what mic did you use to record your UTAU

rainbowpawa

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
hi!!

so im desperate in making my UTAU a high quality one, but i just cant tell what mic to use :/

what do you guys use?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I wouldn't consider my UTAU samples to be extremely high quality, since a lot of other factors go into making the end result sound good.

But I use a Blue Snowball, which I put inside of a box lined with a blanket so that there's no reverb from the walls. I'm usually too lazy to use my pop filter, since OREMO has a feature that automatically fixes DC offset and because I pay some attention to my plosive aspiration.

Mako

"it"
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For the voicebanks that I have already put up for download, I used a Rock Band USB microphone that came with the game "Rock Band"~ It had an okay quality, but it was a constant struggle between either having your samples become too quiet, but clear, or at an normal level, but with a lot of pops and unwanted noise.

Last Christmas I got a Samson Go mic and it's really good for it's small size and price (40 euros = 44-something dollars), the only downside is that a pop filter is a must if you're planning on recording UTAUs, especially when the mic is right in front of your mouth. o3o

Xuu

Ask me about Synthesizer V
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Personally, I recommend a Blue Yeti, as they're probably the best microphone you can get without going in to the ~$1000 range or something. For released banks so far I've used a Blue Snowball, and that can also produce good results at half the price// The Yeti has more options though.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've heard people recommend Audio Technica USB microphones over the Blue Yeti though, since it gives a flatter frequency response. The Yeti has different modes, so it wouldn't be worth it if you only ever use one mode...

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I already posted how I felt about the Blue Yeti vs AT2020USB previously so I will just link to that. (TL;DR: I don't like it)

The above being said I would recommend against the Blue Yeti unless you absolutely need the extra recording modes (Figure 8, Omnidirectional, etc.). If you absolutely must get a Blue microphone get the Blue Nessie ($80). Not only is it cheaper than the Yeti, vis a vis, when it comes to straight up cardoid recording (the most common pickup pattern, the one you will be using for UTAU) it beats the Yeti hands down.

Below are the mics that I consider to be the best at their respective price-points. Don't buy they outside of the listed price ranges, you will be overpaying.
Audio-Technica ATR2500 USB Microphone ($50-70)
MXL 006 USB Condenser Microphone ($70-100)
Monoprice USB Condenser Microphone (<$100) *note*
MXL 008 USB Condenser Microphone ($100-130)
Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Microphone (<$130)

Below the $50 territory you start entering the Rockband mic range and I recommend against making any significant investments in this price range and instead saving your money. Above the $130 price range you start seeing significant diminishing returns, the selection of USB mics decreases, and you are better off going with an Analog Mic+Digital Interface route, rather than buying a USB mic.

Example: At $140 you can get a Blue Icicle ($35-40) audio interface and an analog Audio-Technica AT2020 ($85-$100, analog) for just $10 more than its USB counterpart. Advantage of getting USB and microphone elements separately being you can update them separately as needed, can have multiple analog mics, get access to the healthy used analog mic marketplace, and gain access to a wider selection of analog microphones.

Caveat: While I used the analog AT2020 in my example, if I had to choose between $100 condenser microphones I would have gone with the Behringer B-1 ($100, analog) or a used, normally more expensive analog microphone. Also in order to cut on costs I purposely excluded the cost of a 3" or 6" foot patch cable. While AT2020/B-1 + Blue Icicle would work without it I recommend against running it in that configuration. Get a 3-foot or 6-foot Balanced/Shielded XLR cable for <$8.

* - Note: The Monoprice USB Condenser Mic is basically a MXL770 ($85, analog) with a built in audio interface and without the hard case+shockmount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xuu

Anonymous62034

Teto's Territory
I used an Audio Technica 2500. They're usually 100 dollars, but now they're apparently $79.99, which is pretty good! However, I got mine on Christmas from Amazon about $50? So if you're willing to wait it can save your wallet a bit more XD. The quality is pretty good for a USB mic. Here's a demo of a softer bank I recorded with it, and here's a demo with a powerful, yelling bank. It can record a lot of tones pretty nicely, I think. I've also heard the Blue Yeti's pretty good, too. Another thing to make your banks sound more high quality is too equalize your samples (which I don't do orz). Also, even if your mic isn't too great, as long as you record somewhere without background noise, your samples should sound a lot better. I think Audacity can remove background noise as well? If you want to buy a mic, though, I'd get the AT-2500.

RockloudHakaine

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i use a at2005 and i think it is really good and i like it, but some say that dynamic microphones are horrible in utau. im happy with the results and a sample of one of my utaus recorded on it is here. when i bought it on amazon it was only $50, and right now is $64.99.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Most low quality/cheap mics all sound the same.
If need something somewhat ....reasonable ....get an mxl 008 and a pop filter, etc.....better than nothing.

The at2020usb went up in price and isn't that great for the
The blue yeti sounds the same as the snowball...just more switches.

The atr2500....is $80...but even that is too much considering the build quality issues.

etherealfrost

Teto's Territory
Be careful about getting too caught up in mics! While there is definitely a difference between mics, in the end, without a preamp, they are all limited to your computer's capability. Investing too much in an expensive microphone without a preamp will likely be a disappointment!

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yep. The Audio-Technica products are all priced $20 higher than I am comfortable recommending them at on Amazon ATM.

ATR2500 should be $80 and the AT2020 should be $110 tops. Which is why a majority of my recommendations switched to MXL products.

With the AT2020 @ $130 that puts it in the same price bracket as the MXL 008 USB and between the two the MXL 008 is the superior mic. It has a 32mm capsule compared to the AT2020's 22mm capsule and the larger capsule means better sound and greater frequency response.

I remember when the ATR2500 used to go for $45-55, $80 on Amazon is a bit much for what is essentially a device that finds itself somewhere between a Snowball & Nessie-tiered device. I have always recommended the ATR2500 in past, mainy because its price:performance ratio was excellent but at $80 it is essentially the same price as a Nessie and given the choice between the two I would choose the Nessie (or MXL 006).

Past the $130 range, options open up and some combination of Blue Icicle plus Behringer B1, AT2035 (the AT2020's big brother), or used Rode NTA1 become a possibility. Really once you go the audio interface + analog route your options are endless, USB mics seem like toys in comparison. Its a SIGNIFICANT investment of course, might be overkill merely for UTAU but if you plan on doing other things (singing, voiceover, podcasts, whatever) or you just like your hobby and want to invest more in it then it can definitely be worth looking into.

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
Ehehe... I have a blue yeti and a pop filter, along with a homemade super-ghetto soundbooth that all probably added up to $120 total. It suits my needs thought it's certainly not the best mic out there, but I like its ease of use.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For the love of god, don't use dynamic mics.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A friend of mine occasionally uses dynamic microphones because he prefers the sound of his voice on them when recording shout pitches.

iUta

Teto's Territory
I use a blue snowball and a pop filter.
Personally, I think the snowball is a good mic. The only problems I've encountered with it in utau is that my utau sounds slurry sometimes (but it could also be an oto or recording software issue), but other than that, she sounds clear.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The snowball sounds about the same as the mic in most cheap USB headsets and even modern cellphones.

I wouldn't recommend them for that reason.
----------
IMO, the At2020 has a thinner diaphragm, which technically should give it the same/similar response to that with. Somewhat larger one.
The Nessie is in an awkward price range unfortunately, and past Quality issues make me less that likely to recommend it.

The argument to get a more expensive mic with and xlr interface is out there, but not within the budget of most UTAU users/hobbyists.
A Blue Icicle is a cheap XLR interface...It's cheap for a reason.
And used mics can be hard to find, or not trustworthy.

I use an AT2035 and I will say, It's not that amazing, It's still a cheaper mic and all I gained from the AT2020 was a few useless switches.
XLR does NOT equal better, a cheap mic is still a cheap mic. Because you have more selection, means there is more bad options amongst it. So do your research and pick a mic that people, with a voice similar to yours, like.

The MXL 008 is a good mic for the cost, you will need a cheap pop filter ($5) and might want to get a better stand and a cheapish...but decent...shockmount.
But It'll still be a good price.

Don't limit yourself to Amazon. B&H has the at2020usb for $99 and the mxl 008 for $110...both free shipping.
With either option, get a better stand, pop filter, and shockmount.
----------
I will politely disagree with Uchuu, the Yeti is cheap, plastic garbage. And there are simply too many options to say that it's better that it better than mics up to $1000 "or something".

I may not know everything and my suggestions may not be the end all and be all, but I think twice and do at least some deeper digging before blindly recommending something based on other people's word. People suggest bad products based on other's suggestions of said bad product, even with blatant flaws, simply because it's easier.
----------
-Jey Out
----------
Yes, I'm the kind of douche to call someone out and then talk out their butt. My butt is jealous of what's coming out of my mouth.

Last edited:

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The argument to get a more expensive mic with and xlr interface is out there, but not within the budget of most UTAU users/hobbyists.
A Blue Icicle is a cheap XLR interface...It's cheap for a reason..

Its 'cheap' but it is not bad. Most 'good' interfaces cost more than many people's microphones and frankly they include many features that most UTAU users will ever need (Instrument In, Multi-Channel, MIDI, etc.). Reading the RecordingHacks.com Review of the Blue Icicle and other similar form factor devices the Icicle was noiser, but sports the best price performance ratio in the industry.

If you want a low cost Interface with a bit better of a Mic Preamp the Behringer UM2 Audio Interface ($50, interface) is an option. The Behringer's XENYX amps aren't as nice as lets say the Focusrite Solo ($100, interface) but it is an improvement over the Icicle and half the price of its counterpart. The best part about using analog is there is no reason you can't start with a Blue Icicle, sell it, and upgrade down the road as your needs grow. You can keep your mic and replace the interface separately or vise versa. No need to start with top of the line gear from the get-go.

Also I think when J says 'cheaper' I think its important to put things into perspective. It is very easy to spend upwards of $3,000 for a microphone. Compared to professional-grade gear anything 'enthusiast'-grade ($150-300) will sound cheaper. For most UTAU related applications, even though we call the Yeti bad (it is) once your budget reaches around $100 you should be fine (get the 008 if you can) and the interface/mic combos we are talking about here are luxuries for the very serious, or people who use their mics for non-UTAU things as well.

Past that point you have severe diminishing returns from something that is going to be limited by UTAU's sample sizes/rates and later mangled by a resampler anyways. Your #1 goal when recording for UTAU should be to make as clean of a sample as possible. Three things contribute to 'clean' samples:
  • Your Microphone
  • Your Interface
  • Your Environment
In the case of USB microphones they have their interfaces built in. As long as your microphone & interface are noise free it should be 'good enough' for UTAU. I would argue moreso than any interface or mic the most important part of recording an UTAU is your environment. Dampen the walls, use a popfilter, record at night or at a friends house. The #1 thing you can do to improve your UTAU without spending too much money is improving your environment. This could be anything from recording in your closet, singing into a tub full of socks, but the lowest cost, highest return way to improve your UTAU is to improve your environment.

Last edited: