Actual difference in length of samples?...

zinfandel

Teto's Territory
Supporter
I was never quite sure on what difference the length of samples make in a voicebank, other than voicebank size it takes up on the harddrive.... in all kinds of recording styles.. i usually make 1 to 2 second samples with Japanese CV... anyone know the difference it makes to have shorter or longer samples....

DianaTan

Teto's Territory
I'm not quite sure but I think shorter sample have better quality and - of course - the VB doesn't take so much space
I usually do it between 0,5 - 1,0 secounds (because my UTAU doesn't accept samples under 0,5 secounds orz)

tady159

Ruko's Ruffians
The length of the samples will, until certain point, determine how metallic the VB sounds. The metallic sound of the rendering is in part caused by the way UTAU makes long notes, which is by simply stretching the samples, instead of looping a determined region of it. This way, extremely short samples (like defoko's) will sound very metallic, and even quite distorted, compared to longer samples. Of course, VERY long samples are useless and space consuming, mainly cause it is virtually impossible to have long samples with a stable volume so we could use ALL of it, so we need to cut them. And ideal length of samples is between 1 and 2 seconds, not too shorter, not too longer than this.

Nikiten

Momo's Minion
I hear longer samples make the voice sound airy, but I'm not sure. I can't see I reason why it would. Does utau simply cut off the rest of the recording?