YouTube Copyright Claims - What do YOU do?

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So I'm sure everyone has faced it at some point or another - YouTube getting upset with your covers.

I'm very curious as to how the community deals with this. Do you just say "screw it" and upload while hoping for the best? Do you pitch then upload? Do you not post at all and go to other places? And what about country bans (Like one of my covers is banned in Japan)?

A bit one also is when they take your videos down after a long time. Everyone can deal with on the spot refusals of posting, but what do you do after a year or so?

I partially am wanting to know because this just happened to me with a video over a year old and I'm unsure if I should reupload or what at this point (I was really proud of it, it was not only a UST release but the first video posted of an UTAU I made), but also it would be neat to see how everyone deals with this.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
YouTube really is annoying with all the copyright claims. I mean, it's a cover not the original ._.

It was only one time where I had to take a cover down because of copyright. The rest was only just YouTube putting ads on the video. But for the cover that was taken down, I found out there was an rearrangement of that song with a different tempo and key and remade it.

Does YouTube take it down if you like say pitch the instrumental and have the cover in a different key? I'm not sure about that one. I do know for sure that rearrangements don't have to worry about copyright claims. Maybe creating and using a different instrumental would help.

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
hmm I'm quite aware of copyright laws and I always try to not infringe anyone else's copyright. So before I even start making cover, I will check whether this song is copyrighted / Youtube will ban it or not.

butttt...
in case of my frozen cover, I pitch it up XD
I just want to upload it no matter what because everyone else is doing it

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
I can't recall ever posting a cover of a song that I knew for sure would be removed. I mean I know Skyisland had to move to Tumblr because his stuff kept getting deleted, but he mainly covers popular songs and not Vocaloid music now.

What annoys me are these "Original Creator" and such websites that don't own the content themselves, but are somehow allowed to assert a claim in place of the artist. Like no. That's bullcrap. Get the hell off my Kaoling cover which I made with a karaoke she herself provided publicly for free.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
^ It annoys me when covers get deleted when the producers themselves provide a free download to their instrumentals. What's the point then?

UTAUKimi-Yamamoto

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've never had a video removed, but I do have a couple that were flagged for third party content. One of them being a cover of Let It Go from Frozen and I used a fanmade instrumental.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I usually forget that YT has the power of removing my videos, so I guess it's "screw it"? XD

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I just go for it. I only got a strike once four years ago because of Sony Entertainment. Now they just tell me that my video contains copyright and is blocked in certain countries.

I can understand uploading movies and stuff, but targeting people who just make a cover over a song isn't fair.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I almost want to argue Fair Use with the Dispute option, but I have a feeling it won't go over well at all. *sigh* It's an anime song too with only one off vocal that was hard enough to find in the first place, so I suppose I'll pitch it, maybe make a better video, and rerelease eventually.

What baffled me badly is what the copyright claimed. The cover was made in December 2012 of the song Life Goes On. The copyright claim is for Life Goes On (with a bunch of kanji or Chinese beside it) 2013 Remix. wat. seriously. wat. So you're going to ding me for a cover of a remix that hadn't been invented yet? I seriously wonder if I can dispute it on that basis.

YouTube is just messed up period unfortunately. Creative Commons and Copyright can just never get along, and the system feels so convoluted that it's kinda sad we know we can't even argue fair use for something that was provided freely in many cases.

Hmm, how much do people generally pitch it? A few semitones?

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The only time I had a copyright issue was when I posted my cover of Sakura Drops. I pitched it up a few semitones & it almost made it through if it weren't for an instrumental part later in the song. In the end, I took the Fair Use risk & the video is still up & I don't have a strike for it soooo...

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
stormylullaby said:
The only time I had a copyright issue was when I posted my cover of Sakura Drops. I pitched it up a few semitones & it almost made it through if it weren't for an instrumental part later in the song. In the end, I took the Fair Use risk & the video is still up & I don't have a strike for it soooo...

Don't know if I'm misinterpreting or not, are you saying it was caught as copyright, you disputed it as fair use, and won? Because I have hope if so.

Lightzaver

Teto's Territory
Keep the video up, dispute it.

I covered Magia a while back and it got blocked worldwide, I disputed it- wrote about how it was fair use, I wasn't claiming ownership of the song/lyrics nor was I discrediting the creator of the song.

It was unblocked within an hour, I think ; u;

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Maybe they changed their system? I've never disputed on YouTube before, but I've heard you only get one chance to do it so I don't want to mess up.

This is what I see when I hit Dispute:

I'm not sure which one to select, as Fair Use doesn't talk about entertainment after I googled it, while I did credit in the video I'm pretty sure it isn't enough of a valid reason and neither is not making money from it…

What did you guys choose? I REALLY don't want to mess this up and get a strike on my channel.

stormylullaby

Always Watching You
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Fair Use should clear it up. None of the other options will really let you dispute the claim. Entertainment isn't explicitly included in Fair Use, but I won, & I know other people who won, too.

Or you could just be really safe & take the video down.

Lightzaver

Teto's Territory
I gave credit, meets fair use and not selling are all valid reasons.

I can't remember how I did it but it let me type a paragraph in somehow for the dispute thing. Sorry ; - ;

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
This is the reason why I never post any video on YouTube anymore. I remembered when I posted the Flower Tail video...until I got a copyright claim related to it. Even I try to dispute it, I know that they will reject it. So, I just quit YouTube and use NND, Vimeo and Tumblr instead.

mattzelo6

Teto's Territory
I think there is a way to get around that. There is a video on youtube that shows you how to do it. You can enter questions on youtube that allow you explain how its not breaking the law.

RollieRyttle

The Sensible NonSensical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I was thinking earlier about how I don't get 3rd party matches on videos that have been layered within another video (even something simple like a picture of an UTAU
So if you know you're obeying fair-use laws but still want to lower your odds of having YouTube match the content, little tricks like that might save you some trouble.

Also, if we're also on the subject of responding to existing matches, I've been meaning to get some opinions on an old "3rd-party-match" for a while.
mNazJsA.png

What is actually the right response for something like this?
I absolutely wouldn't mind YouTube putting adds on the video, since it's just a subbed cover of horipro's original video.
But, what am I actually agreeing to when I hit OK, got it?
Am I just acknowledging that they're going to put adds on it, or am I effectively telling them to take down the video?
Any advice would be appreciated, chances are I might have to deal with this again sometime.

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
But, what am I actually agreeing to when I hit OK, got it?
Am I just acknowledging that they're going to put adds on it, or am I effectively telling them to take down the video?
Any advice would be appreciated, chances are I might have to deal with this again sometime.

When you get these, acknowledging them is typically just keeping your account in good standings.
It lets YouTube know that you're not claiming it's your own material.
Unless your video is IMMEDIATELY taken down soon after being uploaded and scanned against YouTube's content database, it'll stay up!

RollieRyttle

The Sensible NonSensical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
When you get these, acknowledging them is typically just keeping your account in good standings.
It lets YouTube know that you're not claiming it's your own material.
Unless your video is IMMEDIATELY taken down soon after being uploaded and scanned against YouTube's content database, it'll stay up!
I haven't gotten any messages or deletions from YouTube when I acknowledged the matched content, so I assume my account's still in good standing then!
Thanks Myst~