Yup, another critique

candymarbles

Teto's Territory
As the title says, I'm asking for a critique on Geode's WIP design -w- I'm actually considering leaving her designless, not because I'm butthurt (i.e. "YOU GAIZ DUN LIKE MAI DESIN SO ILL JUS QUIT!!1!one!!"), but because I feel like it would be a better choice for me if this one doesn't work out.

In any case, for now I do have a design, and I am very willing to change it.

[hs width=250 height=473]http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/140/9/4/utau_geode_concept_art_by_theprincessdaisy-d50j214.jpg[/hs][/s]

What do you guys think? ;3; I'm starting to get the feeling that too much is going on (she has shark teeth, too). And she might be a bit genre specific... :c The colors are starting to bug me, too.

Oh God, i'm so scared posting my crappy drawing here OTL

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hmm hmm hmm...-squints- Is that a monocle she's wearing or something else? It's kind of hard for me to tell.

I think the design overall is pretty cute and you shouldn't give up on it <i>just</i> yet, ya know? ^^ The green is what's throwing me off though OTL Maybe change it to a dark red so that it matches the pink and her eye. I also think the cat on her headband is unnecessary so maybe take that off <s>and if that is a monocle I don't think that's needed either</s>.

Her boots might also look nicer as a dark gray too.

Hmm...it's hard for me to tell the exact colors on the picture because they're kinda light...is her headband orange or red?

candymarbles

Teto's Territory
*first of all, thanks for taking the time to help me out :love: *
Yeah... it's a monocle ;3; I wanted her to wear some form of glasses, since I based some of the looks on myself... sorry, but my scanner is stinky OTL

I was actually considering changing the tunic to a solid color, and I must say that i do like the idea of red~ The cat is a reference to another character that I voiced (here Kootees in Baby Solves Global Warming. , if you'd like to know. Pardon me, that video's kinda old :<), so that's really the only thing I'd prefer to keep OTL I kind of drew inspiration from the fact that Gumi is made to look like Ranka Lee...

I'd never thought of making her boots dark gray, I'll try that next time I draw her~ :3 The headband is meant to be some shade of light brown, like it was made of leather. That is definitely open to change :B

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Weelll...okay let's see here. Observe:

CatvsNoCAT.png

I personally think the color scheme to the left would work awesomely for her. A nice dark red, with pink, gray, and brown. It's not a super girly color scheme like my UTAU Iris(even though I am using her pink rofl) It gives off a more punky and calmer girl attitude than the one on the right. HOWEVER, the one on the left probably wouldn't work very well with your cat. That one hint of yellow could throw the entire color scheme off.

The color scheme on the right however is made for that cat. A brighter red, with the exact same pink from my UTAU Iris, plus yellow and orange. It's a warmer color scheme but it's still just as nice. If you go with this one I'd also suggest pulling her hair up in a ponytail with a red ribbon like the cat you mentioned. However the gray she has now might not work as well with the color scheme on the right.

Now, that all being said...I think you REALLY should pick between her being a shout out to the cat or being a shout out to you because if you make her design reference too many characters/people of different origin we might get a design that is cluttered and unappealing because there are too many different design aspects going on.

As for the monocle...maybe you should try regular glasses because it just...doesn't seem to fit...it seems out of place.

Ahhh and you're welcome I'm happy if I can help you.

candymarbles

Teto's Territory
You are helping me a lot here, everyone I asked in real life were just saying "Good job! :D" or something else nonconstructive -w-

...I think I like the left one better c: I had intended her to act sort of like the cat, so I s'pose that's enough -w- I might give her a doll of it as a character item or something... do you think that would interfere much? :/

IrisFlower link said:
if you make her design reference too many characters/people of different origin we might get a design that is cluttered and unappealing because there are too many different design aspects going on.

^ That's EXACTLY what i was getting worried about. I'll just try and stick to minimal references.

(And her original design had round rimmed glasses, so I'll revert back to that o3o)
Thanks again~! :D

IrisFlower

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A character item shouldn't interfere too much I think that should be fine -nod-

And you're welcome ;u; I'm glad I could help ^^

Myon

Momo's Minion
Initially, when I first looked at it. The design looks sort of 80's Glam-rock--With the hair, belt and fishnet tights. But the diagonally striped dress and the combination between the cat ornament, monocle, pumpkin smiley, and white shorts + boots kind of puts up a fight with that element that I was first thinking of.

I think you've established what you're going for--reference to the cat/cat-like personality, wears glasses. Now all there is left to do is tailor down the design.

Perhaps giving your character a feline-like silhouette via hairstyle/headdress/hoodie? Ie: Double-bun hairstyle that are kind of shaped like cat's ears(?) or a large ribbon/Hair bow that simulates a cat's ears.

candymarbles

Teto's Territory
She is supposed to look like a rocker B3 But that was mainly to identify the fact that she's a rather harsh character (many insults, bad temper, etc.) like the cat, only meaner. I'd rather not make her silhouette cat-like, because the character I was referencing isn't really a cat. For some reason, the creator just gave it catlike ears -3- She's meant to be a tomboy-baby with a bit of a temper, and that's kind of what Geode is (just not a baby c:smile:.

I think I'm going to make the dress a solid color... it was a bit too much to look at before. The pumpkin smiley was a reference to myself again, since I make buttons like that ;3; I've always liked boots paired with tights, so I just kind of shoved that into the design... there's a lot that I just put there last minute XD

Thank you, though! They are great suggestions~