarity of voice
3.Accent
4.How you present your utauloid

Ryuuoh DeltaPlus

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I'm what can be called a casual UTAU user, so I really tend to immediately like UTAUs for a few reasons...
The voice is really the first thing that's gonna catch my attention... I tend to like mature female voices, soft female voices,and deep male voices. VCV UTAUs, if well oto-ed, are definitely my faves (i.e. Samura Tomi).
Design is a somewhat additional factor for me to get interested in an UTAU actually...

smeen

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
1. The reaction of my ears when I hear the voice.

And that's about it.

Rav3nBloss0m

Momo's Minion
Strong female voices are my favourites, but others are fine. CV/VCV doesn't really matter, but I'd rather have a mixed bank that can do both.

And I know I shouldn't care about designs, but really ugly designs make me scared to listen to the voice, so. As long as it doesn't look like a 5 year old on sugar drew it, it's fine.

I'm not too picky. :smile:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well usually if I'm looking at a new UTAU, it's because it's a friend's UTAU or because people have talked about it, but other things are the name of it and the type of voicebank. If it's a CVVC english voicebank I'll check it out and stuff.

Once I have the thing, it depends on how easy it is to use and what it sounds like and all that other stuff. But there's one pretty horrible UTAU that I like, Habu Jozo. Mispronunciations and stuff. But it's a friend's UTAU, also because I like the voice a lot and the design is pretty cute. So I'll go through the extra trouble of putting samples together.

The voice, the name, the way it's used so far, those affect me. Design not so much. Something eye catching is nice, something original and not a recolor. Personality and character, despite being one of the most important parts of my own UTAUs aside from voice, are more of a 'original or not' when looking at others.

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hmm...well for me I love mature female voices and cute lolita voices so I'm more inclined to check those out but I also like mature males. Shotas not so much I'm not a big shonen person aha ;; The voice has to be clear and understandable for me. But at the same time if I REALLY like the voice I can deal with a bit of unclarity. That's voice type wise.

As far as voicebank type goes...ehh. I'm not a huge VCV person. I prefer CV and I'm still learning English CVVC but I like that too.

In the design department...a nice color scheme specifically anything with purple. /fave color Neon colors...as long as there is something that balances them out okay but neon really bothers me.

But ya know...an original design that doesn't make me think "Oh this looks like so and so..." is good. Specifically, I love frills on girls lol Frills and cute boots and ribbons. /)\\\(\ MACne Nana and Puchi's 2S designs...love. On boys I'm not really picky as long as the design looks comfortable (I mean I want the girls to look comfortable too don't get me wrong) and nice color choices.
And you know what's also cool...transparency or opaque frills and cloth uwu Fur...fur or fuzzy material is also lovely. Those coats with fur tuffs on them? Yeeeaah~ /dreams

I really don't look too much into personality or character traits -shrug-
Overall a great voice with at least a decent design is what I look for. If both are great? Hell yeah~

Yeah...I'd be lying if I said design doesn't play a part in me checking voices out. But despite my rant it doesn't play as big a part as the voice type.

Olivia

Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Omg Iris, I absolutely love transparent frilly stuff on UTAUs... that always looks so awesome. *u*
You guys all have such good points jajdaslkjffa
Anywhosiesss
I hope people can use this thread for a few pointers when they are making their own UTAU.... c: Unless they don't want to have a likeable UTAU. Which is okay I suppose, perhaps it is a troll they are making who knows

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
When I look for an utau, the first thing that catches my eye is the person's use of his/her voice. I mean, the utau can have a totally whack mic and terrible, weeaboo-ey art, but if you can use it to the point where it's amazing, then it catches my attention.

But if I had to summarize, I'd like :
1. A voice that isn't similar to a 4 year old little girl/boy's.
2. A Human-ish sound. Preferably a strong one.
3. Appends/the like. (Like seriously. I have a difficult time fitting voices to covers sometimes because the song starts soft then becomes too overpowering for a soft voice. Kire/Sweet/Dark/etc. appends are always welcome.)
4. A decent oto.

So yeah