Can you make USTs using Garageband?

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
i don't know how to make USTs yet, but pretty much every tutorial I've seen says "you're going to need FL Studio!!11!!!11!1!" and i don't have FL studio obviously or i wouldn't be making this thread lmao

but being a mac user i do have garageband and garageband is kinda similar to FL Studio right? could i make USTs on that? (but honestly even if you could i don't know how yet..)

and i use UTAU synth(which is mac UTAU and its interface is different from windows UTAU) , would that affect anything? and i heard that you have to make a midi and import it to UTAU to insert lyrics. can it be done with garageband? (if yes someone please explain because i don't know)
sorry if this is actually common sense that i don't know.... I'm kind of a noob at this even though I've been already been here for like 5 months...

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Yes you can use any daw as long as you can set the tempo and match your midi track with the original song or vocals to get correct timing.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Yes you can use any daw as long as you can set the tempo and match your midi track with the original song or vocals to get correct timing.
oh okay, thanks! sorry to be annoying but how do i know if its the right tempo and stuff?
(actually tbh i don't know how to make a UST at all and I'm not even sure how to make the midi track and import it or use it at all)

Info-Chan

SELENA Developer
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
oh okay, thanks! sorry to be annoying but how do i know if its the right tempo and stuff?
(actually tbh i don't know how to make a UST at all and I'm not even sure how to make the midi track and import it or use it at all)
There are some songs that you can search it up, ex if you're doing a pop song, but there are programs such as MixMeister for getting BPM/Tempo of mp3 files. To make a midi track in Garageband you simply just make a new instrument and boom, that's your midi track. To export it you export the project as a midi

Reactions: m170

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you're making your UST with UTAU-Synth, chances are that the file will get messed up when used in Windows UTAU. I've tried a few workarounds but they're not reliable. So, if you plan to distribute the UST, you have to specify that it's UTAU-Synth only.

Reactions: Nohkara and m170

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
What can make a midi: any daw or sequencer that has a piano roll where you can place notes should be suitable. Use what's 1. easy for you and 2. accessible to you. You do not need any one specific program to make a midi.

How to determine tempo: you can either tap out the beats and do some math, use a program/app that detects the tempo, or your sequencer/daw of choice may be able to detect it for you (note: machine learned tempos will usually be general and give you a straight average, so you won't get more than one tempo, even if there's a big difference in speed from one section to another. Different programs also give slightly different numbers.)

How to determine key: you didn't ask this in particular, but I'll answer it anyway... Some songs will have sheet music available or it's wiki will state the key it was made in. Failing that, the easiest key to learn is C Major: all natural notes (on an actual piano - all white keys in an octave). You start with that. If not all of the notes seem to suggest C Major, then change any notes that are sharp or flat til you get the closest equivalent to the notes you need for the entire song - assuming no key changes (voices are never in perfect pitch where as electronic instruments generally are - unless detuned - so there might be some dissonance or things may feel a little off at first until you apply the midi to a vocal and pitchbend as needed).

Reactions: m170