Advice on using UTAU recorded without a mic?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Like, generally talking laptop mics

There's a lot of UTAU with voices I like but their creator didn't have access to a mic when making them so they're pretty hard to mix due to fuzziness

Flags that might help with clarity and tips on mixing them would be nice, if anyone has some :,>

Cine

Certified paint water drinker.
Defender of Defoko
The last time I used a fuzzy lo-fi bank, I remember using the flag C70-C100 w fresamp
Just using really high value "clarity" flag on any given resampler.
A lot of the cleaning up I do is in DAW so I'm not super well versed in flags.

Reactions: Big_B

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Cover/write songs with really loud music and hope that nobody notices the noise and low quality
or, cover super retro songs and use it for effect :smile:

some parts of this article are applicable to utau:
Boosting frequencies around 2.5 KHz for men and 3.5 KHz forw omen with EQ will make the spoken word louder and will help it to cut through. Boosting frequencies around 6 KHz will increase sibilance (the"ssss" sounds in speech) and intelligibility, but it may also increase background noise and hiss, so a light touch is required.

By cutting frequencies below 250 Hz you may be able to turn up the rack's overall volume without distortion. The telephone company discovered long ago that most of the audio information in human speech exists between 300 Hz and 3 KHz, so there's little harm in cutting below 250 Hz for a talking head. But remember that EQ will affect all the sounds in the recording; so a little bit goes a long way.

in general I recommend playing around with EQ in addition to using flags! plus using reverb and other effects to make it blend into the backing track better.

Reactions: Big_B and Nohkara

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Moresampler really helps the most in my opinion but since you can't use resamplers (rip D':smile: mixing is where you'll have to make them sound decent.

In EQing, boost the high-mid range A LOT (maybe more of the mids if you're using a deep male). If you use FL Studio, the vocals enhancer preset for EQUO and Soundgoodizer really help too. You'll also probably need to EQ more than twice, at least once before compressing and after either compressing and adding reverb (or maybe even both). The Chorus effect, even just a little, also helps hide the LQness.

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I generally avoid using those due to my laziness to mix and make thy sound clearer...But I myself use Soundgoodizer on FLStudio, and the Equalizer on a "round mountain" setting...Like some users said above (I didnt read it all sorry) Moresampler really helps a lot...Without flags it sounds clearer but using the flags they will turn a lot better. The "Mb" flag specially...Try applying a -10~-30 value...Cant help much, but it is all I know.

Truly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
the bits discussing "boosting high frequencies" in your Equalizer are about right. consonants are made up of high frequencies, and boosting them will make them clearer, also: small microphones (laptop mics, for instance) will tend to roll off both the high and low ends.

just something worth keeping in mind.

it might also behoove you to add a flanger (light settings, please!) to your vocal track, to help it be more present in the mix. Reverb to help a track settle into the mix is all well and good, but you very well might make muddy vocals muddier. Ideally, a combination of EQ, compression, output gain (ride the fader!), and other effects (reverb, flanger) will give you the results you need in the mix to both allow your vocal track to have the clarity to stand out, and feel organic and mixed in to the rest of the song properly.

Of course, laying vocals over a karaoke track is never going to sound as good as the vocals laid lovingly into the song as part of the original mix.