Yay, a free DAW

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So, in case you guys didn't know, Tracktion 4 has been released for free! All you need to do is to sign up at the Tracktion website.

http://www.tracktion.com/downloads/tracktion4

Sure, this isn't the latest version, and it is quite different compared to other DAWs, but it runs on Windows, OS X and Linux, as well as having support for VST plugins. It's worth giving a spin!

I'll be posting my impressions when I get to complete a mix on it. Just informing you all!

Reactions: Buck and Tema

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It looks very promising and I'm certainly very interested in those features!! I'm going to test it myself to see if I'll want to recommend this to others.

Reactions: JVウタウ

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
It looks very promising and I'm certainly very interested in those features!! I'm going to test it myself to see if I'll want to recommend this to others.

Yeah! I'm so glad I found it while VST hoarding. It's always nice to have promising options for free, and since I'm mostly using third party virtual instruments anyway the lack of a big sound library doesn't affect me much.

That being said, some may not be comfortable with it, but I guess that's true of any DAW ^^;
[DOUBLEPOST=1437997852][/DOUBLEPOST]OH AND BY THE WAY

Unlike pretty much every other otherwise-full-featured DAW out there, TRACKTION supports MIDI EXPORT.

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Looks pretty sweet. Definitely something I need to check out. Thanks for sharing this!

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depending on how this goes I'll be using a full free software for UTAU.
Tracktion = DAW
Lightworks = Video Editor
Blender = Effects
and all of these work on Windows, Mac and Linux. Thus any tutorials I do with these can be used by all UTAU Users.

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
TRACKTION 4 MIXING IMPRESSIONS
Okay, so I was able to finish a quick mix test on Tracktion 4 and let me summarize my thoughts in a few words: once you get some annoyances out of the way, it just works. And it works well. Sure, the UI isn't the prettiest in the world, and the workflow isn't like almost any other DAW out there - and the latter isn't the best disadvantage to have especially for people seeking to upgrade to another DAW - but it works great and I love it. I wouldn't actually go back to th REAPER demo, nor do I have reason anymore to do my mixes on GarageBand (though I do make original WIPs there, but let's not get into there first).

Please bear with me if I over-exaggerate, I'm just so excited XD

Where's my VSTs? Oh wait, there they are
The first thing is that it's confusing at first to find how to add VST plugins. When you drag the "New Filter" button on the top to the track for the first time, you may find Tracktion plugins, and rack filter presets (more on that later), but no VST plugins. To actually use VST plugins, you must go to the Settings page, click "Plugins" on the menu in the left, click "Scanning and Sorting", and click the lowest option to scan for VSTs. The annoyance here is that, on my computer, it took up WAY too much CPU compared to what I expected for a VST search. My frame rate was reduced to 5 seconds per frame. No, the last part wasn't wrong, it's not frames per second, it's seconds per frame. When that nightmare of trying to figure out what's wrong is finally over, I got to see VST plugins in the new filter menu.

Mixing: Rack Filters
Now, there is no separate mixer window. The edit window shows all the tools you need at once. On the right of each track is a bunch of controls that you might mistake for basic track controls. No, this is the actual effects flow - the volume control, level meter, and mute/solo toggles are actually filters themselves, and you can add a filter (or effect) in between them (part of why there's a tiny gap between them). Yes, you can actually add a filter BEFORE the track volume control. Tracktion blows my mind. It bothers me how something can seem so alien at first, but once I've actually done it, it feels strangely intuitive.

mixer great.JPG

When you add many effects, though, that space on the right of the track might get crowded. Enter rack filters. Basically, it's a group of filters in a rack (demonstrated above, in a rack filter I titled "Vocal"). This is a really great idea as it not only allows you to simplify your effects chains, but also allow you to save entire effects chains for use in future projects. In addition, you can do complex signal routing. The only other DAW that I know that has rack concepts would be Ableton Live, and there might be something similar on other DAWs, but I believe this is where Tracktion shines.
On the lower right corner, where you have play and other controls, there is also a slot where you can place effects, allowing you to use mastering compressors and equalizers like the TDR Kotelnikov. (refer to the screenshot, oh, and I highly recommend the Kotelnikov, it's free and it's a great compressor)

(Also, if you notice in the screenshot above, I've read it's often not recommended to use two equalizers but I did it anyway because I dunno, so sorry XD)

As for MIDI and making originals, I did not test them yet. I don't have a MIDI controller, and I'm still trying to learn the process of entering notes by hand a-la-UTAU. But for those who have a MIDI controller, it should be fairly easy to make MIDIs that you can export and use as bases for your next great UST.

Conclusion
I think Tracktion 4 is a great free DAW and I'm seriously contemplating if purchasing Tracktion 6 ($60) would be a good option should I have the money. I'm glad Tracktion's developers released the old version 4 for free, it makes me want the overhaul from Tracktion 5 up more. (Tracktion 5 and 6 introduced new features and a new UI as far as I know, and those two are good reasons to upgrade.)

Here's the quick thing I mixed! It's just a dump of a raw audio of a cover WIP I'm working on (I'm working on the tuning, please give me any advice too if you spot anything!), into the off vocal, and of course with tons of effects. https://app.box.com/s/w4mfqfev636uvvsn1473pn1zp36vlfqj

Credits: song is Osanana Blue by Last Note., with UST by PandaLolii (I removed all of the nice tuning and vibrato in the UST though to tune it myself ^^:wink: and vocals by Samura Tomi (the UTAU of kyaami). Mixed in Tracktion 4 with the plugins TDR Kotelnikov, TDR-VOS SlickEQ, MEqualizer and LiquidSonics Reverberate LE.

Thanks for dropping by my huge wall of text!

Reactions: Zarsla and Kiyoteru

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
TRACKTION 4 MIXING IMPRESSIONS
Okay, so I was able to finish a quick mix test on Tracktion 4 and let me summarize my thoughts in a few words: once you get some annoyances out of the way, it just works. And it works well. Sure, the UI isn't the prettiest in the world, and the workflow isn't like almost any other DAW out there - and the latter isn't the best disadvantage to have especially for people seeking to upgrade to another DAW - but it works great and I love it. I wouldn't actually go back to th REAPER demo, nor do I have reason anymore to do my mixes on GarageBand (though I do make original WIPs there, but let's not get into there first).

Please bear with me if I over-exaggerate, I'm just so excited XD

Where's my VSTs? Oh wait, there they are
The first thing is that it's confusing at first to find how to add VST plugins. When you drag the "New Filter" button on the top to the track for the first time, you may find Tracktion plugins, and rack filter presets (more on that later), but no VST plugins. To actually use VST plugins, you must go to the Settings page, click "Plugins" on the menu in the left, click "Scanning and Sorting", and click the lowest option to scan for VSTs. The annoyance here is that, on my computer, it took up WAY too much CPU compared to what I expected for a VST search. My frame rate was reduced to 5 seconds per frame. No, the last part wasn't wrong, it's not frames per second, it's seconds per frame. When that nightmare of trying to figure out what's wrong is finally over, I got to see VST plugins in the new filter menu.

Mixing: Rack Filters
Now, there is no separate mixer window. The edit window shows all the tools you need at once. On the right of each track is a bunch of controls that you might mistake for basic track controls. No, this is the actual effects flow - the volume control, level meter, and mute/solo toggles are actually filters themselves, and you can add a filter (or effect) in between them (part of why there's a tiny gap between them). Yes, you can actually add a filter BEFORE the track volume control. Tracktion blows my mind. It bothers me how something can seem so alien at first, but once I've actually done it, it feels strangely intuitive.

View attachment 1300

When you add many effects, though, that space on the right of the track might get crowded. Enter rack filters. Basically, it's a group of filters in a rack (demonstrated above, in a rack filter I titled "Vocal"). This is a really great idea as it not only allows you to simplify your effects chains, but also allow you to save entire effects chains for use in future projects. In addition, you can do complex signal routing. The only other DAW that I know that has rack concepts would be Ableton Live, and there might be something similar on other DAWs, but I believe this is where Tracktion shines.
On the lower right corner, where you have play and other controls, there is also a slot where you can place effects, allowing you to use mastering compressors and equalizers like the TDR Kotelnikov. (refer to the screenshot, oh, and I highly recommend the Kotelnikov, it's free and it's a great compressor)

(Also, if you notice in the screenshot above, I've read it's often not recommended to use two equalizers but I did it anyway because I dunno, so sorry XD)

As for MIDI and making originals, I did not test them yet. I don't have a MIDI controller, and I'm still trying to learn the process of entering notes by hand a-la-UTAU. But for those who have a MIDI controller, it should be fairly easy to make MIDIs that you can export and use as bases for your next great UST.

Conclusion
I think Tracktion 4 is a great free DAW and I'm seriously contemplating if purchasing Tracktion 6 ($60) would be a good option should I have the money. I'm glad Tracktion's developers released the old version 4 for free, it makes me want the overhaul from Tracktion 5 up more. (Tracktion 5 and 6 introduced new features and a new UI as far as I know, and those two are good reasons to upgrade.)

Here's the quick thing I mixed! It's just a dump of a raw audio of a cover WIP I'm working on (I'm working on the tuning, please give me any advice too if you spot anything!), into the off vocal, and of course with tons of effects. https://app.box.com/s/w4mfqfev636uvvsn1473pn1zp36vlfqj

Credits: song is Osanana Blue by Last Note., with UST by PandaLolii (I removed all of the nice tuning and vibrato in the UST though to tune it myself ^^:wink: and vocals by Samura Tomi (the UTAU of kyaami). Mixed in Tracktion 4 with the plugins TDR Kotelnikov, TDR-VOS SlickEQ, MEqualizer and LiquidSonics Reverberate LE.

Thanks for dropping by my huge wall of text!
This sounds really awesome. Now, does Tracktion 4 have a lot of instruments and effects that come with it, or is it mostly dependent on 3rd party plugins? It wouldn't be that big of a drawback if it didn't but it would be nice to know beforehand.

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
This sounds really awesome. Now, does Tracktion 4 have a lot of instruments and effects that come with it, or is it mostly dependent on 3rd party plugins? It wouldn't be that big of a drawback if it didn't but it would be nice to know beforehand.

Effects are plentiful, though I stuck to my regular VSTs. As for instruments, I believe none came with the program. However, since it supports VSTs, a wide range of free virtual instruments are available! (though I'm sure you already knew that haha) PLEASE check out TyrellN6 if you haven't already, best synth I've ever used IMO (and can make a wide range of sounds as long as the sound you are thinking of is synth) and it's free!

I have yet to check out Tracktion as a composition program though. There's a piano roll somewhere, I guess, I just need to learn the new GUI...

Given that Tracktion is so untraditional, I guess I wouldn't recommend it for the aspiring audio engineer who wants to mix hundreds of tracks of film audio in Pro Tools since the transition from Tracktion to traditional DAWs may be strange. But I don't know much about PT or audio engineering, so XD

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I was watching a video of tracktion 5 where the person in question accessed the piano roll for a MIDI clip by simply expanding the track as wide vertically as it could go, and the piano roll was directly on the clip. I don't know if that applies to Tracktion 4 as well, but worth a shot i guess? And yeah, I haven't tried experimenting with VSTis much because LMMS (lol), but if it works well in Tracktion I will give it a shot. I think I will look at it sometime around September (reasons), provided it isnt taken down before then for some reason.

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I was watching a video of tracktion 5 where the person in question accessed the piano roll for a MIDI clip by simply expanding the track as wide vertically as it could go, and the piano roll was directly on the clip. I don't know if that applies to Tracktion 4 as well, but worth a shot i guess? And yeah, I haven't tried experimenting with VSTis much because LMMS (lol), but if it works well in Tracktion I will give it a shot. I think I will look at it sometime around September (reasons), provided it isnt taken down before then for some reason.
Huh. If that's the case, the logic behind such a UI decision is both amazing and alien. I'm gonna look closer into this.

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
I'm gonna check this out. Why? because you said the word "free!"
[DOUBLEPOST=1438228245][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it's 32 bit! That means i can actually run it on my vintage hardwares.

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
tfw when within ten seconds of installation, you have started your work on a dark theme...
qSD9OlK.png

Also, there's DEFINITELY a reason it's free. It has that feel, that one that can only be described as "mediocre open-source project".

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Oh, but it was once commercially sold and I think it works really well. Given that it also does MIDI, fairly advanced mixing and others for free, I also don't think the UI is a really big concern.

That said, even the latest one isn't so pretty, they could use some UI designers. Mediocre open source doesn't feel like an estimation that this thing is worth though.

(Sorry for the kinda-rant, it just works so well I didn't like people to judge it only on UI, but there are other options)
(I would not put this over expensive stuff though)

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Tried out the demo because I don't feel like signing up for any more stuff.

What is genius:
-The way projects are organized on the front page, with tabs for settings and any edits you have open (edits!)
-Color scheme management. Because themes are overrated.
-Editing notes directly on the MIDI clip instead of in a separate piano roll window that never ceases to be in the way of everything.
-Not sucking in spite of it being otherwise mediocre looking freeware.
-Filters and filter racks instead of a mixing board that never ceases to be in the way of everything.

What isn't genius:
-VST search nearly slew my computer.

I love it. Will probably register it around September, if I like it enough by that point I may even buy 6. I haven't quite gotten into everything yet, so we will see. But still.

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Tried out the demo because I don't feel like signing up for any more stuff.

What is genius:
-The way projects are organized on the front page, with tabs for settings and any edits you have open (edits!)
-Color scheme management. Because themes are overrated.
-Editing notes directly on the MIDI clip instead of in a separate piano roll window that never ceases to be in the way of everything.
-Not sucking in spite of it being otherwise mediocre looking freeware.
-Filters and filter racks instead of a mixing board that never ceases to be in the way of everything.

What isn't genius:
-VST search nearly slew my computer.

I love it. Will probably register it around September, if I like it enough by that point I may even buy 6. I haven't quite gotten into everything yet, so we will see. But still.

Nice! I just found out that you can add a MIDI clip last night, hahaha. I loved how the piano roll appears, and it makes sense - you zoom in and you see the elements (notes) of a composition, you zoom out and see it as one whole.

I agree with everything you said actually, even the VST search as I mentioned on my mini-review! I'll post the next part of my impressions when I get to complete a basic track on it. Anyway, it's far better than pretty much every other free DAW deal I've seen.

[EDIT: Also, the preset color scheme M - Concept Smoke makes Tracktion look far more polished to me, haha. I think the light blue and green scheme was part of what made the default look rather outdated]

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Nice! I just found out that you can add a MIDI clip last night, hahaha. I loved how the piano roll appears, and it makes sense - you zoom in and you see the elements (notes) of a composition, you zoom out and see it as one whole.

I agree with everything you said actually, even the VST search as I mentioned on my mini-review! I'll post the next part of my impressions when I get to complete a basic track on it. Anyway, it's far better than pretty much every other free DAW deal I've seen.

[EDIT: Also, the preset color scheme M - Concept Smoke makes Tracktion look far more polished to me, haha. I think the light blue and green scheme was part of what made the default look rather outdated]
Yeah, the MIDI clip thing does seem rather complicated. I also don't understand how to connect it to a VSTi yet (actually I don't have any, but I saw no option for it.). The piano roll is a nice touch though, if not a bit small.

Its better than all of the freeware DAWs I have had so far. Basically I use Audacity + LMMS + Caustic for stuff right now. This simplifies all of those into oneone very convienient package.

neat about the color preset thing too. The default colors really are kind of odd looking now that I think about it. Color really does make a huge difference.

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Support for midi export~

Does the free version have any rules or restrictions? Especially like being unable to produce commercial works in the free Reaper demo.