YouTube's New Layout

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It seems like for most people, YouTube changed their layout today. Do you guys love it? Hate it?

I for one do not like the homepage. It's all white and not visually pleasing. Even worse is that the timeline is all jumbled up with recommended videos, sub activity, and it's hard to see uploads from subs. It's not even in chronological order. I do like the icons on the video pages though.

Ugh, YouTube trolled me by changing to the new layout a long time ago, changed it back to the old version today, and then permanently changed it back to the new one.

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I hate it!

I hate change! D'<

At least my channel looks the same. phew V_V;;

unrelated: also I should probably make a new video, woah >__O

Ono

Teto's Territory
Youtube has never heard of the saying "Don't fix what's not broken."
It's like every time you get used to the new layout, they go and change it to a less-likeable one. I wish they gave users the option to change it or not. I miss the layout where everyone was complaining that Youtube made the stalker wall. But it looked nice and that's the layout I would prefer. And the new Youtube mostly shows the recommended and "This girl and 1,000 likes this" videos which irks me because I wanna see my daily subscribed videos. The only way I'll see it if I keep strolling down or someone else likes the video. Other than that, I won't be finding that video anytime soon.

NicolaCola

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Ahh, it's got its ups and its downs.

I do really like seeing people's icons in the comments! And I'm glad that you can switch from the 'What to Watch' tab to the 'My Subscriptions' tab to see stuff in chronological order again. Plus the list of your subscriptions on the left has a scroll-y list, so you don't have to go to a completely different page to get to any of the people you're subscribed to, which I personally think will save a lot of time.

As for the negatives, it kind of bothers me that everything is all clumped onto the left side. There's all of this free screen real estate on the right side of the screen, but nothing over there, and the giant glaring white space is just kind of bothersome.

Ono

Teto's Territory
NicolaCola link said:
Ahh, it's got its ups and its downs.

I do really like seeing people's icons in the comments! And I'm glad that you can switch from the 'What to Watch' tab to the 'My Subscriptions' tab to see stuff in chronological order again. Plus the list of your subscriptions on the left has a scroll-y list, so you don't have to go to a completely different page to get to any of the people you're subscribed to, which I personally think will save a lot of time.

As for the negatives, it kind of bothers me that everything is all clumped onto the left side. There's all of this free screen real estate on the right side if the screen, but nothing over there, and the giant glaring white space is just kind of bothersome.

Whaoo wut? My youtube updated to that yet.
Like you said, that would save me alot of time!

UkimeKageku

Teto's Territory
I agree... I don't like all the white, it hurts my eyes. and I was just used to the other layout, even though I didn't like that one much either.  ;_;

KitWistful

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
On the upside, it makes it more difficult to be a dick, I guess : P  Less anonymity. Maybe they're trying to be less of a cesspool? they're trying to be facebook, actually, and I don't like it

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
You can't try to be less of a cesspool and more like Facebook at the same time.

Silly YouTube.

Fyne-Q

Teto's Territory
...What. Why is YT on the left side of my screen? D: /sob (I have a 22" screen, so there is a difference...)

This new design is an epic fail :T . The only thing that I like are icons visible in video comments...

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm really really kind of mad. not even kinda
All these sites nowadays are trying to look all "modern" and "cool". (SOUNDCLOUD DON'T DO IT TOO!) Really all they're doing is making everything all blocky, clumped together, disorganized, and overly colorful/devoid of all color. YouTube is so black and white now. actually just white. And the old update greyed out our user pages and made them boring. joy.

The functions I SUPER MISS are that you can no longer make Subscription videos be emailed to you. I prefer that over going to the cluttered, filled to the brim subscription box. In email I can see who uploaded it easier and judge if it's important or not. ALSO Now I can't delete videos from a playlist while watching the playlist. A minor thing, but generally I'd realize I no longer like a song while watching it and delete it from my favorites. can't do it.

And plus all these site changes everywhere are making my less than amazing comupter flip out with slow loading and sometimes not even loading at all. and school can't soundcloud now. stop stooooop

Last thing. Everyone seems to forget that about 2-3 years ago YouTube had icons in the comment section. They removed it because it "wasn't cool" and "cluttered everything up". I guess it's cool again. :/

this should be in the rant thread hah

EDIT: FFFF THEY GOT RID OF THE "FILTER: RECENTLY UPLOADED" NOOOO that's how I search everything UTAU related, by what's most recent. THIS MEANS WARRRR.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Honestly ?

I already expressed somehow my thoughts right now in the chatbox (thugh I should have sweetened it instead to swear, I admit it orz)

I feel like it's even worse than the previous one x_x"' And please, can somebody tell me why do they need to change layouts so much ?!

Jesus, that makes me think I should have really made an account when I was 13-14 because at least I could have profited of a better YT "epoca" *sighs*

Ant

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
You know what, though? There aren't even any good alternatives (besides nicovideo). :I YouTube is like a video sharing monopoly.

aplusod

Teto's Territory
(Wall of rant ahead, so I'm going to go ahead and stick it in a spoiler tag.)
I've been stuck with it for two months or so already, though, and it's been consistently updating. It's gotten a little better than when it first updated for me, but I still hate it.
For a while, you had to take a roundabout way to see PMs or comments, because there was no notification thing that showed up on the homepage. I think it does it for PMs now, but not comments. (I don't know about other inbox activity.)
It really helps now that the list of playlists is back on that top bar thing instead of just showing your connected accounts, with a direct link there and stuff.

I'm subscribed to near a thousand people (mostly UTAU people). I don't like seeing anything other than uploads, and by default, you see everything (likes, comments, favorites, uploads, playlists, etc). And if you wanted to change it (I don't know if this has been fixed, but it was a problem when it switched on me), you had to check everyone off one by one saying "Show only uploads". The Uploads Only tab didn't exist when it switched on me.

I also hate how recommendations aren't in their neat little side bar that could oh so easily be ignored. YT logic doesn't help in the VOCALOID fandom much for me, since it's more like "Oh, you liked this video, have a different reprint of the same video!".
I wish there was a way to make the Uploads Only tab default. I'm used to just re-clicking the YT logo to refresh the page...;;

I like the look of playlists a little better now, but I hate that you can't delete while watching videos too. I also wish the Watch Later list worked like a playlist again. (They've added the ability to manage the watch later list, it looks like too. And there's a play all button, but it's a slightly roundabout way to get there.)

I don't like how embedded videos autoplay, especially when you have five or six videos trying to play all at once... (I'm also glad that they cut the idea of Related Videos popping up in another box and playing at the same time as everything else. It did that for maybe a week.)
And also, annotations have been down for a while. (I think all of YT was affected.) The annotations button on the video player seems to be gone, and the annotation editor never seems to load.
Getting rid of the Search By Upload Date is annoying too, but I think it was Aline who mentioned you could just go in your history and use the same link, and the filter still worked.

tl;dr:
I hate how the page looks in general, but that doesn't bother me quite as much as the lack of notifications, not having the Uploads Only tab by default, somewhat roundabout ways to get to things, autoplaying on sites other than YT, lack of annotations, lack of easy editing of playlists and watch later lists, and the need to find another link in order to use the Search By Upload Date filter. Despite it being better than it was two months ago, it's still annoying and I really hope the next update is soon and doesn't suck as much.

Ono

Teto's Territory
Remember when everyone used to go straight on Youtube the moment they got home?
Yeah, that was great.

But yeah, I miss the old layout so much. I wonder if you send feedback, they'll change it again in another 4 months. Which is what usually happens except they make it worse.

And another site that changed is DeviantArt with its big boxes, looking very unorganized. Why? Why u guiz no listen to us when we say it's a bad idea?

Fawkesy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't like it.
It's cluttered, it doesn't fit my screen correctly (it's off to the left, I want it in the middle.), it's boring to look at.....
I want the old layout back.
:c

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
After trying out the new layout for a few days...

-No recent uploads options in the search.
-Everything is on the left for widescreen people.
-Everything is just too white.
-None of the "recommended videos" are anything I would watch. It's too random.

Yeah, please change it back. Maybe we can just all migrate to NND.

P

PurinPuff

moonst4r link said:

Also:

Please use your Google Account email address ("youremailhere"@"domain".com) to sign in. We no longer support signing in with your old YouTube username.

Youtube water u doing?