Which Mic Should I Buy For My Budget?

chibiveggie

Teto's Territory
Good day,
I am really in need of a new microphone and I have a budget of $75. I know I should expect what I pay for and that I'm not going to get perfect results with that kind of budget, but I was curious which mic would be best.
It would be used primarily for UTAU and I am completely fine with that.
I've heard of a few around that price range, such as the Samson C01U, the Behringer C-1U, and the CAD U37, but I'm not sure which is better.
I also found a few mic tests on Youtube but I'm not sure which one is best. If it makes any difference to which one I should get, I'm got about an alto singing range.
If anyone has any better suggestions for around $75, or can tell me which one out of the ones I listed I should buy, please tell me!
Thanks in advance!

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Usb mic prices are kinda strange in the low-budget range (there being a fairly large gap between $50 to $100)

I suggest the CAD u37 as a good low budget option, for your price range you could technicaly get an Audio-Technica ATR2500 but there really isn't any point since it sounds almost exactly the same.
The Samson is really dead/dull sounding and the CAD is slightly fuller that the Behringer while stil being cheaper.
So just pickup the CAD and a cheap popfilter and you'll be all set.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Hey, I currently use the ATR-2500. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QJREXM/?tag=utau-20
I've knocked it around a little bit, so it's had some small issues regarding pickup of buzzing or bumps, however it's otherwise been prefect for a lower budget mic. I believe I got mine when it was around $50~$60, it's on sale for $70 right now. For the record, I have no plan of upgrading until it stops working. the quality is perfectly fine for UTAU at current, and sits just fine into "HQ" for voicebank standards. Unless you do music production or have some other use for mics, this range is usually fine. The CAD u37 looks just fine, too, so I'll back Acoustic up on that one. If you can find another UTAU user who uses that mic that's always great, because sometimes mics can tend towards resampler quirks or waveform visibility during otoing and its good to know about those.

Small issues though, good luck finding a mic!

Dekpi

Defender of Defoko
Haha I had a low budget too and ended up saving for the CADu37 myself because of recommendations from others on here, and it works great. I got mine for like $40 on amazon

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
ATR-2500 is a decent mic but I just can't justify it at its current price. You used to be able to find it as low as $45 but I don't think it is worth it at its current +$70 price point. I would recommend the Behringer C1U but Amazon and most retailers are sold out and all the 3rd parties marked it up a bit.

As for the $75 price point do consider do consider one of these MXL mics MXL Tempo KR ($70), MXL Tempo SK ($75), or MXL USB 006 ($87). I only mention the latter because as with most things on Amazon prices fluctuate and I have seen it as low as $70.