What's your personal preference for an English/non jp VB?

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
oh god i post here more than anyone ANYWAY
Once the release of Fresa's CV JP Bank...happens, I'm wanting to try and make an English (then Spanish after, if I'm not dead.)
I was wondering though, what do all of you prefer to record in!
Do you like CV VC? VC CV? Arpasing? Or anything else I don't know ANYTHING about? I just feel like it would help me find the best to use.

[Also, some questions about the few, How do you input lyrics to any of these? Is there a plugin? Also for VCCV, Is there any way to convert a CVVC UST into one for VCCV?]
Currently, It seems people prefer VCCV, Which seems to be the direction I might head in!

Fif

Macne Nana Stan
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I like arpasing but I know alot of people like vccv, I've heard arpasing is ALOT easier to record than vccv but I still find it hard

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
I heard that arpasing was a thing, but had no idea where to find things for it

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
I also was worrying about CVVC this whole time, found a rundown of the phonemes and it seemed a lot easier, I'm assuming that VCCV has the same stuff!

Fif

Macne Nana Stan
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I also was worrying about CVVC this whole time, found a rundown of the phonemes and it seemed a lot easier, I'm assuming that VCCV has the same stuff!
I think cvvc is outdated and there are not too many usts out for and paintedcz's cvvc english reclist (although there are others) is no longer available so I would highly recommend arpasing or vccv but, whatever works for you

P

partial

Everyone probably knows this already, but for me, my favorite is VCCV hands down. It's simple to record, easy to use, and even though you have to oto it yourself you have concise guides to it all at your fingertips. I have yet to change my opinion about this, even while I do see the benefits of arpasing.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Since Fifties has already linked the Arpasing website, here's the video tutorial series for VCCV English.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzZkaoYVGHv0CpLpJ5j0M2U_t2eAiV_PA
CVVC English commonly refers to PaintedCZ's previous English project, which you only need to know about if you intend to use older voicebanks.

Another option for English would be Delta's reclist, which is primarily aimed at the Japanese-speaking community. (Hence, all of the articles are written in Japanese.) You may prefer it if you're already familiar with X-SAMPA, which Vocaloid's phonetic system is based off. This is also the style of English that Kasane Teto uses.
Reclist: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/delta_kimigatame/blomaga/ar761052 (I recommend version 5)
OTOing: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/delta_kimigatame/blomaga/ar761114
Voicebank usage: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/delta_kimigatame/blomaga/ar764836

There's a multitude of English reclist projects for UTAU out there, but these are just a few of the main contenders. I'm an advocate for Arpasing. While it might be quite troublesome to work with all the various tools involved, there is still overall less recording, less OTOing, and less USTing than VCCV. If you put a lot of heart into doing every step of the way the best you can, you can get results that sound absolutely fantastic. (See WinterdrivE's KYE for what I mean.) Additionally, you can also do easy rough conversions of VCCV USTs to Arpasing format! (Of course, if you want to use VCCV USTs with absolutely no additional work involved, then it's definitely in your favor to make a VCCV bank instead.)

Reactions: partial and Nohkara

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Personally, I am a vccv advocate, as imo its easy to use, and I'm not thr biggest fan of arpasing since I just can't get myself to proprrly use it lel. As for cvvc, nevrr used it so I can't really say much about it.

Reactions: partial

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
Woosh, VCCV It is then! Also Teto's is kinda...ehhh, I heard you need a plugin for her?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Also Teto's is kinda...ehhh, I heard you need a plugin for her?

Not necessarily, she's still very usable manually. Seasoned Teto users actually combine her English and Japanese together, since she has quite a few pronunciation quirks, and mixing samples can also get more variety in tone.

Regardless of which english method you choose, there will always be a lot of manual editing. The availability of plugins just makes that process a little faster. Even though VCCV has widespread community support, you don't even have a choice between plugin or no-plugin. You will always have to divide up the notes and type in the phonemes from scratch.

Reactions: Nohkara

ayatonic

emo lord
Defender of Defoko
ive personally only recorded arpasing before.... i have/had plans to try vccv one day, but i can't speak on experience for it yet ^_^'
as for arpasing,, recording took a long time for me... but its supposedly a lot shorter than vccv.
i like arpasing because i'm lazy :,) but vccv has more usts floating around, and apparently is easier to tune and stuff, idek
arpasing is nice though if you can oto it !!

P

partial

ive personally only recorded arpasing before.... i have/had plans to try vccv one day, but i can't speak on experience for it yet ^_^'
as for arpasing,, recording took a long time for me... but its supposedly a lot shorter than vccv.
i like arpasing because i'm lazy :,) but vccv has more usts floating around, and apparently is easier to tune and stuff, idek
arpasing is nice though if you can oto it !!
VCCV is 1066 wav files per bank!

Reactions: ayatonic

someguyperson

i am no longer exist
Defender of Defoko
1066 Sounds like.....a whole lot, but actually possible? I could totally do it! And then get to otoing and die inside oml, not only can i not oto well but i have to horribly oto 1066 wav files...or more..

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Arpasing at its most basic is only 120 recordings, however the trade off is that Arpasing can have upwards of 10-14 oto entries per recording, whereas VCCV generally has 2-4 per recording.

This works out to 2700 lines of OTO for an Arpasing bank, and 3500 lines of OTO for a VCCV bank. Both styles have base OTOs though, so it's just a matter of slight adjustments to perfect the timing.

Reactions: WinterdrivE

ytc person thing

Teto's Territory
Not necessarily, she's still very usable manually. Seasoned Teto users actually combine her English and Japanese together, since she has quite a few pronunciation quirks, and mixing samples can also get more variety in tone.

Regardless of which english method you choose, there will always be a lot of manual editing. The availability of plugins just makes that process a little faster. Even though VCCV has widespread community support, you don't even have a choice between plugin or no-plugin. You will always have to divide up the notes and type in the phonemes from scratch.
also, ive heard from teto's official twitter that she's getting a new English bank soon. but i don't know if its just in planning, or already done.