Windows 10 audio still affecting recording for utau, advice?

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So my friend has Windows 10 & the audio for recording has been wonky since it was first released and it seems Microsoft doesn't seem to have payed much attention to the issue from what I've seen. Well for those that don't know what I mean, on my laptop (still a windows 7 & refuse to update because of this reason) I can have my microphone input be 70 & it can pick up sound just fine without excessive static sound. But using the same microphone on my friend's comp with windows 10 it has to be 90+ (otherwise it will barely pick any sound up) & it has major static with the recording than normal which tends to warp the sound when put into utau.

I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this or what?

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's probably not a windows 10 issue, if the laptop is a different model then the onboard sound chip could just have much worse recording.
Generally recording with built in sound is a crap shoot and made to be implemented as cheaply as possible, if at all.
Manufacturers don't want to spend the money to put better recording on a computer because no one will use it and the few people that do will only use it for calls.
The Static is just because the built in sound is so cheap.

Last edited:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Chances are high that it's the audio driver. Windows update automatically picks what it deems the "best" driver for your machine when it updates. Sometimes the very driver made for a given machine can be total garbage and you have to switch to the default "generic" driver that will work. I've experienced this myself with my computer (it's a 2008 [made for Win7] but I'm running Win10 and I've had to force Updates to stop trying to give me the driver that's made for this machine cause it was terrible)