What’s the meaning of the space between the vowel and consonant in V C oto aliasing? + Question about plosive VC oto (English CVVC)

WannabeHistorian604

Teto's Territory
So I’ve been trying to make a CVVC English bank, and I’ve noticed that VC otos are all aliased like “V C” instead of “VC”. Does this have any particular meaning?

Also, when otoing certain plosives like “b” or “g”, according to Delta I should oto them in a unique way so as to not encompass the entire consonant in VC oto, and only the breath before the consonant. But according to a guide by Cz I found later, I’m supposed to include the consonant just like I would for any other non-plosive VC oto. Which is it? Which is more recommended? I’m assuming Cz’s because she’s a native speaker, but Teto’s VB which I’m using as reference uses Delta’s method, and I just want to be sure.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So I’ve been trying to make a CVVC English bank, and I’ve noticed that VC otos are all aliased like “V C” instead of “VC”. Does this have any particular meaning?
Typically, [V C] aliasing implies that it's a transitional note from vowel to consonant, while [VC] implies that the entire consonant is always included. However, the exact notation of aliases is a design decision by the reclist creator, so it's not a fixed rule.

Also, when otoing certain plosives like “b” or “g”, according to Delta I should oto them in a unique way so as to not encompass the entire consonant in VC oto, and only the breath before the consonant. But according to a guide by Cz I found later, I’m supposed to include the consonant just like I would for any other non-plosive VC oto. Which is it? Which is more recommended? I’m assuming Cz’s because she’s a native speaker, but Teto’s VB which I’m using as reference uses Delta’s method, and I just want to be sure.
Delta's method is correct. The method suggested in the VCCV English tutorial is simply meant to speed up the OTOing process by adjusting the base to a roughly functional position. However, when you extend a plosive consonant in normal speech/singing, you are actually extending the silence just before the consonant itself. This should be reflected in the OTO so that you'll be able to adjust consonant length for expressive effect. By having the OTO include the entire second syllable, instead of cutting off early, you run the risk of choppy doubled consonant sounds when you try to extend consonants.

Reactions: Halo

WannabeHistorian604

Teto's Territory
This should be reflected in the OTO so that you'll be able to adjust consonant length for expressive effect
What does this mean?

Thanks! I just thought it was a bit unusual because Cz chose d (or was it b?) specifically to highlight, and it was an advanced tutorial.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'll demonstrate using KYE's english voicebank.

For example, this is [ah t]
1616379092697.png

The primary function of this sample is to capture the way that "ah" fades out when it leads into a "t" consonant.
Normally in a UST the [ah t] note would only be short enough to match the original length of the consonant.
1616379068064.png

However, if you wanted to make the consonant sound longer, you'd extend it backwards like this.
1616379159157.png

When you configure the OTO as in the screenshot above, the extended region will be the silence before the consonant. The actual consonant sound itself is contained in the [t ay] note, but you're just lengthening the transition from the vowel of the previous note.

Reactions: Nohkara

WannabeHistorian604

Teto's Territory
I'll demonstrate using KYE's english voicebank.

For example, this is [ah t]
View attachment 9995

The primary function of this sample is to capture the way that "ah" fades out when it leads into a "t" consonant.
Normally in a UST the [ah t] note would only be short enough to match the original length of the consonant.
View attachment 9994

However, if you wanted to make the consonant sound longer, you'd extend it backwards like this.
View attachment 9996

When you configure the OTO as in the screenshot above, the extended region will be the silence before the consonant. The actual consonant sound itself is contained in the [t ay] note, but you're just lengthening the transition from the vowel of the previous note.
Thanks!
Also, for the CV oto, does the overlap always have to be before the consonant in plosives like b?

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thanks!
Also, for the CV oto, does the overlap always have to be before the consonant in plosives like b?
Yes, the overlap is the section that will be crossfaded into the previous note. If the overlap is placed after the consonant, it will be faded out and you won't be able to hear it clearly.

Reactions: Halo