What's your downloading mentality?

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So I'm going through all my UTAU stuff, & I realize that I really don't use more than half the voicebanks/USTs I've downloaded D: which isn't very good.

My mentality is that when I hear a cool bank I'm like "OO MUST DOWNLOAD HNNNGGGGGG" but then I don't use them lol. I guess my excuse is that "what if I find the perfect song for them to sing latr & don't have them, & then how will I know it's perfect?" but still, that's not good. The day will come when I use all my banks. It will.

USTs are the same. Awesome song = download, even if I might not use that UST until much later, or forget its existence.

So what about you?

Reactions: Olivia091220034

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I download UTAUloids on a strictly quality basis.  I will also download UTAUloids if I've been commissioned to use them for something.

USTs I download if they are really, really good.  Editing a UST is so freaking tedious if it wasn't good to begin with (all of my rage when Myst and I were working on fixing the Ur-Style UST) so I refrain from downloading every other UST just in case.

WhiteRoseMarie

Momo's Minion
On my last laptop ([m]Aria), I had so many voicebanks downloaded but not many usts. I don't know why I had so many other than thinking that eventually I was going to do something with it. . .

Now I only have my friend's voicebanks and my own that I'm working on, but I have so many usts that I don't know where to start! I know that a lot of the songs I'm waiting to get my voice bank out for. . .but at the same time, there's so many and they're still all zipped and staring at me while I'm recording! It's unnerving. . .As for why I don't have other voicebanks, it mainly has to do with me wanting to get mine done with first instead of getting distracted, as I tend to get ;W; Maybe that's why there are so many usts on this laptop. . .

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I only download voicebanks that I'm going to use because the space on my hard drive is <i>very</i> limited. I have less than 5 GB left ||OTL

I tend to download more USTs and it's only for songs I like.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I have over 500 voicebanks and over 150 USTs downloaded currently. I think you can guess what type of person I am. DX

On the note of USTs, I sort of agree with Kenji. I either download USTs if it's really well done or it's a great song. Like, Masao and UtauReizo drive me crazy with how blank their USTs are, but they generally make them for great songs. So I'd have to edit them to death. Which I'm a bit painfully used to now. There's only a few UST makers I really don't feel the need to edit to death (Such as Lean, Chase, Sango, and a handful more people). And I never really download VSQs because they're just blegh all over UTAU.

It doesn't help my computer has nearly 300 GB left so I tell myself I can download whatever I want. I just wish it was faster, orz.

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
^Whenever my hard disk started hovering around/dipped below 300 GB, I worry about running out of space xD

It depends. Usually I'll only download if I want to make a cover (which sucks when the link is taken down) but if it's a really, really awesome voice I'll give it a shot.

So far the only voice I don't have a plan to use yet is Sachi Eika, but that's because she didn't sound good in the duet I was going to use her in :/
(Not saying Sachi is bad. She just didn't blend well with the other voice.)

As for UST's, I usually download UST's (or VSQ's, if that's the only thing available) if I like the song because I figure I can match an UTAU to it later. I have so many unused UST's EVERYWHERE! =u=;;

willowispembers

Ruko's Ruffians
Generally when I download USTs it's because I'm looking specifically for that song. For UTAU however, I'll download them if I like their voice/general concept, but at the same time sometimes I don't use some of the voicebanks I download since I have trouble finding a good song for them. ^^; Or sometimes I'll mix something with them and never upload it since I'm not happy with how it turns out, etc. orz

scarfu

Teto's Territory
I actually only download UTAU when I need them... XD Like I don't DL UTAU unless I specifically need them for a chorus or a project.

Dorielf

Momo's Minion
When I first started using UTAU, I downloaded the voicebank of everyone who talked to me so I could try them out. That was really the only way I knew how to find banks; to go "ooh, link in signature!" *click*

Now if I see an Utauloid with a design I like, I'll browse Youtube to see how they sound, and download if I like them. I really haven't used any of them yet though. ;_; Except for a couple for projects.

I only download USTs of songs I like. :3

K

khisui

I have maybe 10 voicebanks and a half of them I don't even need /o/ I'm pretty shelfish? :]

roseraie

Momo's Minion
whenever i see a UTAUloid i like im all like "ME GUSTA /le downloads" xD
i download every .UST i see. u___u

xD im so hopeless.

Misha

Momo's Minion
I download UTAU when i need them for a chorus or something. Or if I like them a WHOLE lot.

USTS I DL with reckless abandon x )

Dark3li

Teto's Territory
I usually download an utau if I need it (almost always) or if I like it, there are a lot of utaus that I like but that I haven't downloaded because of my lazyness (?) x,D
I download a ust if I like the song too much >< I've made my utau sing a lot of songs but I don't have time enough to draw a pic for each video ;A;

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
I'm downloading every UST I see and to which the song sounds nice even though I never listened to it before but mostly I'm using only the ones which fit to my UTAUs -> hopeless DX /over 200 USTs orz

I have around 50 voicebanks but I'm not using them constantly, mostly when I release a UST or doing a chorus

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I download UTAU that I really really like, but I'm rather picky with voices so I feel as though I don't have as many as others probably do...?

But as for USTs, except for in special cases I've all but stopped downloading them, since I've been trying to focus on making my own... I have too many in progress as it is... OTL

Asteriski

Teto's Territory
"Hnnnnng, I waste too much disk space."
... *downloads anyways*

I always tell myself Ill use them eventually, but then I don't. OTL I need to clear out my voicebank and UST folders.

Yue Nagareboshi

Senior Tutor
Senior Tutor
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I lost many of my VBs due a mistake, so I am redownloading.

I get VIPPERS, Friends UTAULOIDS, and voices I like by their originality without worrying about "fandom" grudges. What I mean by this? Some people really criticize users of ANIMALOIDs, yet I love Mine Laru, Giga Lacan, Hoyurine Won, etc... Their voices are amazing!

Yet some voicebanks break my rules.... mostly with cases related with the voicers. Even if I get said some are HQ I won't put my fingers on them.

On the ust area.... I download them all and I have them organized by folders with the maker name on it, so I have the reference of their job. Most of the time I open them, remove the instrumental, and keep only the ust and read me files.

An exception was "I without Eyes" ust... which the offvocal was removed, and "Blue Bird" from IdolM@sters.

Astral-Arts

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh, god. xD I'm going to feel like the biggest selfish loser posting here.

I download a voice that I really like, or I think has really nice quality, but I usually never get around using them because I'm too focused on finding the song that is absolutely perfect for their voice. Which usually doesn't happen very often DX

On UST's I tend to download like a speed demon. I'll download any ust pretty much right off the bat as long as the timing is good, and it isn't too plain. The only UST's I usually avoid downloading are the ones that have a bazillion parts like Yurahonya's stuff (unless I REALLY like the song, then I might consider it. I Dl'd someone's "One who falls at the name of god" ust and I litterally wanted to cry. But Kaoling is my love, so I'm still doing it) And my other peeve is ust's with vibrato on literally every note. So I generally avoid Nmasao's usts, I'll go looking to see if there is another one of the same song before I get his stuff.

PandaLolii

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Rave link said:
I Dl'd someone's \"One who falls at the name of god\" ust and I litterally wanted to cry. But Kaoling is my love, so I'm still doing it

It's Aster's btw! * V * But on her defense...Kaoling songs like..always have millions of parts. XDD

--
For UTAU, I usually DL them when I need them. u v u But for updates for UTAU I already have, I tend to get instantly...or uh, Romaji VCV. Yep. Otherwise, I'm actually hesitant. I have this fear that everything is Hiragana and DLing is just a waste of space + bandwidth. ;A; Though I do judge by how clear and tone of voice~ Though honestly, I never get a chance to use them all. Or even half...

USTs I tend to DL on the spot if I like it/the song and it's relatively good for timing ( I edit regardless so..I honestly don't care if their ust has bends or not...more likely to if it does though) because USTS are loosing links and I don't want to be "AW MAN SHOULD'VE DLED WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE." /shot/ Ahhh I feel bad. Q A Q

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
*doesn't have many UTAUs or USTS, because is new*

So...um, I only download UTAUs that sound nice, or if I need to make a cover with them, like the Random UTAU Cover Project.
About USTs, I don't download much. XD I once download Under The Fragments (I think by seleP??), but never used it. Never even heard of the song, so....yeah.

I feel so horrible because I haven't even used UTAU that much. ;_;