What sounds you would like in a VB?

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hello, I'm curious about this since I started to think in the idea to mmake an easy and good voicebank for people.

I don't know you guys, but if the vbs came with "Kan", "Ken", "Kon", "Kun" and "Kin" sounds I would be very happy! Sometimes it's hard to use the "n" sound to mix in a good and propper way to make words like "Kanjou" (Especially CVs voicebanks).

So I'm curious, whats sounds you wanted to see/see more in vbs? Different breaths? A different "r" sound?

Anyway, see ya~ ^^

Aeroza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
In case you didn't know, if the "n" note transition doesn't sound smooth enough, you could go to the note properties and make the envelope a bit longer so that the transition would be smoother.

As for what kind of sounds I would like to see more in vbs are the rolling r's. To me, they really sounded nice when put properly.

Reactions: Big_B and Nohkara

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
In case you didn't know, if the "n" note transition doesn't sound smooth enough, you could go to the note properties and make the envelope a bit longer so that the transition would be smoother.

As for what kind of sounds I would like to see more in vbs are the rolling r's. To me, they really sounded nice when put properly.
Cool! I doesn't know that! Usually I just used the overlap and preu values. I will try next time, thx for the tip! ^^

Reactions: Aeroza

zipperworks

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I personally always make sure to record with L, V, and TH sounds for the sake of better English. Rolling Rs would definitely be super cool! Alas, for I cannot personally make those sounds, but it'd be really cool to see in other banks.

Reactions: Krinora and Big_B

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Assuming this is about Japanese voicebanks, you may be interested in this post, which discusses standard and non-standard Japanese syllables. https://utaforum.net/resources/what-to-look-for-in-a-japanese-reclist-and-what-to-avoid.170/

As for my personal preferences, I have written two main CVVC reclists for Japanese + Extras.

One is sunetoha, which strictly obeys Japanese phonotactics while going "overkill" on extras that appear in expressive Japanese pronunciation. There are 4 variants of ん corresponding to the sound assimilation rules prior to other consonants. There are nasal vowels for the earlier discussed situation where ん sounds like it's part of the previous syllable and not a syllable on its own. There are devoiced い and う and consonant releases for all voiceless consonants, for situations like です/ます. There's "ng" samples, which is a variant pronunciation of "g" samples. There's full VCV for all h/hy/f samples. This is all in addition to standard Japanese CVVC features, such as the distinction between palatalized and non-palatalized consonants and [n C] transitions.

The other is Swordheart Offline, which I actually use regularly. Most of the extras in this case are aimed at enhancing English capabilities, which saves me the effort of having to record a separate English voicebank. It doesn't do English as well as a dedicated voicebank would, but it gets me most of the way there and I find it fun to use.
Like sunetoha, it includes standard Japanese CVVC features and 4 variants of ん. It includes one extra vowel (the schwa) paired with every consonant. There are consonant releases for all of the consonants as well as end-breaths. There's a supplemental list for all English CC transitions. There's full VCV for h and hy. The extra, non-Japanese consonants are ng, zh, dz, English F, l, English R, v, voiceless th, and voiced th (written as dh). These and all standard consonants are matched up to every vowel instead of obeying phonotactic limitations, meaning that, for example, there's a full set of tsa tsi tsu tse tso ts@ instead of only having a tsu.

Reactions: Aeroza and Big_B