What To Look For In A CVVC JP Reclist?

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
Hey! I've posted here before asking about CVVC and VCV, and I have decided to record a CVVC Japanese bank for my UTAU.

Now, in my experience, choosing a good reclist is key. Thing is, I have no idea what constitutes a "good" CVVC reclist. I know that I'm going to want a base oto, but that's about it.

Could any of you give me pointer/suggestions on how to choose this kind of reclist?

(I'm very sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. I know there's a resource on what to avoid in Japanese reclists, but my questions aren't really answered there. ^^; )

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
For me, that includes:
  • Starting CV (optional tbh but it's super nice to have)
  • Actual transitional VC (a.k.a. you record 'kaka' not 'kak')
  • Normal CV
  • Vowel+n strings
Giraffey's list says 'kak', but then it gives ou an ending VC as if you were recording English.. Japanese mainly only uses transitional VC's, except for rare cases when they shorten 'su' and 'tsu' (i might be missing something).. The way you oto is up to you :P

Reactions: PrinceofHades

PrinceofHades

A wandering soul
Defender of Defoko
For me, that includes:
  • Starting CV (optional tbh but it's super nice to have)
  • Actual transitional VC (a.k.a. you record 'kaka' not 'kak')
  • Normal CV
  • Vowel+n strings
Giraffey's list says 'kak', but then it gives ou an ending VC as if you were recording English.. Japanese mainly only uses transitional VC's, except for rare cases when they shorten 'su' and 'tsu' (i might be missing something).. The way you oto is up to you :P

Thank you! Those are what I thought would be good, but despite not being a total noob, I'm still uneducated when it comes to reclists. ^^;
Do you know of a reclist that would have that? There are... not a lot of CVVC Japanese reclists? Or at least that's what it feels like. OTL

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My friends and I usually just go with writing our own CVVC reclists...

In addition to what's already mentioned, you should check for "yi" and "wu" samples - These are redundant, a better reclist has "a-bi" for "a by" rather than "bya-byi".
If you're going for efficiency, you can do a reclist with long strings (such as "kakikukekoka") because rentan (the usage of starting CV and midphrase CV) isn't entirely necessary. As long as you have standard aliasing it should be compatible with common converters and the like.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm the same as @Adlez27 in that I just write my own reclists. Any good reclist has the following...

- standard mora count that you're capable of doing (I prefer 2 or 3 [depends on the language] mora cause my audio glitches at the drop of a hat, but there are plenty that prefer lists such as his example kakikukekoka)
- all needed transitions, but no superfluous extras (tsa, tsi tsu tse tso - you'll only use tsu as a cv and the others are transitionals; weird things in reclists such as yi, wu, tya, dyu, etc. are entirely unnecessary). To expand on this, @Terindie has a good tutorial about this very topic: http://utaforum.net/resources/what-to-look-for-in-a-japanese-reclist-and-what-to-avoid.170/

CVVC is very easy to make on your own by simply doubling the sounds you already have in a CV reclist and including VV. It literally takes minutes to make.

This is my personal reclist that's basically long strings with each required 2 mora combination.

a_i_u_e_o_n
a_i-a_u-a_e-a_o-a_n
i_a-i_u-i_e-i_o-i_n
u_a-u_i-u_e-u_o-u_n
e_a-e_i-e_u-e_o-e_n
o_a-o_i-o_u-o_e-o_n
n_a-n_i-n_u-n_e-n_o
ka_ka-ki_ki-ku_ku-ke_ke-ko_ko
kya_kyu_kyo_kwa_kwi_kwe_kwo
ga_ga-gi_gi-gu_gu-ge_ge-go_go
gya_gyu_gyo_gwa_gwi_gwe_gwo
sa_sa-si_si-su_su-se_se-so_so