A Strange Request

Roze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So..Instead of asking around to get art for this cover, I decided to attempt my hand at a piece of art, which I'm going to stick to because I don't have too much time at the moment. ;orz As it turns out, I can't shade for shit despite all my years of art classes *cries* So everything is pretty much done and I have it saved as a .sai. Would anyone be willing to give me a hand? Or, if it's impossible and it really does look like booty, maybe recreate the pic for me? ;orz

Here's the file if anyone wants to attempt it: [x]

Reactions: melobuniiP

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
I cannot see the file since I don't use SAI, but I can start you off by giving some general coloring tips!

• Don't shade with black, and avoid making things lighter with white, unless the situation is absolutely appropriate for it. Shading with black makes colors look kinda gross and muddy, especially with yellows and stuff. Instead...
  • Shade with a different hue at a darker color! For example, if your color was, say, yellow, then you could shade it with a darker orange. Just using a different hue will prevent the ugly colors associated with shading with black.
  • Figure out where your light source is. Even if the light source isn't visible(like the sun or a lamp), figuring out where the light is coming from will help you figure out where shadows and highlights go.
  • When it comes to things like color relationships(e.g. complementary colors and stuff like that), the trick is to not use those colors at equal amounts and equal intensities. For example, I like the blue/orange color combination a lot, but I would usually make blue a darker color that makes up the majority of the color used, and the orange would be lighter at a lower saturation, used more as highlights.
  • Finally, make sure you look up tutorials and observe how other artists color! What I've mentioned here are general tips and not rules of thumb, and coloring is a lot more complex than just "use a different hue." There's a lot about ambient light, coloring different surfaces and all that jazz, so I would try looking at many tutorials, artwork, and the world around you(art imitates life!)
There's so much to know about color, and it doesn't matter depending on whether it is digital or traditional medium! Make sure to experiment and have fun!

Reactions: sailor _ravioli

melobuniiP

Queen of Bunnies, Thou shalt not forget.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'll look at it for you, but I think its best if you export it as .psd since not everyone has SAI c:

melobuniiP

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
New:
I did the girl!
Also, it would've been best if aaalll colors were in different layers.
Also made a color chart on what and how I used it. I hope this helps!
This helps too

sai: http://sta.sh/01ohb23dwp0a
ggrks_melobunii_edit_by_melobunii-d9q24z2.png

color_by_melobunii-d9q26bm.png

By yamio@ deviantart
tutorial___free_to_use_palette_by_yamio-d8ljukl.png

Roze

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for everything, guys. c: I've gone through this a lot of times in my classes but unfortunately it hasn't stuck at all. I'll try dabbling around with it but I'm pretty certain digital art wasn't really made for me ; v ;''

melobuniiP

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Thanks for everything, guys. c: I've gone through this a lot of times in my classes but unfortunately it hasn't stuck at all. I'll try dabbling around with it but I'm pretty certain digital art wasn't really made for me ; v ;''
Don't give up because it didn't go right at first! It takes time and practice! c: