Am I otoing Japanese VCV in the uniform way correctly, feedbacks are appreciated though

TIAM

Teto's Territory
There's not a lot of tutorials for mac users in UTAU regarding to making voicebanks and other things. I found out weeks ago that Setparam and Oremo and various others use windows instead of mac, then it ended up with making the files through using audacity. I tried downloading oremo and setparam from a file that made a wineskin which it didn't work. I asked around if there was a way to oto vcv on a mac, which they said that I have to look up tutorials on how to oto vcv on a mac or not oto at all and leave it unfinished. In the whole grand scheme of things I really don't want to leave it unfinish and have it haunting me just by looking at it for the rest of my UTAU hell. I found a clip called【UTAU】 連続音/VCV Oto.ini - The Uniform Way 【TUTORIAL】which I am watching around 10 times on how to oto a VCV Japanese voice bank manually. I'm not sure if I had done the first part of the tutorial correctly, I would like feed back on the part which is my first time otoing a VCV voicebank aside from my Japanese CV voicebank which was done from a friend of mine who was helping me with making a UTAU voicebank who did the oto part. I would feel appreciated from the amount of feedback on it tho...

tumblr_oaxz3p7Cre1uzuh9mo1_1280.png

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Disclaimer: I'm not a mac owner and have no way to put this in a mac perspective.

First thing's first:
- I would set the aliases and uniform settings through notepad (or whatever equivalent application you have) rather than tackling VCV through UTAU-Synth's built in configuration from scratch. Once those are all set, it will be a faster process.

Secondly, I would find an up to date tutorial, rather than one made in 2011. The description even says that it's outdated (and it encourages copy-pasting otos from other banks under the assumption that you may be using the very same reclist, recorded at the tempo - just... no).

Third, just from the screencap alone, I can see that you're cutting off the consonant via the offset.

You also need a longer consonant - I'm assuming that's "blank" (at least 300), to set preutterance (red line - where consonant ends), as well as your overlap (the overlap will be half of whatever you set for preutterance - so if preutterance is 250, you want overlap to be 125)

The cutoff (blue to the right; not pictured); I would make that a negative value such as -500 or something (this depends on how short/long your samples are when you transition).

You can always simply ask a member of the community to help you make a base oto and you can work on it from there, rather than work entirely from scratch.

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm sorry that my wine ports of OREMO and Setparam aren't working for you. I'll be working on updating that soon.

The english translations between PC UTAU and UTAU-Synth are a bit different for the OTO parameters.
Offset - Offset
Fixed - Consonant
Blank - Cutoff
Preuttr - Preutterance
Overlap - Overlap

When you open the oto in Textedit, a line of your OTO will probably look like this.
たたちたつてた.wav=たたちたつてた,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0

Use find+replace to find ",0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0" then put in your base values. So if you want Fixed 300, Blank -500, Preutt 200, and Overlap 100, you would type in ",0,300,-500,200,100"
Once everything is saved, you'll have to reload the OTO in UTAU-Synth to see the changes.

UTAU-Synth has some glitches when it comes to duplicating entries in the list. Be careful and only duplicate as many times as you need to. If it's 7 mora, hit "duplicate" six times to get a total of seven lines for one string.

Once the aliases are set up it's just a matter of going through the whole list and actually otoing it.

Js9jFhR.png

It's convenient to have base values for everything, but to fine tune it, the only thing that stays the same is overlap, really. But for convenience, you can just slide the offset around until the preutterance falls into place.

If you want to, I can do the base values and aliases for you.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
From the screenshots, it looks like when you recorded the bank, you paused between each mora. A VCV string should be recorded continuously, so you may have to go back and rerecord the bank. Download an existing voicebank for reference.