Why do you think CVVC isn't so popular?

P

partial

Personally, I don't understand why everyone makes VCV banks when CVVC has so many less recordings, but still produces smooth results.

What is your take on CVVC, and why do you or do you not use it? Why do you think it is less popular than VCV?

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
People have preferences.

Personally, I don't use CVVC since I don't even know how it works, and it really has no appeal to me.. As you said, it sounds the same as VCV so I don't plan on bothering with it.

Reactions: VocAddict

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
The main complaint from my friends who don't like CVVC is because of how it's choppy on faster tempos/songs with short notes which I agree too and cry about ;v;

Also a personal peeve: converting to and fro from CV and VCV won't change the ust much, but converting from CVVC would cause the pitchbends to screw up ;-;

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
  • Some people like VCV.
  • It's easier to use (both in using a bank and creating an ust).
  • VCV is easier to oto.
  • You get CV, CVVC, and VCV aliases from a VCV reclist versus CV, and CVVC from a CVVC reclist.
There's also the fact that most of the community still believe that VCV is the best recording method out there.

Honestly, it just comes down the preference. I can use both VCV and CVVC but I prefer VCV because I like it more and I'm more comfortable with it.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think CVVC is still popular, but remains discret as it isn't as brand new as VCCV and Arpasing are, and that maybe some only record Japanese and thus don't necessarily feel the need to record a CVVC and record a simple CV or a VCV instead since it can work for Japanese

Some were mostly having troubles with the oto ; especially when it comes to avoid slurs or stuttering (to be honest when I started working on Heidi CVVC for Cronic I didn't feel like it was that painful to oto)

And as I said, CVVC not being as shiny and brand new as VCCV or Arpasing, now people in the fandom tend to go more onto these optioons for let's say English or even languages such as Spanish (I've heard about French experiments as well) while forgetting a bit about CVVC banks

Reactions: Nohkara and Piia

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think it's the newest recording method and voicebank type, I mean, vcv has been around for years, a little less than cv, and CVVC is more popular for English, and was made much later than the other banks. There's only a few CVVC utau I know, which is sad, plus there's not much tutorials nor even USTs for it specifically :sad: I don't remember who made vcv, but I heard that the bank was Momo's, and she's an utau mascot, basically. Whoever made CVVC doesn't get that much credit nor do they have a super mega hugely popular utau, so that goes along with it. Most banks are CV and vcv bc that's what was known, and easier (CV)

Just think about the influence of the early utau, and how they branched out a large deal of utau. If one of them, Momo, Teto, had a main CVVC bank, it'd be way more popular, I'm sure.

P

partial

Maybe I'm just salty because I can't record a 100% smooth VCV bank. Lol.

Kale

Leaf god
Defender of Defoko
AHH I LOVE CVVC like idk why no one uses it...
I think its because it messes with the pitchbends when you convert it to CVVC with the plugin, unless you do it manually. I also believe people don't like it because it takes more effort to use than VCV, even though it's easier to record.

Zephyr

Glitter and Death
Defender of Defoko
i use it because memory space. cant download even 1 vcv.
also less recordings and i cant record that long.
//cept nobody likes cvvc and i cry when i offer to voice an utau and they only want cv or vcv

but i think vcv is kinda easier to use since its a standard kinda.
and some people just opt for easier of the 2 with use. which is vcv.
since theres a lot of premade vcv stuff.

cvvc isnt a natural thing to use. or oto. or fix when it goes wrong.
i think people who know how the program works. like. not hit play or edit some lyrics. but really understand the program. are the people who use cvvc.

Reactions: Nohkara and partial
P

partial

But for cases where it messes up pitchbends, why not just use Presamp? You wouldn't even have to convert the UST to CV, just fit it to the vb as normal.

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Plus to add to representation, utau considered the best of their kind, Meiji, Renri, are VCV, and tons more great banks the same type. VCV just has that more official feel to me, and tons of people seem to regard this, CVVC seems not so official, although it is a real thing and still used by various people, maybe it has something to do with the stuff I said above.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
But for cases where it messes up pitchbends, why not just use Presamp? You wouldn't even have to convert the UST to CV, just fit it to the vb as normal.
Some people don't use it. Heh, I don't even have the plugin lol. I do everything manually by hand. I use CVVC for languages other than Japanese because VCV banks for those languages are a pain to download.

Reactions: Nohkara and partial

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
tbh I don't really like presamp since you'll have to search for the correctly oto'ed sound if the oto isn't configured properly, rendering takes more time (for me) which is a pain as a perfectionist tuner who playbacks notes a lot, and when I tried presamp on a VCV VB on a CVVC ust, it sounded really bad :'>

Reactions: VocAddict
P

partial

tbh I don't really like presamp since you'll have to search for the correctly oto'ed sound if the oto isn't configured properly, rendering takes more time (for me) which is a pain as a perfectionist tuner who playbacks notes a lot, and when I tried presamp on a VCV VB on a CVVC ust, it sounded really bad :'>
I think it's supposed to be used on CV or VCV USTs.

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I know at least for Synth users, they can't use plug-ins such as the autoCVVC, so they have to convert USTs by hand. It can also be harder to tune.
There's also the fact that people might not want to learn a new method when VCV works roughly as well as CVVC in terms of quality.

I personally use CVVC because I don't have the time/proper environment as a college student to record and oto a multipitch VCV. Most people who have used my banks or had interest my CVVC as CV, ask if I have a VCV version or am planning to make one or didn't even bother once they learned they're CVVC...

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I know at least for Synth users, they can't use plug-ins such as the autoCVVC, so they have to convert USTs by hand. It can also be harder to tune.
There's also the fact that people might not want to learn a new method when VCV works roughly as well as CVVC in terms of quality.

I personally use CVVC because I don't have the time/proper environment as a college student to record and oto a multipitch VCV. Most people who have used my banks or had interest my CVVC as CV, ask if I have a VCV version or am planning to make one or didn't even bother once they learned they're CVVC...

Yeah, I know the feel =/ Like how someone (who I was close to yet ! ) admitted they'd like to use my UTAU once released... But mostly if it's a VCV bank OTL""';;

✧ Elfrida ✧

The Space Witch
Defender of Defoko
I feel like I'm one of the only people who likes all methods almost equally, but I prioritize CVVC and VCV for the sake of quality. Plus, if I want a CV I might as well record a CVVC but that's only because I'm no longer a beginner, beginners should absolutely still start with just CV and then gradually try new things In my experience, I actually find VCV slightly harder to oto because no matter what my banks are never completely smooth. Lately I normally just use moresampler or something to create a base oto and then edit it. That being said, I find VCV easier to tune/edit in the program. Meanwhile with CVVC it's reversed. I find CVVC much easier to oto, although I'm not the best, but I find it takes more work to edit and oto even with plugins because sometimes the VCs still sound wonky.

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I think it's just that alot of users don't know/dont bother learning how to use or oto them. Most people a lazy to some extent, I can't imagine CVVC being even remotely touched by someone that does plug and play.

Then theres also the fact that there arent many popular voicebanks. By having no popular bank some people feel like they wont get views for using a random unnamed bank without putting alot of effort into it compared to a plug and play with a popular bank.

Also certan pitchbends need to be redone due to the trasition note. One could use plugins and presamp, but some people don't want to go through downloading that and figure out how they work.
Another argument would be that there arent as many resources as there are with VCV (oto generators, reclists).

In the end I find CVVC is mostly used well by people that know what they're doing and are willing to spend more time on the cover. They're also nice to use for those who like to tune and adjust stuff due to having more controll over the consonants and such.

Piia

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I'd probably use it if only I knew how to

It's probably not used too often (based on my personal experience and opinion) because:
  • A lot of pre-made USTs are in CV or VCV. Also, CV and VCV are the two voice bank type/format(? ;-:wink: that beginner UTAU users (like me ^^:wink: begin with, are acquainted to and are more used to handling. Oh and there's not too much to tweak when doing CV→VCV or visa versa.
  • I've noticed a lot of people have complaints about CVVC (which kinda discourages me from using it tbh)
  • There seems to be some other phonemes that CV/VCV users are not familiar with. If I remember correctly, there's stuff like @ and etc.?
I don't know. Maybe it's just because I've never touched CVVC anyway, but I may give it a go when I lay my hands on a CVVC voicebank (& UST ^^:wink:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think that most new users have a mentality that the correct order to learn the three styles is CV first, then VCV, then CVVC. To me, it seems like it's because that was the order that they were invented in, so surely it must be the correct order to learn them in. After all, past UTAU users also learned the three styles in that order.

I'm in favor of the learning order being CV, then CVVC, and VCV really just an optional extra if you focus on Japanese. While VCV is conceptually simpler, it's a lot of work, and it's not easy to write your own reclists. For CVVC,I think that all you need to learn is the purpose of VC notes in making a CV bank sound smoother. Additionally, it's a gateway to working with more languages! We're not required to be weebs, ya know.